Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DB11

Match Ratings : Hull City 2-1 Leicester City : Vote Now

So so this is going to be a one week trial to see which is more popular - a straight man of the match vote or a player by player rating. 

Please post and discuss your ratings rather than just vote and click out!

I think it'd be a crime to get rid of this wonderful weekly survey and replace it with motm discussion. It's not just about posts, some threads are more important than that to the community.

Still just so this isn't thrown out:

Musa was motm for me, followed closely by Drinky and then Gray.

King gets the lowest mark for me.

Schmeichel  7 - Did OK, could do nothing with goals

Simpson  6 - Exposed for pace

Morgan  7 - Generally did well, but trying to cover for absent Kante meant he was often out of position

Hernandez  6 - As for Morgan (though he never knew what is was like with Kante in the side!).  Sky people criticised him, I think he did OK.

Fuchs  6 - As for Simpson

Mahrez  6 - Tried his best to create something, but nobody else seemed to be there for him

King  4 - Poor, will never be able to do half of what Kante did (and will never be a defensive midfielder)

Drinkwater  5 - Tried his best, but simply had too much to do as the only central midfielder

Gray  5 - Started well, but rapidly faded and shyed out of too many tackles

Vardy  4 - Poor, worst game I've seen him have since his first season in the Championship (looked so much off the pace as if it was an early July Friendly)

Musa  7 - Tried so hard, but just didn't know where he was supposed to play, or what everyone else was supposed to do around him

Subs:

Amartey  5 - Better than King, but not by much

Okazaki  6 - Usual Shinzi, worked hard for the team, tried (and often succeeded) in setting up others, but will never get the goals he's there for 

Ulloa  4 - Didn't even notice he'd come on

Schmeichel 3

Simpson 6

Morgan 4

Hernandez 3

Fuchs 6

Mahrez 5

Drinkwater 7

King 3

Gray 5

Musa 5

Vardy 3

Subs:

Okazaki 6

Amartey 5

Some very generous ratings in this thread. Let's call a spade a spade, some of the individual performances were bloody awful.

Ranieri 4, Dont think King should have started and felt he left subs too late, don't know why he left 4 strikers on either as little creativity, Albrighton would have been good to bring on to help put crosses into the box.

Schmeichel 5, poor distribution, good save before the first goal, not much he could have done about either of the shots.

Fuchs 6, can't remember him doing much wrong and had a good chance to score in the first half

Morgan 5, possibly could have done more for the first goal, understanding not there yet with Hernandez

Hernandez 5, not too bad, looked alright on the ball and looked to move out of defence at times, needs to work on his partnership with Morgan

Simpson 6, not troubled much defensively and tried to make progress up the pitch more then usual, got a yellow but cant remember any other mistakes

Mahrez 5, not back to his best yet but tried and looked better then the pre season games but decision making not quite there yet, could have had a assist for Drinkwater chance

King 3, not visible for 70% of the time he was on the field and when he got the ball rarely looked fowards, choosing to pass backwards or sideways

Drinkwater 7, only player who I thought played consistently well throughout the game, passing fowards making good runs and getting in scoring positions, going to have another good season

Gray 6, decision making needs to improve but he is confident and runs at defenses, bit lightweight but so was Mahrez, needs time to develop at this level but I think he will be a great player

Musa 6, Very good performance when he got the ball, set up 2 good chances for Vardy which he failed to take, few touches were bad and decisions at time where not correct but looks promising

Vardy 3, Yes he hasn't played much football pre season but the only time he got on the ball was infront of goal with chances layed on a plate for him should be scoring or getting on target at least, will find his shooting boots soon and be back scoring

Amartey 5, better then King and would start him next game, didn't get much opportunity but recovered the ball well, looked a bit nervous but give him more game time and possible Kante replacement

Ulloa N/A, cant remember him doing anything mainly because of poor service, not fair to rate on that basis

Okazaki 6, Played much better recently, won some freekicks and linked up play well, should have been on at the start.

I would still stick with 4-4-2 for a few more games at least with Amartey or Mendy partnering Drinkwater. wouldn't hurt trying 4-3-3 against Arsenal though

Also think Okazaki needs to start alongside either Musa or Vardy, would be tempted to start Musa due to how dangerous he looked today but I could understand sticking with Vardy.

5 minutes ago, bald reynard said:

Morgan  7 - Generally did well, but trying to cover for absent Kante meant he was often out of position

Hernandez  7 - As for Morgan (though he never knew what is was like with Kante in the side!)

Mahrez  7 - Tried his best to create something, but nobody else seemed to be there for him

King  4 - Poor, will never be able to do half of what Kante did (and will never be a defensive midfielder)

Drinkwater  5 - Tried his best, but simply had too much to do as the only central midfielder

Vardy  4 - Poor, worst game I've seen him have since his first season in the Championship (looked so much off the pace as if it was an early July Friendly)

Musa  7 - Tried so hard, but just didn't know where he was supposed to play, or what everyone else was supposed to do around him

Subs:

Okazaki  6 - Usual Shinzi, worked hard for the team, tried (and often succeeded) in setting up others, but will never get the goals he's there for 

giphy.gif

Schmeichel 5 backed him whilst he's been slagged off by some other users but his distribution was awful today, but couldn't have done anything with the two goals. 

Simpson 4 looked poor and seems to have forgotten how to defend since last season

Morgan 3 looked very poor without huth next to him and didn't command the box from set pieces

hernandez 3 looked shaky and tried to be too intricate getting himself into trouble 

Fuchs 7 thought he had a pretty good game worked hard and got forward well

mahrez 5 seems to be trying to hard to do the fancy things instead of playing the simple ball and lost it a good few times

drinky 8 motm for us imo did the job of 2 players, looked composed on the ball and played some good passes

king 4 anonymous and didn't really get into the game

gray 5 made some decent runs but held on to it for too long and didn't make the simple pass when it was the best option

vardy 4 worked hard but missed three good chances in the first half

musa 7 played well and looked are biggest outlet 

ulloa 4 needed to hold the ball up better when he came on but barely won a challenge

okazaki 7 worked hard and looks to have improved from last season considerably

amartey 6 looked ok when he came on and think he'd be a better partner for drinky next week

claudio 5 I actually liked his team selection but in hindsight would have been better to start Okazaki to run them ragged at the back and then bring musa on when they were tiring

Musa and Danny 7 - both tried to give the team momentum and on another day, Musa would have had a couple of assists.

Fuchs & Okazaki 6 - played well in patches.

Simpson, Kasper 5 - ok but both looked a little nervous at time. kasper guilty for 2nd goal

mahez 4 - looks slow in both mind and body. Shadow of the player he is.

vardy 4 - missed two sitters and his confidence just drained away.

Gray 4 - lots of fancy dribbles but zero end result. Gave the ball away constantly.

King 3 - played out of position but still went missing in both defence and attack.

Hernandez & Morgan 3 - Comedy double act. Some non city fans around me were laughing at their display. Embarrasing.

Ranieri 3 - Learnt nothing from preseason. Poor selection, poor subs = poor display and a loss. Dilly ding dilly dong time to wake up.

1 hour ago, bald reynard said:

Hernandez  6 - As for Morgan (though he never knew what is was like with Kante in the side!).  Sky people criticised him, I think he did OK.

Mahrez  6 - Tried his best to create something, but nobody else seemed to be there for him

Subs:

Schmeichel did ok could do nothing with the goals! Other than throw the ball out and set up their winning goal. Nice. 

why are people in denial of the fact that kasper schmeichel was almost solely at fault for both of the goals? the first one could very easily have been parried over yet he went for the Hollywood save, and the second was some of the worst distribution I've ever seen in the premier league. drinkwater awful as well and watching 80% of the match. almost zero positives to take from today's match however at the risk of sounding like a moaner I would say that our full backs, despite each being carded looked okay, and probably the only two on the pitch in a blue shirt that were ready for the season to start today!

Musa and Okazaki were probably our best players IMO, and I'm pleased with how they performed, followed by Fuchs and DD (and Amartey for the brief period he was on) who, while making some mistakes, saved our bacon(or whatever the fox equivalent is) several times. Mahrez was poor overall but had some decent contributions and stepped up when it mattered to equalise. I can't decide whether Demarai was disappointing or just lacklustre; he was good on the offensive but gave the ball away far too easily, contributed to Hull's second goal and left an Albrighton-sized hole in the defence. Morgan, Hernandez and Simpson had games to forget. Simpson made a great many mistakes and if he continues this form I'd bench him ASAP. I can forgive Morgan and Hernandez slightly as it was their first proper game together and Wes was playing out of position, but they need to work on their cohesion drastically - otherwise I want Was to be Huth's backup and Luis to be Morgan's. Schmeichel was subpar as well and must work on his distribution. King was very poor but we were playing to his weaknesses; Amartey should've started in his place. Vardy was appalling and he knew it more than any of us.

on the not-so-negative, it's better to have gotten that first loss out of the way and ease the pressure; Phelan said it best before the game that the pressure was exclusively on us with none on them, which is the opposite of how it was last season. We can get our mojo back from here.

You cant rate Morgan higher than hernandez. Wes today should have been exactly what Huth was to him, a calming experienced influence, instead he looked a bombscare himself, losing his man for the first goal. Sitting in the Hull end today, i couldn't help laughing at him tbh, looked so uneasy without Huth. Hernandez had an excuse for a poor performance, Wes didnt.

Schmeichel  Couple of outstanding saves, one major error.

Simpson  did a pretty good job on a poor day

Morgan  Seemed out of position, clumsy and not sharp

Hernandez  looked pretty reasonable to me, good positioning, maybe needs to get used to the physicality

Fuchs  Did ok, think he will find Chilwell pushing past him this year

Mahrez  Seemed frustrated, again a little rusty (and even though it goes against my natural instincts...looks like he has been distracted)

King  Very disapointing game

Drinkwater - Worked hard, tried everything but still also loked rusty

Gray  Think he was sent out and told to run at them and try everything, he did well, just lacked a finish

Vardy  Not fit, worst game ive seen from him in a LONG time

Musa  Did all he could, he needs to actually be a little greedy.. will take time for him and Vards to gell.

Subs:

Amartey  not bad, need to see more

Okazaki  best on ground for us

Ulloa  meh

Ranieri didnt make the changes early enough.

Think we are not fit, and rusty the preseason hasnt worked for us, we arent PSG or Barca and cant afford to play them as our warm up games.

We look as though we havent had the ball at our feet enough in practice/pre season

We also need to be aware that teams will play us, the way we played the big teams last year, they are going to give us possession time and we need a plan.

Disapointing but not unexpected start to the season - welcome back to normality

Ranieri 4 Underestimated the opposition with very attacking line up. Neither Mahrez nor Gray defend well, so piled the pressure on a midfield missing Kante.

Kasper 4 Looked a stone overweight and could have done better for both goals. Distribution poor.

Simpson 6 Having to be very defensive with Mahrez moping in front of him, doing 2 players jobs.

Hernandez 5 Communication poor with Wes. Better as RB or as part of a back 3 at the end.

Morgan 4 Also a stone overweight and not in command of that defence

Fuchs 7 the best of our defenders and aggressive going forward. Looks fit and ready.

Mahrez 3 missed loads of passes, poor defensively, predictable moves. Clearly distracted

King 5 good positioning, but not the aggressive presence needed

Drinkwater 5 looks fit and ready but needs an outlet. Also distracted by contract talk.

Gray 4 good going forward but woeful in defence. Exposed the midfield badly.

Vardy 3 and at least he knows it. Will come right.

Musa 7 and MOTM some real creative work. Not selfish enough with the ball. Will be a star when he integrates better

Amartey 5 did alright but chasing the game at that point.

Okazaki 6 great link up play, seems to understand Musa intuitavely.

Ulloa 5 too late to make a difference.

Hull 7 they had done their homework while we had not. Looked a tight knit team. I can see them staying up. Must have impressed new prospective owners.

9 hours ago, phildw said:

Schmeichel did ok could do nothing with the goals! Other than throw the ball out and set up their winning goal. Nice. 

Yeah cause losing possession on the half way line with many players back means the team cannot a goal. Wait what? You could easily argue that it was Gray's fault for not anticipating it.  Or Simpson not clearing it better, or the hopeless organization in the middle of the defence. The scapegoating commences after one game... 

Archived