Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Welcome Islam Slimani

3 minutes ago, dbtcity said:

When you think about the fact Oka gets whipped off after 60 mins every game he's basically missed 12 games over the course of a season so it's hard to compare his distance covered to most others, I bet his stats still look good compared to most people over 90 mins though

Fine.  My argument was countering the other guy who said that Shinji covered the most distance of all LCFC players. The fact remains that this statement was simply untrue.

4 minutes ago, murphy said:

Fine.  My argument was countering the other guy who said that Shinji covered the most distance of all LCFC players. The fact remains that this statement was simply untrue.

It depends where you look http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/672407/Premier-League-most-distance-each-team-2015-16-pictures

for the record I'm not trying to not pick I guess they just break it down differently 

44 minutes ago, dbtcity said:

It depends where you look http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/672407/Premier-League-most-distance-each-team-2015-16-pictures

for the record I'm not trying to not pick I guess they just break it down differently 

OK, I am willing to concede he is industious although your source is at odds with mine.  My original post that prompted a barrage of scorn said that he runs around and falls over a lot.  I just want to see an end product from him.  Shinji said himself that he was angry at his lack of goals, but for me someone playing in that withdrawn striker role needs to provide assists and a much better pass completion rate.

2 hours ago, murphy said:

My statement was not simply untrue I used official stats from the premier league website 

Stats don't pick up stuff like off the ball running (which Shinji is a complete genius at) which gets the team a lot of goals.

His stats suggest he's awful, but I don't think we'd score nearly as many goals without someone like that in the side.

You need players like that in a successful team and it sounds like Slimani is a similar player but less pacy and more aerial presence.

This is an odd analogy, but Shinji is roughly the equivalent of the fullback in American Football.

The fullback is an offensive player who can sometimes be quite involved in scoring, and moving the ball forwards. However, the best fullbacks in offensive systems that use them are often players whose willingness and skill in sacrificing their body on behalf of the team (by blocking a defender, neutralizing the defensive efforts of the opposing team, or creating an opening for the ball to be moved forward and to score) is combined with the ability, if need be, take on the role of the scoring threat.

2 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Stats don't pick up stuff like off the ball running (which Shinji is a complete genius at) which gets the team a lot of goals.

His stats suggest he's awful, but I don't think we'd score nearly as many goals without someone like that in the side.

You need players like that in a successful team and it sounds like Slimani is a similar player but less pacy and more aerial presence.

I would argue that Slimani is faster than Okazaki

1 hour ago, UPinCarolina said:

This is an odd analogy, but Shinji is roughly the equivalent of the fullback in American Football.

The fullback is an offensive player who can sometimes be quite involved in scoring, and moving the ball forwards. However, the best fullbacks in offensive systems that use them are often players whose willingness and skill in sacrificing their body on behalf of the team (by blocking a defender, neutralizing the defensive efforts of the opposing team, or creating an opening for the ball to be moved forward and to score) is combined with the ability, if need be, take on the role of the scoring threat.

Nice try.  You're easily satisfied. 

This is like the emperor's new clothes.  I'm the only one that can see he's got no pants on.  

...Actually...come to think about it...I'm not.  Go to any match day thread and you'll find he is just about the most complained about player.

1 hour ago, murphy said:

This is like the emperor's new clothes.  I'm the only one that can see he's got no pants on.  

...Actually...come to think about it...I'm not.  Go to any match day thread and you'll find he is just about the most complained about player.

It seems like you simply have a vendetta against the man. Either that, or extremely stubborn in the face of a great deal of evidence that has been presented in refutation of your assertions. 

Mahrez, Simpson, Albrighton, Kasper are all scapegoats on match days, every bit or more than Shinji is. He has rarely placed a foot wrong since the stretch run to the title last season, and certainly hasn't been an impediment in any way through the first three matches of this campaign. 

3 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

It seems like you simply have a vendetta against the man. Either that, or extremely stubborn in the face of a great deal evidence that has been presented in refutation of your assertions. 

Mahrez, Simpson, Albrighton, Kasper are all scapegoats on match days, every bit or more than Shinji is. He has rarely placed a foot wrong since the stretch run to the title last season, and certainly hasn't been an impediment in any way through the first three matches of this campaign. 

I'm with you and all those that see how the contribution Okazaki gives us outweighs any negatives........amazes me we weren't relegated last year with all those so so game day players!!!

Slim will also be a great addition if his past few years are any indication and will fit in well with this average lot we have that won the league.

1 hour ago, murphy said:

There's no doubting he could add more to his game ie a few assists and goals as you'd expect that of a player that plays in his position.... That being said his donkey work plays a big part in what we do, i guess we'll see how important to our style of play he is over the next couple of months as I fully expect he'll be the fall guy for slimani coming into the team 

27 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

Intelligence is demonstrable in the posts you make - so, to say I know nothing about your intelligence, perception or powers of understanding would be underestimating my intellect. If I get off my 'high horse' then the Forum will have lost the challenging ideas, provocative opinions and ..................

............ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Who'd a thought Donald Sutherland would turn out to be such a bell end.

Gerbold"s posts are at least constructive and thought out whether you agree with him or not. Some of the knee-jerk posts on here (pick a player) have Simpson for England or Simpson dropped from the team after a single game. Slimani will likely be under immense scrutiny on here after a single match. With Okazaki some like me can see clearly the quality he adds to the team where others cannot get by his lightweight performances when he was easily knocked off the ball. Yes this did occur but his other qualities far outweigh this negative and if you care to be reasonable you'll notice he has improved massively in this area this year

I hope Slimani if he gets off to a shaky start he will at least be given some time to adjust before the vultures trash his play

On 02/09/2016 at 10:35, jammie82uk said:

According to stats from last season Shinji ran on average a game the most distance of anyone in our team over the course of the season 

Key point being "on average"? He can put more in for the first 60 as he knows he's coming off. Where as others have to conserve their energy, if he stayed on for the 90 that average would drop like a stone I'd guess.

@murphy is clearly going over the top, Shinji adds a lot to the team and we've missed his industry and work rate when he's out of the team, he's been great so far this season (despite not scoring). But I fail to see how anyone can try and defend his goal scoring and assists (or lack of), the club didn't try and sign Deeney and haven't spent £30m on Slimani hoping for 5 goals and 0 assists from a striker. Yes the amount of work he's asked to do will take away some of his attacking edge, as it will Slimani. But he's rarely a threat, doesn't seem particularly good at shooting... and I can't even remember him getting close to an assist.

@Gerbold Not sure about your list of players there, many of them being recognised as having their worst ever seasons, in teams performing no where near our level, only one of them actually being a striker and most of them getting way more than ZERO assists.

2 hours ago, DanNDH88 said:

Pretty sure i've just seen Ulloa drive past me in sheffield, off to wednesday on loan or something? 

Isn't the loan window shut now, don't think it's like before ain't all loan dealings have to be in the transfer windows for all leagues now 

Archived