Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Leicester City v Chelsea post match thread 0 - 3

32 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

They have been praised and rewarded for their efforts last year more than enough, but you cant live on former glory's.

That said i think the problems lie with the manager more than the players, his hand was forced into the tactical change after conceding 8 in 2 playing 442 earlier this season as opposed to him being an adventurous dynamic manager.

How long did he leave it before changing formation 70 mins? one shot after a minute then basically stood cross armed on the sidelines looking clueless.

Leicester City won the premier league. They can never ever be praised enough. Accuse me of living in the past but perhaps I'm a bit more appreciative of how ridiculous last year was.!

2 minutes ago, char123 said:

in my opinion vardy is just not performing and looks uninterested at the min and cannot play up front with musa as they are too alike. musa could be good as a lone striker with someone behind him as proved at everton but needs game time instead of in the team one min and out the next. gray needs to start everytime for me and morgan is absolute w**k but will never be dropped. albrighton is just not doing it at the min, certainly not today at right back and even when he is on the left he needs to cut back onto his right which every opponent knows by now. i think amartey mendy and ndidi could certainly make a cracking midfield if they ever get the chance to play together and drinkwater is just not doing anything for me lately, he could have set musa clean through today but didnt even look at the run musa had made and passed it straight to their defense.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I stopped reading after 'uninterested' as I think that's absolute nonsense.

Yeah. It's a tad disappointing. I think we set up too defensively to make a goal dent on the game. Good to see Claudio trying something different but the gap between midfield and the front two was daft. At half time I think we should have gone 451 and we need an attacking number ten like Ramirez or Sigurdsson if we have a hope of playing 352.... Having said all that, not an awful display but it was never going to be enough to derail this years title winners.

29 minutes ago, Firegrande said:

I got the impression that we'd worked on that formation with Costa in mind and were totally undone by him not playing. Chelsea just passed through us, waited for a chance and we sat back and let them. There was no urgency, no intensity until Gray came on and Vardy was back to marking centre backs again not vice versa. If Ulloa's out for a couple of weeks we need to get back to 4-2-3-1 and get some actual movement up front and pressing in midfield. Chilwell, Gray and Ndidi (until he went to CB -wtf?) Were half decent but that aside, forget today and move on

Good point: reminded me of Liverpool away. Three ageing defenders having no idea what they're up against.  

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

To be fair, both Wright and Murphy were very fair to us tonight.

I thought we were decent first half and were the team on top, then things just crumbled, but I don't know if Chelsea were even in top gear.

Just now, daddylonglegs said:

Leicester City won the premier league. They can never ever be praised enough. Accuse me of living in the past but perhaps I'm a bit more appreciative of how ridiculous last year was.!

So you would quite happily watch performances like today until the end of the season resulting in relegation,  do you not think the manager needs to tell the players what the fans see, instead of it was a "good performance" 

Think we missed Slimani today. He would have bossed the forward line and provided a genuine threat for Albrighton's crosses, especially in the first half. 

If we are to persist with this formation then we need new reenforcements for the defence as our current stock aren't mobile ot creative enough to support the midfield. That said, the 4-4-2 hasn't worked this year so maybe it was a game we weren't expecting to win and was a chance to experiment a bit

3 minutes ago, kingston_fox said:

Think we missed Slimani today. He would have bossed the forward line and provided a genuine threat for Albrighton's crosses, especially in the first half. 

If we are to persist with this formation then we need new reenforcements for the defence as our current stock aren't mobile ot creative enough to support the midfield. That said, the 4-4-2 hasn't worked this year so maybe it was a game we weren't expecting to win and was a chance to experiment a bit

What crosses were those then??

System may have been a good idea on paper but it caused too much confusion and I'm not sure the players were right.

Albrighton and Chilwell were never going to be creative enough and the Vardy/Musa partnership is never going to work.

4-3-3 and Gray given enough chance please next week.

Don't want to criticise Claudio too harshly, as he tried a formation I thought could work for us, although I wouldn't have tried it today and I certainly wouldn't have used the players he did for it.

It was a no brainer for me, to start with the same formation that we played Everton with and so was surprised at the change.

I also have no idea what Gray has to do, to be recognised as probably our best attacking player, and certainly the only one who can create something out of nothing. 

Trying to match up to Chelsea like that was always going to see us coming out second best. We had to play the way that suits us and our individual players. Having Drinkwater pushed out to the right was just bonkers, and Musa and Vardy simply can not play together as a front two. They are almost identical players and it was so easy for Chelsea to deal with both of them, by just dropping deep and leaving no space for them to run in behind.

Baffled why we didn't see us switch to a 4-3-3 or even a 4-4-2 at half-time and Gray and Okazaki come on. It was such a stroll in the park for Chelsea and they won it 3-0, playing at about 70% effort. 

Although I think Claudio has to take most of the responsibility for this one, the players also were well off the pace and where the hell has all the closing down gone?! Drives me crazy to see opposition players a few yards outside our area and our players simply backing off and giving them all the time they need. Where has the aggression and work-rate gone from this team? No excuses for that. 

Bright notes were that Chilwell is looking a very capable young player and N'didi was again showing signs of being a very useful player for us. 

Hopefully Claudio has learnt an important lesson today, and he won't try to mirror an opposition's strengths but rather play to our own. That is what won us the league last year. Screw what the opposition are doing, just play a formation that suits our players (4-3-3 IMO) and pick the players that are naturally suited to those positions. 

On a side note - Chelsea are such a well organised team and even on our best day, we would have a tough time breaking them down. Can't see them losing their top spot any time soon. 

2 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

So you would quite happily watch performances like today until the end of the season resulting in relegation,  do you not think the manager needs to tell the players what the fans see, instead of it was a "good performance" 

Just a reminder:

Of our last four games, we have won 2, drawn 1 and lost 1.

Right?

What did you expect?

13 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Come on man. You know exactly what I'm saying that's not an intelligent thing to say. We're in the last 16 of the Champions League , 5 points clear of relegation and have been doing OK of late. 

When we went to Stamford Bridge in October we played with Hernandez, Schlupp, Amartey & Musa all in the starting XI - playing 4-4-2 - I remember in the crowd there was so much expectation that day.

I think although the personnel was better today the balance wasn't right, with Ndidi, Mendy and Chilwell all trying to settle in - there's too much chopping & changing - at the same time Chelsea were on top form today.

I think our pre-season was also crap - trips playing in Scotland/USA/Sweden shouldn't have been a time for us to show off - we should have worked out our first team THEN - not STILL trying to discover it in January & I think this is many fans' frustration. Nobody is expecting us to finish top 4 - but we had such an amazing opportunity in the summer to build on the platform on which we built.

The alarming thing is we've lost our hunger and 'fighting for our lives spirit'.

One can only hope that the super cars, long contracts, wage increases/bonuses haven't gone to the players head.

You saw today that Chelsea's front 3 looked so comfortable together and had so much movement - I wonder what our front 3 do in training- I can't remember the last time we cut open a defence - do we ever work on set peices anymore?

Archived