Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Samilktray

Red Dead 3

14 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

I like the look of this but I fear it will melt my PS4 which already sound like Concorde taking off when the kids are playing Fortnite on it!

Mine (which I got on launch) sounds scarily loud when playing fortnite but it isn't so bad with Red Dead.

Really enjoying it so far. I quite like the slow pace for a change and being able to just take the time to appreciate it and do everything else. It’s very easy to get side tracked hunting before going back to the camp. Or just doing anything else really for that matter. 

16 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

I like the look of this but I fear it will melt my PS4 which already sound like Concorde taking off when the kids are playing Fortnite on it!

Mine was sounding really loud, it also used to switch off every now and then by itself, I suggest trying to clean the fans and vents...

Unfortunately mine died, the power unit popped and burnt out and I had to get a new one :(

On 27/10/2018 at 14:48, Babylon said:

I can understand people marking it down after a quick play on it. So far everything is so slow, everything is very weighted for realism but that just slows characters down to a plod, as walking and actions all seem slow. I know it's not meant to be fast paced, but four or five hours before you even manage to starting roaming freely seemed a drag. 

Is that part actually exaggeration or true? I've got to do four or five hours on rails before I can actually roam free in open world game play? 

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Is that part actually exaggeration or true? I've got to do four or five hours on rails before I can actually roam free in open world game play? 

I don't know where the 4-5 hours came from. I played for about an hour before I could roam free.

16 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It honestly felt like it took about 4 hours to get through the first few "you must follow this path" missions / tutorials. I didn't start a stop watch, but I certainly didn't roam free until the second time I put the game on.

You could probably rush it through. One minute they are telling you to make sure you check peoples pockets to collect stuff after you've killed them. A couple of the missions had about 50 dead bodies, so if collect all the stuff like I did it takes an age. But whilst you're going though pockets they are all stood around telling you to come with them and hurry up, so it you just go you can probably rattle through things.

I'm finding the whole thing a bit clunky and frustrating to be honest. No fast travel any more (you can buy an add on for the camp but it costs something like $600, which will take a while to get). Constantly getting sent miles away from camp, I seem to spend my time just going backwards and forwards on a horse and not actually doing anything. A could list 100 things that are pissing me off at the min.

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It honestly felt like it took about 4 hours to get through the first few "you must follow this path" missions / tutorials. I didn't start a stop watch, but I certainly didn't roam free until the second time I put the game on.

You could probably rush it through. One minute they are telling you to make sure you check peoples pockets to collect stuff after you've killed them. A couple of the missions had about 50 dead bodies, so if collect all the stuff like I did it takes an age. But whilst you're going though pockets they are all stood around telling you to come with them and hurry up, so it you just go you can probably rattle through things.

I'm finding the whole thing a bit clunky and frustrating to be honest. No fast travel any more (you can buy an add on for the camp but it costs something like $600, which will take a while to get). Constantly getting sent miles away from camp, I seem to spend my time just going backwards and forwards on a horse and not actually doing anything. A could list 100 things that are pissing me off at the min.

This was my main problem with RDR. I just found myself incredibly bored whilst on horseback. I've often said I didn't like RDR but would give this game a serious thought as it looked really good. This post gives me reason to believe I will feel the exact same as with RDR.

I wont rush to buy it. There are so many games coming out I think Ill look at others before giving this a go.

14 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

This was my main problem with RDR. I just found myself incredibly bored whilst on horseback. I've often said I didn't like RDR but would give this game a serious thought as it looked really good. This post gives me reason to believe I will feel the exact same as with RDR.

I wont rush to buy it. There are so many games coming out I think Ill look at others before giving this a go.

I think you have to go into it with a particularly style of play. Just don't get distracted and stay on mission is probably the best way of going about it. Going around in circles hunting for a rabbit and a squirrel to post to someone is just pointless, especially when they just go off whilst you're trotting around on the horse.

I find the conversations between characters boring, I find myself zoning out and I end up not being sure what's even been said or what I'm meant to be doing.

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I think you have to go into it with a particularly style of play. Just don't get distracted and stay on mission is probably the best way of going about it. Going around in circles hunting for a rabbit and a squirrel to post to someone is just pointless, especially when they just go off whilst you're trotting around on the horse.

I find the conversations between characters boring, I find myself zoning out and I end up not being sure what's even been said or what I'm meant to be doing.

You have literally summed up my feelings about RDR. The dialogue was beyond boring and the hunting was dull. The thing Is though I have found with recent games (Ni No Kuni 2, Horizon and God of War) that the side quests haven't bored me as much. I do wonder if I am getting to an age where I can tolerate the fetch quests more lol.

I have friends with the game so I will give it a go on there PS4's before I buy it.

10 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

You have literally summed up my feelings about RDR. The dialogue was beyond boring and the hunting was dull. The thing Is though I have found with recent games (Ni No Kuni 2, Horizon and God of War) that the side quests haven't bored me as much. I do wonder if I am getting to an age where I can tolerate the fetch quests more lol.

I have friends with the game so I will give it a go on there PS4's before I buy it.

Quite possible, I have far less time that I used to have and wasting it on shit like that is just annoying. Playing the game for an hour and feeling like I've achieved nothing is frustrating.

I really enjoyed the first game up to a point, this one i'm struggling with.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Quite possible, I have far less time that I used to have and wasting it on shit like that is just annoying. Playing the game for an hour and feeling like I've achieved nothing is frustrating.

I really enjoyed the first game up to a point, this one i'm struggling with.

Physical copy or bought online mate? I'm on gardening leave at the moment and so a bit of time on my hands, was going to buy the game, but a few comments have made me hold off now.

I'll still probably want to play at some point, so if its physical and you don't get on with it, why not offload? I'd be happy probably to buy from you - or of course lots of shops do trade in etc?

Just a thought - and you'll probably now tell me you bought it through PSN?

I'm assuming PS4 here by the way - you may be on XBOXONE?

2 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Physical copy or bought online mate? I'm on gardening leave at the moment and so a bit of time on my hands, was going to buy the game, but a few comments have made me hold off now.

I'll still probably want to play at some point, so if its physical and you don't get on with it, why not offload? I'd be happy probably to buy from you - or of course lots of shops do trade in etc?

Just a thought - and you'll probably now tell me you bought it through PSN?

I'm assuming PS4 here by the way - you may be on XBOXONE?

Xbox One I'm afraid, I'm going to stick with it. Got next week off so hopefully be able to get into it a bit more!

27 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Xbox One I'm afraid, I'm going to stick with it. Got next week off so hopefully be able to get into it a bit more!

No worries. I hope you grow to enjoy it.

My input on games is that there has always been good and bad games, but some developers seem at times to have prioritised graphics and complexity over gameplay, fun, real and fair challenge, and accessibility.

I am not putting RDR2 in that box and I'm not putting R* in that box either, but I often find as a mid 30s guy that games can now take ages to really get going, take ages to really acclimatise to in terms of systems/controls etc, and then ultimately don't give the pay off in terms of gameplay/satisfaction/fun? My wife often comments how beautiful a game is and I've not noticed because I'm too angry at clunky controls, oblique under explained systems, complex controls or stupid context sensitive controls... etc.

I'm probably just getting old.

• Like 1

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 14:48, Babylon said:

I can understand people marking it down after a quick play on it. So far everything is so slow, everything is very weighted for realism but that just slows characters down to a plod, as walking and actions all seem slow. I know it's not meant to be fast paced, but four or five hours before you even manage to starting roaming freely seemed a drag. 

that's what put me of the first one tbf

Absolutely loving this game so far. 

The pacing is brilliant - they've clearly gone down the route of making it a wild west 'sim' as opposed to the run & gun madness of GTA and how ****ing refreshing it feels. 

The world is so fully realised - even though events are obviously scripted to happen as you approach areas it all feels so fluid and like it would be happening anyway. The way people approach and talk to you and each other, the way animals dash through the rivers as you ride alongside them - it's all so engrossing. 

The wanted / bounty system actually makes sense in the context of the slower paced game-play and imo, pretty faithfully represents the way people were back then. Of course people are going to get shitty with you when you trot up to their camp unannounced - these were dangerous times. Use the speech system to diffuse the situation, put your gun away, walk away. Want to rob that house? Sneak in, tie them up, wear different outfits, ride different horses, wear your mask and leave no witnesses. 

I've probably played about 30 hours already and approx. 20 of those have been hunting rabbits and I've loved every moment of sneaking about in forests, long grass, up mountains, etc. It's stunning. 

Take away the fact these guys made GTA, slow it down, take it all in and you will absolutely enjoy it more.  

Edited by lifted*fox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

Absolutely loving this game so far. 

The pacing is brilliant - they've clearly gone down the route of making it a wild west 'sim' as opposed to the run & gun madness of GTA and how ****ing refreshing it feels. 

The world is so fully realised - even though events are obviously scripted to happen as you approach areas it all feels so fluid and like it would be happening anyway. The way people approach and talk to you and each other, the way animals dash through the rivers as you ride alongside them - it's all so engrossing. 

The wanted / bounty system actually makes sense in the context of the slower paced game-play and imo, pretty faithfully represents the way people were back then. Of course people are going to get shitty with you when you trot up to their camp unannounced - these were dangerous times. Use the speech system to diffuse the situation, put your gun away, walk away. Want to rob that house? Sneak in, tie them up, wear different outfits, ride different horses, wear your mask and leave no witnesses. 

I've probably played about 30 hours already and approx. 20 of those have been hunting rabbits and I've loved every moment of sneaking about in forests, long grass, up mountains, etc. It's stunning. 

Take away the fact these guys made GTA, slow it down, take it all in and you will absolutely enjoy it more.  

Last night was perhaps the first time I've enjoyed playing it, fingers crossed I'm growing into it.

• Like 1