Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Trump Triumphs

19 minutes ago, GazzinderFox said:

Oh you mean survival of the fittest? A pretty drab excuse for doing what we please and treating the rest of the world like crap don't you think? No I think there's more to the human condition than that.

Think about it this way, if America woke up today 100% Jimmy Carter, how long do you think it would take to produce a Donald Trump?

I'm thinking less than a week. 

For every Al Gore, there's a Teddy Roosevelt headhunting polar bears from his private icebreaker.

Ah, so it's entirely free will rather than inside drivers that causes some humans to make short term self interested decisions and...questionable decisions regarding the future of humanity as a whole then, you think?

Just the desire to be different, for a change? Politics does tend to be cyclic in that way.

That's a good thing though. If you're right and If humans do 100% act of free will like that there's a chance (however slim) the right things could be done in the future.

Anyhow, this is a fascinating discussion but I think we're veering off topic a bit.

15 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I agree wholeheartedly. Which is why I place the responsibility for the monumental gamble with the future of humanity squarely at their door.

Perhaps some day they'll (and now I refer to those who think similarly across the world, not just in the US) come face to face with something that no pious belief in a deity and no amount of money in the world can save them from. It'll just be a pity that the rest of the human race will likely be along for the ride.

They would blame any 'natural' disaster of that magnitude on the 'lifestyles' of others as their God's punishment.

5 hours ago, davieG said:

They would blame any 'natural' disaster of that magnitude on the 'lifestyles' of others as their God's punishment.

I have no doubt that they would, closely followed by going onto the next life confident that they would be the chosen ones.

It's precisely that kind of belief and acting on it that is a real danger. There isn't much reasoning with someone convinced the next world will be better.

http://time.com/4657438/congressional-republicans-environmental-regulations-coal-streams/

Yep, the experience with the drinking water at Flint was so good, let's repeat it elsewhere (ironically mostly in areas that voted for stuff like this to happen).

Of course, this just being the beginning of such measures. What does clean air and water matter when you've got a healthy bank account to stay away from it all?

35 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

http://time.com/4657438/congressional-republicans-environmental-regulations-coal-streams/

Yep, the experience with the drinking water at Flint was so good, let's repeat it elsewhere (ironically mostly in areas that voted for stuff like this to happen).

Of course, this just being the beginning of such measures. What does clean air and water matter when you've got a healthy bank account to stay away from it all?

Republicans on the environment:

tom-toro-yes-the-planet-got-destroyed-but-for-a-beautiful-moment-in-time-we-created-a-lot-of-value-for-sh.jpg

36 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

"Rep. John Yarmuth, D-Ky., displayed a bottle of brownish water he said came from a constituent's well near a surface coal mine. He challenged lawmakers to drink from it and said the stream rule was one of the only safety measures protecting people in coal country."

Yuck! 

41 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

Republicans on the environment:

tom-toro-yes-the-planet-got-destroyed-but-for-a-beautiful-moment-in-time-we-created-a-lot-of-value-for-sh.jpg

This is what I like to call FunnyPain.

Funny because well...haha. Painful because of how true it is. Pretty much like every article written in The Onion/Daily Mash right now.

41 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

"Rep. John Yarmuth, D-Ky., displayed a bottle of brownish water he said came from a constituent's well near a surface coal mine. He challenged lawmakers to drink from it and said the stream rule was one of the only safety measures protecting people in coal country."

Yuck! 

Perhaps if a condition of this agreement was that those who voted for it had to drink a glass of water from the chosen areas a year or two after the agreement was finalised...that might actually get them thinking about the consequences.

Ive reached a point where im tired of the Donald being on news all day. Its over kill.

Personally I think he is an epic tw@t (my opinion.... calm down lads, you can call me a tw@t too if you love him) and is going about things wrong but then again he should and will be judged  by 2020.

Mic drop 

Oh, and...

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/02/513126985/house-votes-to-overturn-obama-rule-restricting-gun-sales-to-mentally-ill

Because the more unstable people with guns, the more chance of a bloody scene on the six o clock news, which pushes guns and ammo sales (and profit margins) through the roof each and every time.

Peerless business strategy.

3 hours ago, Countryfox said:

An absolute pair of buffoons to be honest ...    and as for 'If you leave Europe you'll be at the back of the queue so there interfering tw@t'  Obuma ....    what a sorry bunch.

And lets not forget   "Well I only told big whopping lies cus I never thought I would get caught out !" Nixon   and  "Oh you mean ORAL sex ! well you should have said .." Clinton ...   

12 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

And lets not forget   "Well I only told big whopping lies cus I never thought I would get caught out !" Nixon   and  "Oh you mean ORAL sex ! well you should have said .." Clinton ...   

Has there actually been a decent president in recent times? I know Obama had high approval ratings when he left but there's always debate about him. Reagan and Johnson seem to be the most highly regarded from what I read. 

5 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Has there actually been a decent president in recent times? I know Obama had high approval ratings when he left but there's always debate about him. Reagan and Johnson seem to be the most highly regarded from what I read. 

Reagan was hugely divisive, like Maggie over here. Johnson was well regarded at the time, but getting the US really involved in Vietnam means history doesn't look too great on him either.

Carter was considered ineffective.

Nixon was a crook.

Bush1 was basically an extension of Reagan.

Clinton was a philanderer.

Bush2 was an idiot (who had sociopaths around him)

Obama was well meaning but didn't get as much done as perhaps he might.

So...I think the answer to your question is no. I think the position itself either attracts awful people or reasonably decent people who are then hobbled by the awful people around them.

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Reagan was hugely divisive, like Maggie over here. Johnson was well regarded at the time, but getting the US really involved in Vietnam means history doesn't look too great on him either.

Carter was considered ineffective.

Nixon was a crook.

Bush1 was basically an extension of Reagan.

Clinton was a philanderer.

Bush2 was an idiot (who had sociopaths around him)

Obama was well meaning but didn't get as much done as perhaps he might.

So...I think the answer to your question is no. I think the position itself either attracts awful people or reasonably decent people who are then hobbled by the awful people around them.

Philanderer is hardly the worst crime all things considered. 

4 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Ive reached a point where im tired of the Donald being on news all day. Its over kill.

Personally I think he is an epic tw@t (my opinion.... calm down lads, you can call me a tw@t too if you love him) and is going about things wrong but then again he should and will be judged  by 2020.

Mic drop 

If Trump ever causes as much damage as Blair the knockers might have a case.  

12 minutes ago, Lionator said:

8 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Reagan was hugely divisive, like Maggie over here.

I watched a really illuminating documentary on Reagan's journey to the white house the other day. I hadn't realised, because of the mythologising about him over the last 20 years, just what a hardliner he was on plenty of different issues. He actually had a fair bit in common with Trump. I'm sure he would have loved Trump's America first speech the other day.  

30 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

He did all his war mongering in silent.

Certainly were a fair few bombs dropped on his watch, yes.

29 minutes ago, bovril said:

Philanderer is hardly the worst crime all things considered. 

True, but that gave a reason for the Puritans to have a go nontheless.

28 minutes ago, Thracian said:

If Trump ever causes as much damage as Blair the knockers might have a case.  

Give him time. Or better, don't.

18 minutes ago, GazzinderFox said:

I watched a really illuminating documentary on Reagan's journey to the white house the other day. I hadn't realised, because of the mythologising about him over the last 20 years, just what a hardliner he was on plenty of different issues. He actually had a fair bit in common with Trump. I'm sure he would have loved Trump's America first speech the other day.  

You're not the only one to draw parallels on this. They do seem to share a lot of qualities.

Here's hoping Trump won't overlook a deadly disease due to dislike for a "lifestyle" or get caught selling arms in exchange for hostages.

Archived