Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dan LCFC

Ranieri sacked

Just now, l444ry said:

After watching the Shakespeare press conference it's clear we need a clean sweep of backroom staff and players, him included.. 

Many players need to be moved on I agree.  But why Shakespeare?

5 hours ago, MPH said:

I think it's all very sneaky by the owners. They want to keep us in the premier league. They're businessmen after all. They'll use the discontent of the players as their reason to sack him when really they wanted him gone anyway  and then they can distance themselves from all blame and point to the players when the questions start coming...

I don't dispute that the owners' main motive was to promote their business interests by staying in the Premier League.

But surely, by that logic, whatever the reasons for our decline, they only sacked Claudio because they thought we were going down under his leadership and might stay up under a different manager?

If so, I agree with their decision - not because of league position alone, but because of our performances and trajectory over several months. We've looked relegation certainties and have shown no sign of improvement.

Whatever has gone wrong, a lot of the blame lies with the players for their clueless, uncommitted performances....but a lot also lies with Claudio as the bloke who ultimately could neither inspire an improvement nor replace the under-performers.

The owners seem to be citing the risks of relegation as the grounds for Claudio's dismissal, not player discontent, though all sorts of rumours abound.

I couldn't give a shit about King Power's business prospects, but share their desire to keep LCFC in the Premier League. A few weeks ago, I wondered whether I'd be bothered about relegation. After all, there's a lot of bullshit associated with the PL, all the money, hype and bandwagon-jumpers. It can also be more fun challenging at the top of the Championship, rather than battling to avoid PL relegation.

But if we stay up, our outlook could be quite good. I'd hate to see promising prospects like Ndidi, Gray & Chilwell go elsewhere. I'd also hate to see those, like Schmeichel, who've shown longstanding commitment, go elsewhere for a better standard of football. Our squad will need a summer overhaul whichever league we're in next season. I'm sure Mahrez will go. Any players who are over the hill or can no longer motivate themselves will have to go. But the overhaul needed if we go down could be on a horrendous scale. Not only would we lose Mahrez and the dead wood, we'd also probably lose our young prospects and other top performers such as Schmeichel.....and if some players are struggling to motivate themselves to play in the PL, how will they motivate themselves to play 46 matches in the Championship?! Given the scale of the likely overhaul, we could easily end up in another relegation struggle in the Championship next season, money or no money.

Relegation could mean several years of decline and struggle, even assuming the owners want to stay on board. If we stay up and make the right decisions in the summer, we could easily be a competitive mid-table PL side next season, with many of our current squad still involved. Some will have to go, but hopefully others can bounce back and recover their form and commitment, our young prospects can improve and the future can be bright again.

It's a sad day. Whoever shares the responsibility for this year's collapse (and they'll know) should be utterly ashamed. But the sacking is the right decision for the club and fans, not just for King Power's coffers.

42 minutes ago, Koke said:

Many players need to be moved on I agree.  But why Shakespeare?

I understand he has to keep the players on his side for Monday and beyond but. to me, he looked like a man not telling the whole truth. Ranieri's biggest error was not bringing in his own complete backroom staff. You only find out who your real friends are when the going gets tough. It looks like he was hung out to dry by Shakespeare and the players. The next manager won't keep him. that's for sure. 

Finally a pundit who talks some sense. All these people having their say, don't seem to have a clue how bad we have been playing for 8 months! 

We are in absolute free fall and have seen no spark in 8 months and many "clear the air" talks later..  If we want to stay up, we needed a change. 

10 minutes ago, l444ry said:

I understand he has to keep the players on his side for Monday and beyond but. to me, he looked like a man not telling the whole truth. Ranieri's biggest error was not bringing in his own complete backroom staff. You only find out who your real friends are when the going gets tough. It looks like he was hung out to dry by Shakespeare and the players. The next manager won't keep him. that's for sure. 

Agree.

Yes, he wasn't telling the whole truth, but that's understandable. PR job.

Unless its Pearson, you can guarantee that the new gaffer will clear out all of the existing coaching staff at the club.

Felt sick since the moment of hearing this after landing last night. So many factors have gone into our poor form this season, loss of walsh and kante, below average recruitment, drop in focus and intensity, players peaking etc. With claudio tactics and man management seemingly diminishing with the players rapidly he of course bears responsibilty, but i can't say this is warranted especially after this imaginary 'backing' from the owners and leading us to the f**king title. Yes I'll always love the club its in my dna...but for me this is a dark day in our history. Good luck claudio you deserve a statue mate.

1 hour ago, the fox said:

I'm really starting to think that the fairytale for non-liecester fans was for the club to win the league and get relegated in a matter of one year.

Of course it was. We've potentially ruined their story cos we've made a change and could now stay up.

10 minutes ago, Joefox said:

Of course it was. We've potentially ruined their story cos we've made a change and could now stay up.

I pretty much think the same. A lot of the other fans wishing a relegation have hidden motives

• The teams in the relegation battle fans will want the worst version of Leicester
  •  
  • The team in the middle fans will want Leicester to be relegated for two reasons 1- they could be challenged for their spot 2- they are a living reminder that a team can achieve more then mid table mediocrity
  •  
  • The teams on the top fans will not like an outsider to remind the teams that place from 7 to 12 that there is hope of winning the league

Again, I said some fans because maybe, just maybe there are other fans that think the move was unfair.

Common line - 'Where were these players before Ranieri?'

My reply - Where was Ranieri before he joined an inform Leicester? Washed up after being playing part in one of the most awful results in international football all time. 

Sad but it simply had to be done. Last season was achieved by a collective he was the head of and this season he's disrupted that collective, paid the price and failed to keep the players motivated. 

Unfortuantely in football when things go wrong the easier thing to correct is the manager. 

As for players going to owners or viceversa, it happens a lot more than people or media think in this era of football.

7 minutes ago, the fox said:

I pretty much think the same. A lot of the other fans wishing a relegation have hidden motives

• The teams in the relegation battle fans will want the worst version of Leicester
  •  
  • The team in the middle fans will want Leicester to be relegated for two reasons 1- they could be challenged for their spot 2- they are a living reminder that a team can achieve more then mid table mediocrity
  •  
  • The teams on the top fans will not like an outsider to remind the teams that place from 7 to 12 that there is hope of winning the league

Again, I said some fans because maybe, just maybe there are other fans that think the move was unfair.

Exactly. It benefits them for Ranieri to stay with us. All these supporters of other clubs and pundits do not have the best interests of Leicester City Football Club at heart. They don't care what happens to us.

The players have underperformed this season, that is of no doubt. That said, they didn't force Ranieri to start Musa against Sevilla, or play the same hopeless defence game after game or shun Ulloa. 

Ranieri was the maker of his own downfall.

8 minutes ago, the fox said:

Yeah, but let's slate the players that are actually still in the club. That will fix things

Ok.. but can we slate the owners who listened to the players?.... burnley stuck by dyche when they went down.. the thais have just trashed a global brand..... i doubt that's in the best long term interest of the club 

Fascinating insight from Ray Wilkins tonight.  Saying how it was quite common that players would come up to him when he was an assistant under Claudio at Chelsea asking what the hell they were supposed to be doing due to Claudio's constant tactical tinkering and poor communication.

Also how when Chelsea player St Gallen, Ranieri asked Wilkins for recommendations to which Wilkins stated that with all due respect, Chelsea were a 4-4-2 side and two players that should never be dropped were Desailly and Wise.  Later than night the team sheet comes in and it's a 3-5-2 with no Desailly and Wise...Chelsea were knocked out.

Sounded awful familiar to what we've seen and heard this season.

Archived