Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

President Trump & the USA

10 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

A lot of the Wolff book is inevitably going to be inaccurate hearsay fed by embittered parties but it says a lot that Trump's got lawyers trying to block its release, smoke and fire etc.

Stable door, bolting horse.

It's already #1 on the Amazon bestseller list, I believe.

Guest FriendlyRam

Hes just what we thought really. An incompetent buffoon surrounded by even bigger incompetent buffoons. And it doesnt do much for poor old jared, hes been painted as someone who is the picked on kid, according to that link Trump constantly belittles him and talks over him. It really does sound bad how idiotic theyve been made to look.

9 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

A lot of the Wolff book is inevitably going to be inaccurate hearsay fed by embittered parties but it says a lot that Trump's got lawyers trying to block its release, smoke and fire etc.

I’m not so sure about that. 

The journalist / publisher of this would know that once bits got out Trump and his legal team would probably come hard at them - and these aren’t ameaturs in the publishing world either, so they would be making sure their evidence to back up all claims in the book is strong and in place.

Additionally, Trump’s legal team have not gone for an injunction, merely a cease and desist (essentially a threat), which has back fired in terms of the release being pulled forward (another example of the publisher being prepared).

True an injunction would have been difficult for a sitting President to obtain given the 1st amendment, but if the book is ‘all lies’ they’d surely have a case?

But then, one issue with trying to obtain an injunction, is that in US law I believe it is the claimant (i.e. Trump) that has to provide a burden of proof as to the falsehood of libellous statements they are complaining about - that could get very messy in court and end up effectively ‘proving’ some claims (due to them not being contested), only lessening some and striking out a few.

Finally, one more reason that makes me think the book holds strong truthful elements to it... had the Trump whitehouse been more functional than it’s claimed, they’d have spotted this guy’s actions long ago and got a hold of this matter accordingly before it got anywhere near being published.

Looks like I will be trying to buy a book tomorrow now!

Quite frankly the fact that Wolff was seemingly free to just walk around the White House without any sort of formal agreement about on / off the record sums up this administration.

Unlikely they did any sort of background work on Wolff as he's wrote a negative book about Murdoch in the past and you'd assume if Uncle Rupert knew he'd have warned Trump, despite the fact he clearly thinks he's a moron like the rest of us.

Wolff also seems to have tapes of a dinner that Bannon attended which is where a lot of the quotes have come from. Quite shocking. lol

Trump won't actually take legal action. If he does, there'll have to be an investigation in to every claim in the book and whether or not the author had good grounds to believe they were true. 

Even if only a quarter of it is accurate, it opens him up to an enormous amount of ridicule and scandal. 

He'll just do his best to find people to discredit Wolff, Bannon and everyone else involved so that he can dismiss it as rubbish. 

• Like 1

The thing that amazes me about Trump, and the whole situation, is that I've never seen any evidence that he's anything other than a big lump of idiocy with any clue at all what he's doing.

Although I've been horrified by some of the actions and missteps by UK prime ministers over the years, they've all at least given the impression of having a decent grasp of what's required to lead a country - even if I didn't like their policies I could see why people would vote for them. With Trump, I just cannot grasp why, even if you really didn't like Hillary Clinton, why you'd see him as someone you'd want anywhere near the reigns of power

• Like 1

Guest FriendlyRam

Hes pretty much threatening bannon and wolff on twitter 

Cant believe what we're watching, the president resorting to threats on a social media site 

"Sloppy steve" :sleep:

Just now, Captain... said:

Just checked his twitter, interesting stuff about the DOW index. Is Trump right to be taking credit for this? It does look pretty impressive.

I have no doubt that the bigger businesses have gotten a boost under this administration.

It's just a question of whether that's your only definition of success.

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I have no doubt that the bigger businesses have gotten a boost under this administration.

It's just a question of whether that's your only definition of success.

Of course it's not the only measure of success, but it is something that Trump and his supporters can rightly point to as an indication that Trump is making America great again.

2 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Of course it's not the only measure of success, but it is something that Trump and his supporters can rightly point to as an indication that Trump is making America great again.

Oh yes, I'm sure they can.

And then others can point to the manifold other issues to say that he's not, cause just looking at material gain rather lacks perspective IMO.

• Like 1

Guest MattP
4 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Lower taxes and business rates reduction will see America go through an economic and job boom, corporation tax is already ludicrously high and he'll continue to drop it - what he won't tell you is it it will add around 1.5trillion to the national debt future generations will pay for. 

Ironically it's brilliant left and right wing populism in one piece of legislation, if the next election is fought on economics Trump will be in a good position but it's highly likely it won't be.

The good thing is it will kill off the politics of people like Bernie Sanders who think you can tax people for taking a piss and it will somehow create wealth. 

Guest MattP

Been reading the extracts of the book today, interesting when you get into the characters, sure some of it is close to the truth. 

Some of it clearly bollocks as well, one point it claims Trump didn't know who John Boehner was even though they are old golf buddies.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

Been reading the extracts of the book today, interesting when you get into the characters, sure some of it is close to the truth. 

Some of it clearly bollocks as well, one point it claims Trump didn't know who John Boehner was even though they are old golf buddies.

That's what I get from it too, Wolff doesn't exactly have the best rep so I think there's a mix of truth and falsehoods there.

That being said, do Trump and his buddies really want to take this to court and have the tapes released for all to hear?

Some of it I can believe. Some of it sounds bollocks as Matt says. I can imagine he got into the Republican race to boost his ratings but I seriously doubt they were all that shocked on the night of the election. Dems have never won more than 2 in a row I think, Clinton was obviously a poor candidate so I don't believe he "looked as if he'd seen a ghost". 

All very entertaining though. Like the Sopranos with worse haircuts. 

Guest MattP
4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

That's what I get from it too, Wolff doesn't exactly have the best rep so I think there's a mix of truth and falsehoods there.

That being said, do Trump and his buddies really want to take this to court and have the tapes released for all to hear?

Depends if they exist I suppose!

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Depends if they exist I suppose!

I'd say they'd have to, Wolff and the publisher had to know this was coming and wouldn't get involved in a legal knife fight like this unless they actually had the weaponry - unless they're playing the biggest game of bluff ever and are counting on the mere threat of their existence to ensure this doesn't go to open court.

16 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

I’m not so sure about that. 

The journalist / publisher of this would know that once bits got out Trump and his legal team would probably come hard at them - and these aren’t ameaturs in the publishing world either, so they would be making sure their evidence to back up all claims in the book is strong and in place.

Additionally, Trump’s legal team have not gone for an injunction, merely a cease and desist (essentially a threat), which has back fired in terms of the release being pulled forward (another example of the publisher being prepared).

True an injunction would have been difficult for a sitting President to obtain given the 1st amendment, but if the book is ‘all lies’ they’d surely have a case?

But then, one issue with trying to obtain an injunction, is that in US law I believe it is the claimant (i.e. Trump) that has to provide a burden of proof as to the falsehood of libellous statements they are complaining about - that could get very messy in court and end up effectively ‘proving’ some claims (due to them not being contested), only lessening some and striking out a few.

Finally, one more reason that makes me think the book holds strong truthful elements to it... had the Trump whitehouse been more functional than it’s claimed, they’d have spotted this guy’s actions long ago and got a hold of this matter accordingly before it got anywhere near being published.

Looks like I will be trying to buy a book tomorrow now!

Apparently the author kept notes and recordings. There's no way it isn't being released. 

8 minutes ago, FriendlyRam said:

https://twitter.com/johntomkiw

Dunno if it works but you can find it on twitter, regarding the 13th amendments and le bron

If thats true the man is a disgrace imo, should be slaughtered for that comment.

Yeah, I think he's just joking beariby in mind his next tweet

https://twitter.com/johntomkiw/status/949322728959561728?s=17

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">From page 725 of <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/fireandfurybook?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#fireandfurybook</a>: Trump stepped out of the secure bunker and surveyed the smoking ruins. Kushner staggered through the rubble, clutching Ivanka and softly weeping, while Pence looked around, dumbfounded. &quot;Well, that was fun,&quot; Trump said, without a trace of irony.</p>&mdash; John Tomkiw (@johntomkiw) <a href="https://twitter.com/johntomkiw/status/949322728959561728?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 5, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Guest MattP

What I don't get is if this book is true and Trump didn't actually want to win, why did he collude with Russia to try and win?

Just now, MattP said:

What I don't get is if this book is true and Trump didn't actually want to win, why did he collude with Russia to try and win?

The other thing the book tells you (as if it weren't obvious enough just listening to the guy) is that Trump is thick as pig shit.