Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Demarai Gray

playing without fear or being shackled and being allowed to express yourself without fear of condemnation helps young players, being allowed to make the odd mistake without being torn strips off you by everyone and being able to learn at your own pace and given time to develop .the premier league is all about the hear and now but young players have to be given opportunities for a prolonged period and not just in and out of the team all the time

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MattCan said:

For the record, Mahrez is the ONLY player that my kids love to watch play. I hope he will give us more joy for the rest of this season. After that, you may have any player you want.

What type of reply is that? Are you basically saying that any player after Mahrez in the pecking order is irrelevant? Then what are you doing in a Demarai Gray thread?

I'm glad your kids love to watch eight or so fruitless through balls a game this season though *tongue in cheek*

1 hour ago, foxy boxing said:

playing without fear or being shackled and being allowed to express yourself without fear of condemnation helps young players, being allowed to make the odd mistake without being torn strips off you by everyone and being able to learn at your own pace and given time to develop .the premier league is all about the hear and now but young players have to be given opportunities for a prolonged period and not just in and out of the team all the time

This goes as much for older players who don't have experience at this level of football in this country. Mistakes from Hernandez, Okazaki, Slimani etc. aren't less important or less detrimental personally or collectively than for Gray, Amartey and Chilwell. It's all about their personalities and how they deal with things in the face of adversity.

I don't have a degree in psychology, but I find you do tend to see some fearlessness in many young players that have made it into Premier League first team squads. Yes, it can backfire when they cannot deal with poor games as well as the good ones (I seem to remember Reece Oxford having a stormer against Arsenal first day of the season, only to have a game riddled with mistakes against us the next with Bilic subsequently dropping him), but other times like with Rashford, you find the player that gives your team a much needed edge to the point you cannot drop them again.

Edited by shen

There's a balance to be found in developing young players, At some stage - preferably sooner rather than later then it's done - youngsters need to be given responsibility to see how they cope. 

There's also the responsibility of the manager to judge what is reasonable to expect of a player based on known strengths and weaknesses.

And, of course, there's the situation in the game. 

Gray, to me, is a genuinely threatening and fairly pacey attacker with a readiness to listen and a willingness to defend as best as his young frame can cope. He has the courage to take the ball into a corner and wait to be kicked or to do exactly what the manager demands. 

All pluses so far.

But then there's the flip side - and the situation in the Champions League game as well.

We were not attacking nor intending to attack. Yes, Gray would have taken the ball into negative areas but that would have increased the risk of his losing it. 

Most times we'd have  recovered from that but suppose Porto latched on and won the ball quickly from Gray, caught us a little exposed and scored. Suddenly a relatively inexperienced youngster is wandering around our club thinking he cost us a Champions League victory and doubtless listening to one or two fans on here asking why we didn't use the much more experienced king of Okazaki. 

And, no, I don't think either our players or many of our fans would have hammered him but it would still have been a shattering feeling for the lad. If an attacker had been injured just after half-time or if we'd needed a goal to equalise the situation would have been make for Gray because in the first instance it wouldn't have made sense just.to try and block out 40 minutes worth of Porto attacks and in the second there's no-one better equipped than Gray on our bench for making or scoring goals. 

Overall the right decision for me, and vindicated by the result And that doesn't reflect a lack of faith or trust in the lad. But he's not the strongest defender - his body's not strong enough yet - and I'd best want to call on him when we need or intend to attack. In a defensive situation I'd have King every time and insist on people offering support.             

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrSpaM said:

Youngsters are often made to look better than they are because of players they have around them. I know it might not be the most popular opinion but players like Marcus Rashford wouldn't look anywhere near as good if they were playing for a championship team

Rashford wouldn't have started out playing for Manchester United's first team....good players are special pretty much the first day you see them. They just have a quality about them if you're choosing to look.  

1 hour ago, Thracian said:

Rashford wouldn't have started out playing for Manchester United's first team....good players are special pretty much the first day you see them. They just have a quality about them if you're choosing to look.  

Marcus Rashford is the next overhyped flop imo. I know it isn't the opinion held by most but if England thinks they are getting anywhere in the future playing him up top our national team is in even more trouble. I remember seeing Owen and Shearer play for the first time and thinking they were something special, Marcus Rashford is not on the same level and will be replaced at man u by a world class striker sooner rather than later.

I think he'll be as good as Sterling, the the long run.

He has the desire, character, enthusiasm and engine to carry on the team forward. Remains to be seen whether he'll be good enough to be promoted to the England senior team, but I have very high hopes based on a few recent appearances.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

Rashford may not end up being as good as Owen or Shearer, but those are pretty damn high standards. Shearer was a truly phenomenal player, and Owen was sadly ravaged by injuries. If Rashford becomes half as good as Owen was in his prime then England and Manchester United got a very good player.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrSpaM said:

Marcus Rashford is the next overhyped flop imo. I know it isn't the opinion held by most but if England thinks they are getting anywhere in the future playing him up top our national team is in even more trouble. I remember seeing Owen and Shearer play for the first time and thinking they were something special, Marcus Rashford is not on the same level and will be replaced at man u by a world class striker sooner rather than later.

I not formed any strong opinions about Rashford at all and you may be right. The point I was making in response to another post was that he wasn't picked out as talented because he was playing among the Premiership notables of Manchester United - he'd have been spotted in much lesser company because his ability stood out.      

1 hour ago, MattCan said:

Embarrassing was your embarrassing behavior. What do you want from me now?

*sigh* Really... ? I thought you had quit the discussion. Not that there ever was a 'discussion' since you refused to actually read what I wrote in any of my posts, retorted with ire despite me making it quite clear you completely missed the ball and seemingly randomly changed the subject. That's the embarrassing bit.

26 minutes ago, shen said:

*sigh* Really... ? I thought you had quit the discussion. Not that there ever was a 'discussion' since you refused to actually read what I wrote in any of my posts, retorted with ire despite me making it quite clear you completely missed the ball and seemingly randomly changed the subject. That's the embarrassing bit.

I stand by my points. You have been highly disrespectful, even when I mentioned kids admiration with the player.

39 minutes ago, MattCan said:

I stand by my points. You have been highly disrespectful, even when I mentioned kids admiration with the player.

I hope you're a troll, I really do. Otherwise I worry for your mental health...

8 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

I think he'll be as good as Sterling, the the long run.

He has the desire, character, enthusiasm and engine to carry on the team forward. Remains to be seen whether he'll be good enough to be promoted to the England senior team, but I have very high hopes based on a few recent appearances.

How can you say he'll be as good as Sterling but not make the England team proper?

7 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

The only person being disrespectful is the guy throwing a hissy fit because he thinks that you can't show interest in a young up-and-coming player who clearly has talent in his locker without it somehow being a slight on another player.

But of course we all know what this is all about and MattCan needs to accept that while he's only here for Riyad the rest of us have an entire team to care about.

?!

Edited by MattCan