Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Vardy Euro 2016 Thread

There was no excuse not to take drinkwater i agree, but again start in the place of who? Rooney played very well in midfield on Saturday, and DD is not better than dier. He's not better than alli either, which would beg the question, when exactly would he get a game when wilshere was always going to feature? 

Based on what I've seen so far, England need Albrighton far more than they need Drinkwater right now - but he's never been anywhere near the England squad, so....

Guest Cujek

I certainly agree vardy should have come on at the very least, personally I would have started him WITH kane on Saturday. In hindsight, kane had his worst game of the season on Saturday, he looked tired to me and didn't play well, but for any of you to not understand why he should be starting is extremely short-sighted and biased although understandable obviously wanting the best for him. Kane still scored more than vardy last year, and has done it two seasons straight now.

There was no excuse not to take drinkwater i agree, but again start in the place of who? Rooney played very well in midfield on Saturday, and DD is not better than dier. He's not better than alli either, which would beg the question, when exactly would he get a game when wilshere was always going to feature? 

I was majorly surprised after the game Saturday with all the negativity surrounding the performance, England played well and took the game to Russia, the issue was the substitutions. The equaliser was a complete sucker punch and never coming until those changes. Too many years have i sat down to watch England only for me to switch off after half an hour watching snail paced football, at least we had a go Saturday. 

Sterling cannot start the next game, vardy must start in his place. Kane will come good though.

ok Woy....

Back to making shitty selections, you shouldnt really have time to post hére.

I certainly agree vardy should have come on at the very least, personally I would have started him WITH kane on Saturday. In hindsight, kane had his worst game of the season on Saturday, he looked tired to me and didn't play well, but for any of you to not understand why he should be starting is extremely short-sighted and biased although understandable obviously wanting the best for him. Kane still scored more than vardy last year, and has done it two seasons straight now.

I was majorly surprised after the game Saturday with all the negativity surrounding the performance, England played well and took the game to Russia, the issue was the substitutions. The equaliser was a complete sucker punch and never coming until those changes. Too many years have i sat down to watch England only for me to switch off after half an hour watching snail paced football, at least we had a go Saturday. 

Sterling cannot start the next game, vardy must start in his place. Kane will come good though.

Yes we've been told over and over spurs have the best forward, Spurs have the best midfield, Spurs have the best back line, Spurs have the best team, Spurs deserve 5 players starting for England. It's shocking we haven't figured this out for ourselves yet but like you say we're short sighted and biased.

Southgate hasn't so much of a 'big club' mentality about him.

Hodgson managed Fulham and WBA. It's his level and when he is sacked he will struggle to get a job in the P/L. His only 'big' club was Liverpool and he messed them up big time and was deservedly sacked. If Southgate is appointed it will be the same players as now as he is yet another FA yes man. It's very depressing.

Based on what I've seen so far, England need Albrighton far more than they need Drinkwater right now - but he's never been anywhere near the England squad, so....

I totally agree. With Albrighton and Townsend in the team England would be far more balanced and would have real threat and pace going forwards. I can never understand why England managers continually pick players and then play them out of position. It happens time and time again. Hodgson is picking Wooney, who has upset the balance of the side, just because he's too stubborn to admit he was wrong. The same thing will happen again when Kane continues to take corners, or to be picked however badly he plays. 

Hodgson managed Fulham and WBA. It's his level and when he is sacked he will struggle to get a job in the P/L. His only 'big' club was Liverpool and he messed them up big time and was deservedly sacked. If Southgate is appointed it will be the same players as now as he is yet another FA yes man. It's very depressing.

I totally agree. With Albrighton and Townsend in the team England would be far more balanced and would have real threat and pace going forwards. I can never understand why England managers continually pick players and then play them out of position. It happens time and time again. Hodgson is picking Wooney, who has upset the balance of the side, just because he's too stubborn to admit he was wrong. The same thing will happen again when Kane continues to take corners, or to be picked however badly he plays.

I don't consider international management that big a challenge. club is much tougher. The current manager is just an illustration of someone who is past his 'sell by date'.

It happens a lot with national coaches.

There's no point in Vardy replacing Sterling. That would mean he would have to play out on the left wing and as we've seen he isn't really that good there. Kane won't be dropped so it is the bench for Vardy.

I thought England were good first half but poor for the first 15 of the second and never really got going afterwards.

The negative subs cost us the win. Also why on earth is Kane taking the corners and free kicks. His corners were absolutely terrible. One went out for a throw in. Surely you want your striker in the box for corners?

We got a draw and probably should have won though Dier's goal was down to poor keeping In my opinion. It went in the middle of the goal and although well struck the keeper should be saving those.

No proper winger and England paid for it.

All those spurs players in the team on Saturday no wonder we bottled it, not enough winners in the team just losers... lol

Same with Belgium!

There's no point in Vardy replacing Sterling. That would mean he would have to play out on the left wing and as we've seen he isn't really that good there. Kane won't be dropped so it is the bench for Vardy.

I thought England were good first half but poor for the first 15 of the second and never really got going afterwards.

The negative subs cost us the win. Also why on earth is Kane taking the corners and free kicks. His corners were absolutely terrible. One went out for a throw in. Surely you want your striker in the box for corners?

We got a draw and probably should have won though Dier's goal was down to poor keeping In my opinion. It went in the middle of the goal and although well struck the keeper should be saving those.

No proper winger and England paid for it.

Same with Belgium!

Hodgson came out and said that Kane is taking corners because he is the best striker of the ball and in training he had the best cross. How embarrassing for our midfielders (or any player for that matter) that they cant cross a ball into the box. How bad must the others be at crossing going off Kanes woeful display at corner taking so far.

Only we could have our only striker on the pitch not be in the box for a corner. Baffling

Hodgson came out and said that Kane is taking corners because he is the best striker of the ball and in training he had the best cross. How embarrassing for our midfielders (or any player for that matter) that they cant cross a ball into the box. How bad must the others be at crossing going off Kanes woeful display at corner taking so far.

Only we could have our only striker on the pitch not be in the box for a corner. Baffling

Hodgson probably confusing "best striker" with "best striker of the ball"!

I'm in agreement entirely with you re some of Hodgson decisions, like kane taking corners, what is a 6'2 bloke on corners for when you have the likes of Rooney who would do certainly do no worse. Same with free kicks, would rather have kane in the box reacting to rebounds than smashing everyone of them over the bar. Kane never gets anywhere near corners at spurs, why he's considered 1st choice at the moment for the country is baffling. 

I don't understand the spurs hate here, if we are bottlers as you say, what about the 16 other teams that finished below us? City did, are they bottlers? What about Leicester for the last 100+ years? Its a silly argument, if you finish below spurs next year have you then bottled it? No, of course you haven't. There is just no balance in some of your arguments. I would have thought ypu winning the league nothing England do could even remotely make you upset, its made some it seems quite bitter and quite self entitled - im surprised by it to be honest. You beat ALL the teams in the league to the title, not just spurs. Not sure why this is clouding the judgment of some in here of anyone who plays for spurs, i have nothing against Leicester at all. 

If just winning the league meant you would play for england,  Michael Carrick would have well over 100 caps for england at this point. 

I'm in agreement entirely with you re some of Hodgson decisions, like kane taking corners, what is a 6'2 bloke on corners for when you have the likes of Rooney who would do certainly do no worse. Same with free kicks, would rather have kane in the box reacting to rebounds than smashing everyone of them over the bar. Kane never gets anywhere near corners at spurs, why he's considered 1st choice at the moment for the country is baffling.

I don't understand the spurs hate here, if we are bottlers as you say, what about the 16 other teams that finished below us? City did, are they bottlers? What about Leicester for the last 100+ years? Its a silly argument, if you finish below spurs next year have you then bottled it? No, of course you haven't. There is just no balance in some of your arguments. I would have thought ypu winning the league nothing England do could even remotely make you upset, its made some it seems quite bitter and quite self entitled - im surprised by it to be honest. You beat ALL the teams in the league to the title, not just spurs. Not sure why this is clouding the judgment of some in here of anyone who plays for spurs, i have nothing against Leicester at all.

If just winning the league meant you would play for england, Michael Carrick would have well over 100 caps for england at this point.

A Spurs fan claiming some of us are self entitled!!

That's rich coming from the most self entitled fans imaginable!

Of course you bottled it!.. All the crap about 'we're coming for you '..Harry Kane's Lions etc!

When the heat was on Spurs bottled it BIG TIME!...

It was wonderful to witness.

I don't consider international management that big a challenge. club is much tougher. The current manager is just an illustration of someone who is past his 'sell by date'.

It happens a lot with national coaches.

Totally agree hodgson is well past his sell by date. Be very interesting to see who gives him a job after he's sacked. I can only think of Newcastle who would consider him!!

The challenge between club and international football is very different though. For club management, they are working with players on a day to day basis, for international management it is more a question of picking the right players and motivating them. hodgson can do neither of these things on an international level. I'm not sure he is now up to much at club level either. He certainly doesn't inspire me.

He was fired from the only English big club he's managed, Liverpool, because he was inept. He was fired from Inter after a big spending spree where he won nothing, he was fired from Blackburn in his second season when bottom of the P/L, and he should never have been given the England job, but, as usual, the FA bottled it because he is a yes man, a safe manager who fits their 'non confrontational' type of manager.

Interestingly, wikipedia has this as his time as Malmo boss. The only time he really achieve success, was with Bob Houghton. The style of play he used in Sweden was nothing like the way England play. 

the defence pressed hard and maintained a high offside line. Their teams counter-attacked with long passes played in behind the opposition's defence. Instead of playing with a team that was very spread out from one end of the field to the other, with a libero who stayed in his penalty area and a centre-forward who never tracked back, they set up a system of zonal defence, a back four, people pushing up and getting the ball forward into the final area much more quickly. Houghton and Hodgson had considerable success, winning five out of six Swedish titles between 1974 and 1979.

I don't understand the spurs hate here, if we are bottlers as you say, what about the 16 other teams that finished below us? City did, are they bottlers? What about Leicester for the last 100+ years? Its a silly argument, if you finish below spurs next year have you then bottled it? No, of course you haven't. There is just no balance in some of your arguments. I would have thought ypu winning the league nothing England do could even remotely make you upset, its made some it seems quite bitter and quite self entitled - im surprised by it to be honest. You beat ALL the teams in the league to the title, not just spurs. Not sure why this is clouding the judgment of some in here of anyone who plays for spurs, i have nothing against Leicester at all. 

If just winning the league meant you would play for england,  Michael Carrick would have well over 100 caps for england at this point. 

I'm afraid you did bottle it....if not the title, certainly second place!

Let's be fair here, you won it, there is no bitterness on my part at all, I'm glad you did if it wasn't us, and believe me, of all spurs fans I know, although we were disappointed we didn't catch you, we would rather you than chelscum or those dribbling gooner messes. It was a great season. The whole 2nd place thing once it's all said and done, what does it matter really, once we couldn't catch you, you're looking to next season.

Maybe to the goons it mattered, it just shows how small time they are when season in season out they celebrate celebrate finishing above one other club. 

Either way, I'm not here looking to start a row, just trying to understand the thought process of some who persistently shit all over spurs players with no argument other than the usual tagine you'll find on a gooners twitter, as opposed to making an argument backed up with fact. 'bottling it' isn't a tangible argument, how do you measure such a thing? As i say, so did the 19 other teams in the league, as none of them won it either. 

All the best for next season anyway. Fixtures tomorrow, happy days. 

Let's be fair here, you won it, there is no bitterness on my part at all, I'm glad you did if it wasn't us, and believe me, of all spurs fans I know, although we were disappointed we didn't catch you, we would rather you than chelscum or those dribbling gooner messes. It was a great season. The whole 2nd place thing once it's all said and done, what does it matter really, once we couldn't catch you, you're looking to next season.

Maybe to the goons it mattered, it just shows how small time they are when season in season out they celebrate celebrate finishing above one other club.

Either way, I'm not here looking to start a row, just trying to understand the thought process of some who persistently shit all over spurs players with no argument other than the usual tagine you'll find on a gooners twitter, as opposed to making an argument backed up with fact. 'bottling it' isn't a tangible argument, how do you measure such a thing? As i say, so did the 19 other teams in the league, as none of them won it either.

All the best for next season anyway. Fixtures tomorrow, happy days.

Think last season was your only chance to ever win the league so you did bottle it big time!

Arguably both Spurs and Arsenal crumble under pressure, hence the 'bottling' thing. Most of the teams below you didn't bottle: they were never in the position to let pressure rip them apart.

The team that's the anthesis of bottling is probably Sunderland: horrendous for most of the season, always manage to have some kind of club crisis, relegation seems to have its claws piercing into their torso inexorably pulling them into the championship, and they still turn up in the last three or four games and get the points required.

Moneyed Spurs, with one of the league's best teams and players, piss away eight points or whatever against worse teams than Leicester's, whose entire team cost four pounds and thirty six pence and each play for three wagon wheels a week... There's your difference.

I hope Vardy scores or something.

I really do have this nasty feeling that Woy bloody Hodgson is going to fook this right up here.

There's already signs. Kane taking corners, Vardy not even brought on and players looking uncomfortable with his tactics. I SO hope I'm wrong on this.

We need to beat Wales on Thursday with an impressive England performance. Not draw with hesitation and nerves. If we crashed out of this tournament due to Woy being frankly, weird, there will be uproar I imagine.

Arguably both Spurs and Arsenal crumble under pressure, hence the 'bottling' thing. Most of the teams below you didn't bottle: they were never in the position to let pressure rip them apart.

The team that's the anthesis of bottling is probably Sunderland: horrendous for most of the season, always manage to have some kind of club crisis, relegation seems to have its claws piercing into their torso inexorably pulling them into the championship, and they still turn up in the last three or four games and get the points required.

Moneyed Spurs, with one of the league's best teams and players, piss away eight points or whatever against worse teams than Leicester's, whose entire team cost four pounds and thirty six pence and each play for three wagon wheels a week... There's your difference.

I hope Vardy scores or something.

Sunderland had three ingredients.

1. Big Sam...so much experience and with an eye for a signing

2. Players who battle. Cattermole springs to mind.

3. A goalscorer.

My bet is they'll now kick on and look much better next season. Allardyce will add to the squad.

Archived