Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Burnley (H) Post Match Thread 3 - 0

44 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Be realistic.  Mahrez has picked his game up considerably and was totally involved today. "Hatred" doesn't come into it. The bloke gets praised when he does well and makes the kind of contribution we all know he's capable of and he gets criticised when he gives less than his best. 

That's the way it is with everyone and I'd say it's pretty constructive on here most of the time and might even help in some small way to make players look at their performances and improve some.

Amartey's an example in point. I don't know what's influenced him since the Liverpool game but there's no comparing the quality of his last two games compared with his Anfield effort.

Most of all he didn't ball watch so much or dive in when the ball wasn't there to be won. So full credit to him. 

Comments reflected his improvement in the main. The club sets standards and the fans want them maintained. Happily we seem to have a squad of players who are all keen to improve themselves anyway.

There were no excuses made after Liverpool by anyone - fans, management or players. Just a determination to put things right and do justice to ourselves. And that's how it should be.               .   

I think a big difference with Dan has been he's up against teams who move the ball slower and nowhere near as much movement from the oppo. 

3 out of 4 he's had very decent games. Exposed against the very best, yes. But at 21, he's showing potential of growing into a great CM.

Watched 2nd half on an iffy stream that was couple of mins behind actual match...THought the variety and mix of our Attacks was brill....REally liked the sequence of 3 possibly 4 corners one after the other....each one was different and really caused them problems....UNlucky not to score from a couple of them...great to see the hard work from training sessions being used in a match ...

33 minutes ago, Raj said:

,You think it's right that Mahrez and infact ANY of last seasons Premier League winners should be getting critisism after the first few games? 

They ALL deserve respect and if that did mean a slow start to the season after the dizzying heights of last season do be it.

You don't become a crap player and accept criticism from fans after a few dodgy games from being an integral part of the team and PFA player of the year.

Anyway,not gonna get into any boring arguments after a 3-0 win!

Enjoy!!!

A bad performance should be fair game for any player.

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

A bad performance should be fair game for any player.

Yeah your right!!!..God help us if we sign Aguero and he doesn't score for 2games,the RL phone in would be in meltdown.

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I think a big difference with Dan has been he's up against teams who move the ball slower and nowhere near as much movement from the oppo. 

3 out of 4 he's had very decent games. Exposed against the very best, yes. But at 21, he's showing potential of growing into a great CM.

Entirely agree.

The guy's developing a presence and I'm impressed that, for such a young and clearly strong player, he doesn't go clattering people and giving daft free-kicks away when things go wrong.

I don't mean he'll never do it, just that it doesn't seem to be his instinct - he remains composed and that's a big plus at the top level where impulsive reactions can cost a match.

1 hour ago, Harry - LCFC said:

I'm not sure it was the Leicester of last season actually.

In terms of how we dominated the second half, with Zieler barely touching the ball, it did remind me of games last season where there was no way that we would let a lead slip, playing some neat football

19 minutes ago, Raj said:

Yeah your right!!!..God help us if we sign Aguero and he doesn't score for 2games,the RL phone in would be in meltdown.

If someone plays badly are we meant to ignore it? So long as it's tempered with the fact they are capable of being excellent I don't see the issue.

1 hour ago, Raj said:

Slimani is defo an upgrade on ulloa and Okazaki. Good Ariel threat.

I liked the way how he combined instinctively with Mahrez - they obviously have a vey good understanding. He's a honest, hardworking sort of player that will give his all for the team. The nearest equivalent (albeit a vast difference in quality) I can think of in a City shirt would be Alan Young - strong in the air, distributing the ball to team mates and physical

18 minutes ago, dayday said:

Some of our movement second half was exceptional ,and as for Slimani, I can see him and Vardy being like the Lineker and Smith of old.

Is Mahrez a bit like Charlie Chan Stevie Lynex? Lynex was better at penalties - didn't miss many!

Dyche got it wrong today and gifted us the game.  5 in the middle?  Who did he think they were,  Liverpool? 

But we were excellent.  We can only beat who is in front of us. Given the space an time,  we can play.  Drinkwater is phenomenal. I think Kanté's departure will just make him a better player.   Lord help us if he's injured/suspended.

Surprised CR didn't use all subs.  I thought Albrighton looked tired.  At 3 up,  he could have brought on Gray earlier AND Musa,  just to let them run at a tired and given up defence.

I expect a near completely changed side against Chelsea  midweek. If Mendy's fit then he' ll start.  I think CR will need to have a look at him for Man U at the weekend.  Amartey stuttered today,  wasn't AS good as we know he can be -  and there was space today to shine. 

Slimani's the biz.  I  can see why we signed him.  He's like Okazaki and Ulloa in one player.  Work's hard,  drops deep,  gives us options and can score. Perfect. 

I don't know whether anyone saw the Chelsea match last night?

I know that Kante has gone and we should forget about him, but did anyone else think how ineffective and uninspiring he looked in the role that Chelsea ask him to play? He sits in front of the defensively weak centre halves and just distributes the ball sideways (a la Ray Wilkins). I couldn't remember any interceptions or surges forward. Surely, even he might by thinking - Champions League, high profile player in a system that brings the best out of him...

25 minutes ago, dayday said:

Some of our movement second half was exceptional ,and as for Slimani, I can see him and Vardy being like the Lineker and Smith of old.

I see them being better. But only for the reason they have a better team around them. Lineker and Smith never had a team that looked like top eight let alone win it. Not saying we will win it again but Slim has walked into a championship winning side less one.

But I do think with Amarty And mendy we are not so short. But the bonus is we look better up front. Slim Vardy n Musa we have so much more this year.

11 minutes ago, 49er said:

I don't know whether anyone saw the Chelsea match last night?

I know that Kante has gone and we should forget about him, but did anyone else think how ineffective and uninspiring he looked in the role that Chelsea ask him to play? He sits in front of the defensively weak centre halves and just distributes the ball sideways (a la Ray Wilkins). I couldn't remember any interceptions or surges forward. Surely, even he might by thinking - Champions League, high profile player in a system that brings the best out of him...

Spot on. A friend of mine is a Chelsea season ticket holder and I was telling him that Kante is not being used to his full potential by Conte right now. For us he literally ran the show in some games (the legendary Man City away performance comes to mind). Anyway no point crying over spilt milk, it will be interesting to see how Chelsea do come the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, sylofox said:

But I do think with Amarty And mendy we are not so short. But the bonus is we look better up front. Slim Vardy n Musa we have so much more this year.

I think if Mendy emerges as the player that we all hoped he would be, in terms of getting somewhere close to a replacement for Kante, then we have a good chance to give the Champions League and Premiership a real go. If Claudio has bought in the right guy in Mendy, his reputation as a genius will be assured.

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

Spot on. A friend of mine is a Chelsea season ticket holder and I was telling him that Kante is not being used to his full potential by Conte right now. For us he literally ran the show in some games (the legendary Man City away performance comes to mind). Anyway no point crying over spilt milk, it will be interesting to see how Chelsea do come the end of the season.

I agree that he's gone, and good luck to him. I can't see Chelsea doing particularly well - defensively poor and no real threat up front. They are totally reliant on Hazard having a stellar season - not much evidence last night that he will reach the heights of two years ago.

Thanks Thracian you've said it all so eloquently that I couldn't compete really. Well done.

I'll just add that it's clear CR has been working on our interplay because some of it was scintillating today. 

With Slimani we now have many more options up top and I feel we are more balanced than last season.

Amartey growing into the position with every game. Difficult call for CR when Mandy's back.

Everyone bordering 8s and a few 9s.

Archived