Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

Football Manager 2017

21 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I maintain there are some games where you simply can't win. 21 shots to 3, god knows how many saves from their keeper, their goal, two completely stupid **** ups from my centre half and then the keeper.

I hate to be that guy but it's your set up, how many of those shots were on target? You're most probably too aggressive against a side playing more conservatively 

8 minutes ago, Wookie said:

I hate to be that guy but it's your set up, how many of those shots were on target? You're most probably too aggressive against a side playing more conservatively 

9. We're creating good chances but nothing came off. They get gifted one half chance and get gifted the goal too.

I'm doing well this season, right up near the top again, just think that particular game there was little I could've done. That game was a bit of a one off.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Have you tried re-installing? Think I can count on one hand my football manager crashes over ten years.

I've tried that already mate, cleared cache and deleted old saves too. Could it be the amount of leagues im running or my badge//kit/face packs?

1 hour ago, Beliall said:

I've tried that already mate, cleared cache and deleted old saves too. Could it be the amount of leagues im running or my badge//kit/face packs?

Neither of those make sense.

Your graphics will either fail to load of they won't, they're just png images and some basic config files that link them to objects in the game. If they're broken they just won't display.

As for loading more leagues, it's just more lines of data. Like having more records in a spreadsheet or database so your queries take longer to run.

FM is essentially a big Access database with an RNG built in.

If your crashes are in fact memory related then yes it's probably your database size but you'd need a pretty shoddy PC for that and I thought you had quite q tidy one?

Unless your RAM is being taken up by something else but then you'd notice because peformance in general would be crap. It would be unplayably slow before crashing if it was memory related I'd imagine.

Try it out though. Move your graphics folder to your desktop temporarily and see if that works. Then try a new game with a smaller database.

Is it just doing it on the one save? Because the more likely answer to me is that your save file has become corrupted in which case it's ****ed and probably not repairable but at least the game and your machine are OK.

8 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Neither of those make sense.

Your graphics will either fail to load of they won't, they're just png images and some basic config files that link them to objects in the game. If they're broken they just won't display.

As for loading more leagues, it's just more lines of data. Like having more records in a spreadsheet or database so your queries take longer to run.

FM is essentially a big Access database with an RNG built in.

If your crashes are in fact memory related then yes it's probably your database size but you'd need a pretty shoddy PC for that and I thought you had quite q tidy one?

Unless your RAM is being taken up by something else but then you'd notice because peformance in general would be crap. It would be unplayably slow before crashing if it was memory related I'd imagine.

Try it out though. Move your graphics folder to your desktop temporarily and see if that works. Then try a new game with a smaller database. 1

Is it just doing it on the one save? Because the more likely answer to me is that your save file has become corrupted in which case it's ****ed and probably not repairable but at least the game and your machine are OK. 2

1  I will try this, see if it crashes. I'm like you, previously I have had no crashes in my old FM games

2. This is what my worry is. Its a journeyman save in 2027 now, started with nothing, now at "oil rich" Celta Vigo, would hate to restart

3 hours ago, Beliall said:

1  I will try this, see if it crashes. I'm like you, previously I have had no crashes in my old FM games

2. This is what my worry is. Its a journeyman save in 2027 now, started with nothing, now at "oil rich" Celta Vigo, would hate to restart

If your PC is relatively modern, peformance besides the crashing is fine and other games are working ok then I'd put cash money on your save being corrupt.

Do you have an earlier version of it from before the crashing began or do you only save over one file?

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

If your PC is relatively modern, peformance besides the crashing is fine and other games are working ok then I'd put cash money on your save being corrupt.

Do you have an earlier version of it from before the crashing began or do you only save over one file?

I have a 3 file rolling auto save and a few manual saves now as I save before and after each game, all of them have crashed i suspect

Did I mention I've signed Zsolt Laczko for Honved lol I didn't even do it for the funny factor, he's genuinely the ideal left back for my system. Got him for £100k from Paks who got relegated.

I'm also looking at Futacs. Yet again he could be the ideal man.

Puskas Akademia have some decent players, they've come up on mine and I hope they drop again, got a really tidy CAM I like the look of.

It is very easy to sign players on the cheap. I got a £1.2mil budget, signed a good 10 players and I've still got the bulk of that budget left.

We're a very funny side we are. Our last ten league games have seen us score 0 0 0 6 3 0 0 0 0 7. Seven nil's in ten games is actually pretty awful and I didn't realise it had gotten that bad but we've kept about as many clean sheets, and we are still 3rd out of 12. MTK and Videoton are running away with it at the minute, bit miffed about MTK as I reckon I've got a better squad than them. No idea where this run's come from. Reckon Videoton will win the league.

That last game was hilarious. Beat Vasas 7-1, it's one of those where again I almost felt there was nothing I could do that would change the outcome - Laczko picks up on some silly error, hits a tame effort at goal and it rolls straight through the keeper. It felt scripted again.

Am quite enjoying this save though. The plan for me was to try and make the Hungarian league strong again. Wanted something different that would take ages but I do think it can be done. The Ferencvaros job has just come up as they've done a Chelsea/Leicester and imploded after romping the league. It's tempting because they're on another level to the rest of the league although I quite like what's happening at Honved. Feel like this team's far stronger than it was when I took over it.

The domestic league is too easy now.

Screen_Shot_2017_02_06_at_11_28_03_AM.pn

I still struggle to get out of the group in the Champions League - once in 4 seasons. But not sure that challenge is not really worth sticking about for as I can't really ever attract the quality of player to get much further... And I'm always forced to sell my sh*t-hot youngsters to bigger clubs when they start to get really good.

37 year old Gokhan Inler is still a good backup for my CDM.

38 minutes ago, TheMightySystem said:

Checkatrade trophy rules can bugger off. Im currently playing a league 2 team that has just been promoted from the conference and I have managed to get to the final to face Arsenal U23 which has Ross Barkley in. Wish me luck. Wish I edited the rules before I started this save.

Lost on penalties after keeping it 1-1. Went in the lead before Barkley scored. Should make it so when out the group stages its just youth players and no over 23s. Stupid system.

Bit annoying to have a glitch:

Signed Cameron Brannagan in my first season at Villa in the Championship. (Now in my second season in the PL and he is unhappy that I haven't kept one of his contract promises: "plays in CM with the role of roaming playmaker"

I've been playing him in that exact position and role for 1.5 seasons and now he wants to leave :( Try to talk to him, but the FM screen was blank with no options to hold a conversation and no writing on the message in the inbox. Slightly annoying.

In December and currently 13th. Top three are running away with it. It's incredible the players the top clubs have got - all are world class! 

I'm getting thrashed by the big clubs when playing away from home: even when I play with my defensive formation; their firepower is relentless! Any advice to deal with away performance against some of the best teams in the world? Try to go for the win (I have done that twice and conceded +5goals) or accept the loss but with minimal damage?

23 hours ago, maynefox said:

Bit annoying to have a glitch:

Signed Cameron Brannagan in my first season at Villa in the Championship. (Now in my second season in the PL and he is unhappy that I haven't kept one of his contract promises: "plays in CM with the role of roaming playmaker"

I've been playing him in that exact position and role for 1.5 seasons and now he wants to leave :( Try to talk to him, but the FM screen was blank with no options to hold a conversation and no writing on the message in the inbox. Slightly annoying.

In December and currently 13th. Top three are running away with it. It's incredible the players the top clubs have got - all are world class! 

I'm getting thrashed by the big clubs when playing away from home: even when I play with my defensive formation; their firepower is relentless! Any advice to deal with away performance against some of the best teams in the world? Try to go for the win (I have done that twice and conceded +5goals) or accept the loss but with minimal damage?

I've just started with villa too after a couple of good long saves.... it's a good challenge clearing out the crap!

I've highlighted one of your points as this has annoyed me with this years game (i'm never one to get annoyed because I live for this game but this has) it all gets a bit China in 2018.. mad really, it's the sort of thing that used to happen in like 2024 on old games when you went to Real Madrid and they had a 400 million transfer budget... thing is it's happening second season now!

just managed to play a couple of hours with no crashes. haven't changed anything, but i did start a new save last time i was on, that didnt crash either, then returned to my old save, hopefully whatever the problem was has resolved itself

Halfway through first season with Leicester. 12th in league and somehow finished bottom of champions league group despite only losing once. Andy King is being a knob and I'm struggling to find a decent attacking right back. Apart from that it's going great!

5 hours ago, Vocey said:

Halfway through first season with Leicester. 12th in league and somehow finished bottom of champions league group despite only losing once. Andy King is being a knob and I'm struggling to find a decent attacking right back. Apart from that it's going great!

Pedro Pereira at Sampdoria, I signed him for about £8m and he goes on to be one of the best RBs in the world

not sure if it's linked with the latest update of the game, but I'm so glad to see keepers going up in the last minute for corners now. this instance was the opposition keeper coming up against me and although I didn't score from it after the ball was cleared, it's much better to see rather than them staying on their line when their team is pushing for an equaliser lol 

On 07/02/2017 at 16:31, AjcW said:

I've just started with villa too after a couple of good long saves.... it's a good challenge clearing out the crap!

I've highlighted one of your points as this has annoyed me with this years game (i'm never one to get annoyed because I live for this game but this has) it all gets a bit China in 2018.. mad really, it's the sort of thing that used to happen in like 2024 on old games when you went to Real Madrid and they had a 400 million transfer budget... thing is it's happening second season now!

Yep, I'm the mid-2020s and China are now a force and producing young talents!

I'm currently 6th with Villa in February. It doesn't feel that I've deserved to be in this position in my first season in the PL. More the fact that top4 are miles ahead; then, from 5th-14th it is really tight!

Derby currently sat bottom with 7th points ... FM proving it is well and truly realistic! 

15 games unbeaten... lose one or two and now can't win at all. Turn of the new year I've now played 8 won 0.

Pisses me off. End up losing to teams who get battered every week.

Slipped out of the play offs to 14th. Wouldn't be surprised if they sacked me.

Lose far too many at home. Reckon I'm destined for 3rd again.

Totally outplayed over-achieving MTK at home yet they won the game, which sums up why they're above me. They could actually win the league.

Ferencvaros appoint sacked no-mark and are still struggling. It'd be funny if they went down but it would seriously damage my long term objective of this save as they're comfortably the most established club in the league. Having them out of the top tier would weaken it.

Archived