Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Burnley (H) Post Match Thread 3 - 0

A very important win. A convincing, routine victory against opponents who parked the bus. Finally in Slimani we seem to have that quality strike partner for Vardy, both are 20 goal a season men which is fantastic to have. Finally, it puts to rest those horrible memories of the 0-1 home defeats to Burnley between 2002 and 2008.

I'm not sure it was the Leicester of last season actually.

We didn't play counter-attacking football that much. Slimani was often used as a target man to start our attacks. We got the ball wide more than usual I felt - Vardy found himself on the wings quite often himself - and when we got there we put a lot of high crosses into the box. Simpson and Fuchs also got themselves quite far forward several times which is unusual for us.

All of that was because our new signing excels in several areas. Others will talk about his game in detail but I noted that his strength, aerial ability as well as his excellent touch and hold-up play meant we could approach the game differently to how we have done before.

Going forward we're now in a position to play a variety of styles if we want to.

The "Leicester of last season" would have scraped that one nil, with probably just the late own goal.

We dominated them and created plenty of tidy chances. Slimani looks like he could make a big difference.

He's a lot more mobile and has much more finesse than I gave him credit for. I really like him, fair play.

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

The "Leicester of last season" would have scraped that one nil, with probably just the late own goal.

We dominated them and created plenty of tidy chances. Slimani looks like he could make a big difference.

He's a lot more mobile and has much more finesse than I gave him credit for. I really like him, fair play.

Said in the other thread his awareness was brilliant. Much more then just a physical presence. Control improved 100% on Wednesday with some incredible link ups and passing. Him Vardy and Mahrez linked up so well.

Enjoyed that.

They were shit but think we were good.

It was a comfortable win, Slimani looks impressive! Zieler also looked good...His kicks stayed in play, consistantly, I've forgot what that feels like!

I think we're finally getting up to full strength and speed now, easy to say after beating Burnley 3-0 and I wasn't saying that last week after losing 4-1 to Liverpool (Although I still say 4-1 flatter Liverpool - They deserved to win, but not sure by that margin, anyway that was last week.), we'll review that next week after Man Utd...lol

Absolutely spot on! Claudio stuck into a few after Liverpool and it's hit home!

Slim was incredible, different class, he's like if Apple made a version of Ulloa! 

I would however love  to see him play with Okazaki, Oka has never had the chance to play as a number 9 and if we give Vardy a rest it's a change I'd like to see.

having said that I'd guess the change would be Musa 

Slimani is defo an upgrade on ulloa and Okazaki. Good Ariel threat.

Where's all the Mahrez haters now from a couple of weeks ago???

Really good solid performance from us.

Credit to Burnley fans too for making some decent noise.

Onwards and upwards!!!

28 minutes ago, Livid said:

Very very happy with that.

First half  we showed flashes, Second half we schooled them.

Everyone of our lot was superb. Zieler changing direction to make that save was amazing.

Special shout out to to Dumb as F**k Burnley fan after the game 'They may be champions but if you took Mahrez and Vardy out they would be shit' Yep removing the PFA and Premier League Player of the year may have an effect on the performance of the side.

There was another Burnley fan coming out up Burnmoor Street chuntering that we were lucky, we have to rely on own goals, the first goal should have been a throw in to Burnley and that we got the stadium out of the administration.

Bitter old fool came out of my mouth without even thinking.

Thrilled with our team today - lots of positives worth mentioning - including the considerable achievement of remaining unbeaten at home for a calendar year and with such style too.

Burnley were exactly what i expected. Organised, competitive, spoilers. That's spelt "struggle" for us in the past but we matched them for all those assets then took them apart with some scintillating football.

I must admit to asking myself what made Slimani worth £29 million after half an hour. The last 46 minutes I understood exactly.

The bloke gives us an extra dimension we've been lacking for a long time - a Bob Latchford-type aerial finisher who links in with others, holds the ball up, has a good touch and works off the ball as well. 

That's not intended to be critical of Ulloa who's much under-rated and under-utilised as a support striker. But Ulloa doesn't often often play in any case and what we've had in Shinji is a willing body and heart but precious little goals threat and even less so in the air.

Today the crosses of our wingers had a real target and once we started putting some fast passing together second half we showed what a variety of attacking ideas we could come up with and how devastating they could be.

Just as readily as I (rightly) criticised Amartey against Liverpool I'll willingly sing his praises today because the man was involved in so much for us today both in breaking up attacks and setting them in motion, both on the floor and in the air.

He did the simple things sensibly, didn't get caught out much by a Burnley team that didn't have much movement in any case and he didn't dive in when it wasn't on to win the ball.

That's three out of four decent games starting with Swansea (I didn't see Hull) and he looks ever more promising. I just want to see how he deals with the next team that tries to cut us apart with movement. And whether he can adapt and read the game and the runs well enough to cope.

Today's was the kind of all-round, entirely committed, Leicester performance which won us the title with no-one rating less than seven and several climbing higher.

It still concerns me that Albrighton doesn't always make the best of his crosses, being inclined to take a touch too many, failing to get sufficient lift or insisting on turning back onto his favoured right foot which he could surely rectify with a modicum of sustained effort. He also seems only half decided when he shoots rather than completely committed and convinced he has a chance to score.

But he still had an excellent game, Mahrez was magical at times, Slimani a deadly inspirition, Vardy a willing, even subtle creator (because he did seem to lift that final touch deliberately onto Slimani for our second goal and, oh yes, Drinkwater was immense. 

Zieler probably had the least to do as a shot stopper as I've ever seen for a Leicester keeper but deserves credit for being alert enough to react to the deflection on their late free kick and so prevent a clean sheet being ruined and to help give us two clean sheets in a row which could, hopefully build the defenders' confidence back to the levels of last season.

Again, they had little to do really but did it well and that's what matters. Suddenly we looked like a formidable unit again and excited about what's ahead of us. 

Well done, one and all. Some of the football was a joy to see.                        

Feel really sorry for Burnley.

Since obviously losing David 'better than Drinkwater' Jones to Real Madrid this summer, they haven't looked at their best. Today, it was clear that Scott 'on par with Mahrez' Arfield was under the weather, the reason behind his poor performance and him eventually getting hooked.

A quick shout out to Steven 'he's too good for Burnley' Defour, nah, i don't think so.

Comfortable win and just what the team needed I can't fault any of the team today they all put a shift in and got their reward 3 points on the board.  For me Slimani man of the match not just for his goals but his alround performance he was everywhere on that pitch today and gives us all a lot of hope for the future.   Another couple of players who really caught my eye were Amartey who seems to be growing into the role more and will hopefully be a great player one day but another player was Albrighton I thought some of his crossing was excellent. All in all a good 3 points now on to Chelsea.

5 minutes ago, Crazy Kop Corner said:

There was another Burnley fan coming out up Burnmoor Street chuntering that we were lucky, we have to rely on own goals, the first goal should have been a throw in to Burnley and that we got the stadium out of the administration.

Bitter old fool came out of my mouth without even thinking.

Well we won't see them for abit at the of the season.  Dyche will be moaning to hell

Guest CityFan 06

3-0, 3pts. Excellent all round team performance today. Slimani, Mahrez and Fuchs all very good. Actually I thought Fuchs was outstanding and my MOTM. On Burnley's front, Keane was impressive and we did well to contain Andre Gray etc.

Important victory. Unbeaten at home in a year. 

4 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Thrilled with our team today - lots of positives worth mentioning - including the considerable achievement of remaining unbeaten at home for a calendar year and with such style too.

Burnley were exactly what i expected. Organised, competitive, spoilers. That's spelt "struggle" for us in the past but we mached them for all those assets then took them apart with some scintillating football.

I must admit to asking myself what made Slimani worth £29 million after half an hour. The last 46 minutes I understood exactly. The bloke gives up an extra dimension we've been lacking for a long time - a Bob Latchford-type aerial finisher who links in with others, holds the ball up, has a good touch and works off the ball as well. 

That's not intended to be critical of Ulloa who's much under-rated and under-utilised as a support striker. But Ulloa doesn't often often play in any case and what we've had in Shinji is a willing body and heart but precious little goals threat and even less so in the air.

Today the crosses of our wingers had a real target and once we started putting some fast passing together second half we showed what a variety of attacking ideas we could come up with and how devastating they could be.

Just as dreadily as I (rightly) criticised Amartey against Liverpool I'll willingly sing his praises today because the man was involved in so much for us today both in breaking up attacks and setting them in motion, both on the floor and in the air. He did the simple things sensibly, did get caught out much by  Burnley team that didn't have much movement in any case and he didn't dive in when it wasn't on to win the ball.

That's three out of four decent games starting with Swansea (I didn't see Hull) and he looks ever more promising. I just want to see how he deals with the next team that tries to cut us apart with movement. And whether he can adapt and read the game and the runs well enough to cope.

Today's was the kind of all-round, entirely committed, Leicester performance which won us the title with no-one rating less than seven and several climbing higher.

It still concerns me that Albrighton doesn't always make the best of his crosses, being inclined to take a touch too many, failing to get sufficient lift or insisting on turning back onto his favoured right foot which he could surely rectify with a modicum of sustained effort. He also seems only half decided when he shoots rather than completely committed and convinced he has a chance to score.

But he still had an excellent game, Mahrez was magical at times, Slimani a deadly inspirition, Vardy a willing, even subtle creator (because he did seem to lift that final touch deliberately onto Slimani for our second goal and, oh yes, Drinkwater was immense. 

Zieler probably had the least to do as a shot stopper as I've ever seen for a Leicester keeper but deserves credit for being alert enough to react to the deflection on their late free kick and so prevent a clean sheet being ruined and to help give us two clean sheets in a row which could, hopefully build the defenders' confidence back to the levels of last season.

Again, they had little to do really but did it well and that's what matters. Suddenly we looked like a formidable unit again and excited about what's ahead of us. 

Well done, one and all. Some of the football was a joy to see.                        

Top post, Thracian. You've just saved several minutes of my life as you've said everything that I was going to say!

I'm sure there'll be bad days, but I have a warm, optimistic feeling about the season ahead after watching that.

Two 3-0's in a week... great way to take the pain of that Liverpool performance!

The last two games were against poor opposition but where Brugge was a decent performance with a good result, today was both a good performance and good result. Very encouraging!

My ratings:

Zieler- 7.5. Great for his first start, made good saves on the two occasions he was called on and had great distribution. Not tested much but very solid. 

Fuchs - 8.5. Faultless for me today, didn't put a foot wrong. Classy, composed and a real threat with his crosses. 

Simpson - 8. Very solid. Can't remember him getting caught out. 

Morgan - 7. Solid when called on. Still not the beast from last season but improving. 

Huth - 8. Commanding display. 
Albrighton - 7.5. A bit hit and miss, had some great moments but also some mistakes. Overall contribution was impactful. 

Amartey - 7.5. Keep in mind this is a 21 year old kid playing abroad in the Premier League for the champions. The occasional mistake but lots of great work. Revelation of the season so far. 

Drinkwater - 8. Our most consistent player, class as always. 

Mahrez - 9. The PFA player of the year is back! A class above and should have scored. Ran the show. 

Vardy - 7.5. Good performance, working the channels unselfishly. No clear chances but combined well with Mahrez and Slimani. 

Slimani - 9. A new hero is born! I'll put my hand up and admit I didn't think we needed him but once again in Claudio I trust. 2 goals on his home debut is great, but I was both surprised and impressed with his link up play. Mahrez, Vardy, Drinkwater and Albrighton were all combining with great effect. Has a much better touch than I expected. 

Overall a very pleasing display. Three record signings in Ulloa, Musa and Mendy didn't even play! We've never had that much depth before. I'll watch the EFL cup game with real interest. Don't expect us to progress but we can literally play a totally different 11. 

For me this game showed me we have a real alternative game plan now. For teams just want to park the bus we have the firepower to break them down. At the back end of last year we sometimes looked like we struggled with being front runners in a game. Today we dominated possession and made a lot of chances. Exciting times!!!

16 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Absolutely spot on! Claudio stuck into a few after Liverpool and it's hit home!

Slim was incredible, different class, he's like if Apple made a version of Ulloa! 

I would however love  to see him play with Okazaki, Oka has never had the chance to play as a number 9 and if we give Vardy a rest it's a change I'd like to see.

having said that I'd guess the change would be Musa 

iSlimani2? 

Leicester vs Burnley: 17 Sep 2016. 15:00.

In astrology (may work): the logo/symbol of the match will be:

* Burnley: "A Volcanic Eruption".
The explosive energy of long-repressed contents = dramatic release of energies = a spectacular catharsis takes paths of destruction, fire is experienced = frustrations shake up and even more destructively the very foundations of the team. The Keyword is "EXPLOSION".

* Leicester: The Transmutation Of The Fruits Of Past Experiences Into The Seed-Realizations Of The Forever Creative Spirit = A repolarization of inner energies of the team leading to a creative centralization.
= Power Wisdom and Intelligence in action. The ability to win by Three Old Masters”.

* The Score: A Square With One Of Its Sides Brightly Illumined.
the numbers 3, 4 and 6 are marked.

* Final resultLeicester will win and may blow Burnley.

Good Luck Leicester.

Another comfortable performance, some of the football we played in the second half was pure class.

We started pretty slow in the first half in all honesty, the first 30 mins were boring. All of a sudden we woke up, started to press more and we created chances, Slimani & Mahrez had two headers, both should of done better, but then we got the well deserved break through, perfect ball from Fuchs for Slimani to head home.

Second half we came out with serious intent, we dominated the second half and the football we displayed was sublime. A lot of players made a good case for MOTM, Slimani was a beast, great hold up play, great link up play, very intelligent with the ball and a huge threat in the air. Mahrez was back to his best today, he was unplayable at times. Fuchs had his best game of the season so far. Drinkwater has started the season on fire, pulled the strings all game, he has turned into a fabulous footballer.

Good stuff :scarf:

Archived