Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Samilktray

Red Dead 3

Hated Red Dead Redemption. Got over the water to the 2nd island and got bored. Think i was into GTA so much that riding around on horseback bored the life out of me. Never understood everyone's hype for it.

I have often wondered though if i played it now would i enjoy it now i am a bit older and i can separate GTA to this, was i young and naive to compare the 2?

People who compare GTA V to Red Dead Redemption are hugely missing the point.

You're not going to get that much (car) speed or bombastic action in this game compared to Grand Theft Auto, it's part of the setting. It's supposed to be slower.

I can't seriously understand why you can't love RDR for what it is - an enthralling piece of entertainment, set in the American West (and Mexico, for that matter).

It's not perfect in terms of graphics performance (clipping, frame rate issues), but the storyline is soo good. And they capture the spirit of the times extremely well.

Plus, the bonus games/side quests are well-timed, too.

I'm not sure if i'm a minority, but I didn't get this game. Bought it years ago, played 20 hours of it and just didn't really like it. I was desperate to love it based on everyone's  reviews

12 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

People who compare GTA V to Red Dead Redemption are hugely missing the point.

You're not going to get that much (car) speed or bombastic action in this game compared to Grand Theft Auto, it's part of the setting. It's supposed to be slower.

I can't seriously understand why you can't love RDR for what it is - an enthralling piece of entertainment, set in the American West (and Mexico, for that matter).

It's not perfect in terms of graphics performance (clipping, frame rate issues), but the storyline is soo good. And they capture the spirit of the times extremely well.

Plus, the bonus games/side quests are well-timed, too.

Obviously i knew it wouldn't be as fast paced. Also its not GTA V i'm comparing it to it wasn't out at the time lol. I assume from memory it was San Andreas. That game left such an impression on me that Rockstar releasing this just didn't do it for me (I remember going around skinning animals was an absolute chore, but when i played Far Cry 3 and 4 i loved going around finding the animals lol). 

Now i absolutely love a good story. That's why i think if i were to play RDR now i would enjoy it as the GTA years have been and gone for me and now i'm older i can appreciate what RDR is all about. Is RDR available on the PS Store? If it is i may have to take a plunge and try it again.

10 minutes ago, Shaneb said:

I'm not sure if i'm a minority, but I didn't get this game. Bought it years ago, played 20 hours of it and just didn't really like it. I was desperate to love it based on everyone's  reviews

Exactly what happened with me. I put hours in and really wanted to enjoy it but i just didn't get into it

1 hour ago, kingcarr21 said:

Exactly what happened with me. I put hours in and really wanted to enjoy it but i just didn't get into it

yeah i'm not sure what went on. Maybe for me there needs to be more of a story mode that I can get into.

I loved GTA so I by default thought I would like Red Dead.

3 minutes ago, Shaneb said:

yeah i'm not sure what went on. Maybe for me there needs to be more of a story mode that I can get into.

Someone else who understands where i'm coming from. I thought i was the only one lol. Everyone i've spoke to about RDR over the years think i'm mad for not liking it

1 hour ago, Shaneb said:

I always felt the story is one of the best things about Red Dead. Along with the Last of Us, this is one of my favourite games.

Hopefully they'll improve the weapon wheel for the new one.

18 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I didn't care much for RDR either.  Struggled to get into it and moved onto something else.  All I can remember is tumbleweed occasionally moving across the screen and making the same trip time and time again down the valley on a cart and horses.

This. Every horseback ride felt the same and took an age to get to where you wanted to go. Got bored and moved onto a different game.

Still i would be tempted to give it another go.

11 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I liked it, but it certainly tailed off at the end and I'm not sure I ever completed it. Think it was as soon as the southern part opened up it just seemed all a bit drawn out and a bit samey.

That part of the game was kinda slow tbh, the game ramps up again after you've finished the first few Mexico missions. The endings great so it's definitely worth going back to and trying to finish. The last few missions in particular have some great set pieces and atmosphere, plus there's a great twist at the end.

I can understand where people are coming from with the horse riding though, it did get a little monotonous towards the end. The game does have a fast travel option though, I'm just not sure how far into the game it is before you unlock it.

I'm hoping the next game will be set far enough after the first that they include drivable cars. The first one had a car you could find but you couldn't get in it, so the next one will most probably have them in some shape or form.

Edited by MrSpaM

1 hour ago, MrSpaM said:

That part of the game was kinda slow tbh, the game ramps up again after you've finished the first few Mexico missions. The endings great so it's definitely worth going back to and trying to finish. The last few missions in particular have some great set pieces and atmosphere, plus there's a great twist at the end.

I can understand where people are coming from with the horse riding though, it did get a little monotonous towards the end. The game does have a fast travel option though, I'm just not sure how far into the game it is before you unlock it.

I'm hoping the next game will be set far enough after the first that they include drivable cars. The first one had a car you could find but you couldn't get in it, so the next one will most probably have them in some shape or form.

If the map that's been leaked is to be believed then the game is set before the railway at the top of the great plains got built so it'll be a prequel of sorts.

As for the horse riding:  For me personally I played the game at a time when I was pretty much permanently stoned so I really enjoyed the slow pace of ambling from point to point admiring the scenery more than the stress of the shoot-out bits lol 

• Like 1