Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Demarai Gray

3 minutes ago, Koke said:

I think he should start based on the fact that the alternative have been started most of the season and have been poor. If Gray performed like Albrighton has this season he'd be banned from starting for us by CR. Okazaki has offered us feck all recently and he starts more games than Gray. 

It doesn't help when he starts 1 game and then is on the bench for the next 3/4. No momentum or consistency.

But he generally does perform off the bench so I think it's more than that.

I was reading up about Harvey Barnes and Robbie Neilson took him out for a game or two and said basically he doesn't want to chuck him into difficult games from the start all the time. Younger players can benefit coming into the game when the opposition are getting tired and when the game has opened up a bit. He said generally the first half is a far more tactical affair, a more rigid and it's not always the best place for young lads to find their feet.

I'm not suggesting Neilson is a tactical genius, but I think his comments have some merit. Especially if you consider his impact form the bench compared to his starts. If he's not going to perform early doors in an attacking sense, and his defensive game is not a patch on Albrighton's (checked the stats, it's not even close) then it's a tough call.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheMightySystem said:

On your point with Kapustka I thought he played well in the number 10 role and did more effectively everything the Okazaki has done this season. He closed down, linked the attack and covered ground all over the pitch. For me the number 10 role order should be Gray, Kapustka then Okazaki.

people seem to be using the fact he didn't do anything amazing as a criticism but surely being a solid 6/10 is better then what Okazaki has been this season with his constant falling over and failing to pick a pass recently. Why not give him some more time off the bench in the second half of the season to develop more and if his form becomes better then Okazaki, then take the spot from him if Gray plays left wing?

Haha, I agree with Okazaki, I like him a lot but his continual falling over is beyond a joke now and is frustrating because half the time he doesn't need to go down. I'd demand he changes his Mizuno slippers for proper boots!

I didn't wish to sound harsh on Kaputska if if came across like that because he looked very promising. But it was only against a Championship B team. I totally agree that you don't have to do anything amazing or eye catching but he gave the ball away a lot  (as did King in the first half so he wasn't on his own ). The amount of possession he gave away, which was at times a more strength on the ball issue or accuracy rather than trying to be too clever, would cause us big problems against Premiership sides. If we were sitting halfway up in the league and not in any danger maybe, but now is not the time to experiment.  I also think Gray, at this moment in time is more effective out wide, as in that no10 role he is the opposite to Kapustka in that he has a tendency to try to do a little to much at times in what can be a more congested area. At the same time you dont want to train his natural flair out of him. Though I do note that on more than one occasion, when Ranieri has bought him off the bench, he has put him precisely in that role you would like to see him in! Possibly Ranieri sees his future there also? Wenger moved a reasonable winger named Henri into a strikers role and he turned out none to shabby at it! 

Ranieri has also gradually introduced Chilwell into the side rather than rush him in and him potentially lose confidence, to the point now, like Gray, he is perhaps very worthy of a starting role. Like the title in another thread on here ' the future is bright'! If we can only stay up this year, and I think we can, I really do believe the future is bright. We have some tremendous young talent who will come on a bundle for this year's experiences good and bad, and, with a good uninterrupted preseason we would be back in business!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I was reading up about Harvey Barnes and Robbie Neilson took him out for a game or two and said basically he doesn't want to chuck him into difficult games from the start all the time. Younger players can benefit coming into the game when the opposition are getting tired and when the game has opened up a bit. He said generally the first half is a far more tactical affair, a more rigid and it's not always the best place for young lads to find their feet.

I'm not suggesting Neilson is a tactical genius, but I think his comments have some merit. Especially if you consider his impact form the bench compared to his starts. If he's not going to perform early doors in an attacking sense, and his defensive game is not a patch on Albrighton's (checked the stats, it's not even close) then it's a tough call.

Gray has already played 72 times for Birmingham though. It's not like it's his first couple of appearances.

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I agree with Neilson as well. Pep waa asked the same thing about Gabriel Jesus and he will probably be on the bench soon to protect him.

It's just hard for watch our starters perform so badly and still continue to start. If we were playing well I don't think people would be banging the Gray drum.

Just saw the highlights of the weeks game. Wonder goal aside it was clear that everything creative was coming from Gray. He should have had at least 3 goal assists had the numpty strikers known how to score. If he can continue to vary his game like he did (I.e less greedy) he'll be a cracking player. He should be our second striker from here on in. Okazaki has been beyond awful lately.

3 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

Just saw the highlights of the weeks game. Wonder goal aside it was clear that everything creative was coming from Gray. He should have had at least 3 goal assists had the numpty strikers known how to score. If he can continue to vary his game like he did (I.e less greedy) he'll be a cracking player. He should be our second striker from here on in. Okazaki has been beyond awful lately.

Plays through the middle for England U21, I think you're right I'd play him behind Slim/Vardy with Mahrez, who has been ineffective in the no.10 position largely, back on the wing with Albrighton on the left.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

Gray has already played 72 times for Birmingham though. It's not like it's his first couple of appearances.

Appreciate that, and Barnes has probably played the same number of youth games. As soon as you go to a higher level it's going to be harder and there is going to be that period of adapting.

I'm not trying to knock the lad, he's a talent. But I can appreciate the reasoning for him not starting all the time and the reasons why he might not perform when he does start.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

He still needs to defend better which CR admits he is still learning.   Okazaki for all his faults and (like the rest of them) his dip in form, is very good at defending and pressing from the front. 

Edited by Countryfox
  • Like 1

CHOICES 

Tottenham transfer news: Liverpool target Demarai Gray also wanted by Spurs as Leicester star appears in summer spending plans

Boss Mauricio Pochettino feels speedy winger would give his side an edge but knows he'll have to fight off Jurgen Klopp first

TOTTENHAM have reportedly joined Liverpool in the race to sign Leicester City’s Demarai Gray.

The young winger was chased by Spurs during his time at Birmingham City and could now be set for a summer move to White Hart Lane.

The Standard claims Mauricio Pochettino wants to sign a speedy forward and Gray is at the top of his wishlist.

On 10/02/2017 at 10:11, Tuna said:

Plays through the middle for England U21, I think you're right I'd play him behind Slim/Vardy with Mahrez, who has been ineffective in the no.10 position largely, back on the wing with Albrighton on the left.

Please not Albrighton on the left noooooooooooooooo lol i think Albrighton on the left is terrible on the right not so bad left no way 

Guest Danny Clender
On 2/10/2017 at 12:59, Koke said:

I agree with Neilson as well. Pep waa asked the same thing about Gabriel Jesus and he will probably be on the bench soon to protect him.

It's just hard for watch our starters perform so badly and still continue to start. If we were playing well I don't think people would be banging the Gray drum.

Its not an easy one, is it? 

Ndidi is only 1 year older than Barnes, Gray is the same age, 20. 

I guess we all develop differently within the game.

On one hand its all about needing the youthful energy and fearlessness, yet the other is about protecting the exposure.

To me, it makes no sense unless based upon the individual. 

In terms of development, I think, it has been very interesting to see the progression of Amartey.

He should have been introduced slowly, but instead we saw his development in real time on the pitch. Its been very frustrating, at times, yet now, it seems, we can't wait for him to get back.

Oh, I really like Amartey, I really believe in his potential. 

On 10/02/2017 at 11:55, foxes21 said:

I think mahrez should play in the number 10 behind Slimani, he needs that freedom more than gray imo.

albrighton-mahrez-gray

slimani

We have tried Mahrez at no10 it didn't work, I would give Gray a go there to see how he gets on though.

24 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

Its not an easy one, is it? 

Ndidi is only 1 year older than Barnes, Gray is the same age, 20. 

I guess we all develop differently within the game.

On one hand its all about needing the youthful energy and fearlessness, yet the other is about protecting the exposure.

To me, it makes no sense unless based upon the individual. 

In terms of development, I think, it has been very interesting to see the progression of Amartey.

He should have been introduced slowly, but instead we saw his development in real time on the pitch. Its been very frustrating, at times, yet now, it seems, we can't wait for him to get back.

Oh, I really like Amartey, I really believe in his potential. 

Bizarre post.

The 'development' of Amartey saw the team suffer loss after loss after loss, sometimes by big margins.

The development of Ndidi has been even worse, incredibly, where his first few games in the side have seen us ship what? 6/7/8 goals, with no reply.

Thats no way to 'develop' any young player. It's the antithesis of development.

Im afraid that your view on 'development' differs completely to mine.

12 minutes ago, dayday said:

We have tried Mahrez at no10 it didn't work, I would give Gray a go there to see how he gets on though.

Slightly off topic, but didn't he (Mahrez) effectively play there for at least part of the Derby game? Thought he was doing well.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

Guest Danny Clender
11 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Bizarre post.

The 'development' of Amartey saw the team suffer loss after loss after loss, sometimes by big margins.

The development of Ndidi has been even worse, incredibly, where his first few games in the side have seen us ship what? 6/7/8 goals, with no reply.

Thats no way to 'develop' any young player. It's the antithesis of development.

Im afraid that your view on 'development' differs completely to mine.

Bizarre response.

I'm not saying the development of Amartey was correct at all. We had no choice at all other than to blood him in the first team, akin to training sessions. I think his importance to the team cannot be denied now, regardless what you think of his capabilities, he has become integral to the team. 

Other than Kasper, Ndidi is the best player in the team right now in terms of ability and untapped attitude, name a better player now? right now?

I was commenting upon, that there's no way to judge a players development other than individually, there's just no set way.

Chilwell is a good example of introduction to the game, but is that how it should be for every player? but like you say we 'differ' on development

Some players can hit the ground at any age, Rooney, Ali, Rashford.

Don't tell me there's a set way for 'development of players, there isn't. 

We differ, fair play, that's what its all about. (insert smiley face icon)

54 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

Bizarre response.

I'm not saying the development of Amartey was correct at all. We had no choice at all other than to blood him in the first team, akin to training sessions. I think his importance to the team cannot be denied now, regardless what you think of his capabilities, he has become integral to the team. 

Other than Kasper, Ndidi is the best player in the team right now in terms of ability and untapped attitude, name a better player now? right now?

I was commenting upon, that there's no way to judge a players development other than individually, there's just no set way.

Chilwell is a good example of introduction to the game, but is that how it should be for every player? but like you say we 'differ' on development

Some players can hit the ground at any age, Rooney, Ali, Rashford.

Don't tell me there's a set way for 'development of players, there isn't. 

We differ, fair play, that's what its all about. (insert smiley face icon)

The way in which our young players have been thrown into our midfield this season, has been nothing short of criminal.

How the Hell can it be good for the likes of Ndidi to be coming to a new country, a new league, to be thrown into a team that has been mullered every time he's played. What can that do for his confidence?

Where we went wrong is so clear, it's not even worth debating. We fooked up good and proper in the summer by not recruiting players that could come into the Premiership and hit the ground running. In some cases, we signed nobody for important positions.

Amartey and Ndidi have suffered because of this. It's not been good for their development, it's been the epitome of the wrong way to do it.

The club has been run, ever since the summer, in a shambolic way. We have to hope that somehow, it gets turned round, starting today.

With nearly every young player, there IS the right way to introduce them. You mention Alli, for example, who went out on loan to exactly the right type of club, at the right level, until he was ready.

The way that WE have done this, this season, has been scandalous.

Im not sure that people realize (or maybe don't want to) that if this club contrives to get itself relegated this season, it will be pretty much unprecedented in football. It will be a sporting disaster.

Edited by Col city fan