Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dan LCFC

Ranieri sacked

2 minutes ago, Kaewbudda said:

Only problem with your analogy/argument is that Ranieri has made an absolute fortune for the club, by winning the Premier League (last year) and going through to the knockout stages of the Champions League (this year). We are now officially the world's 20th richest club.

Top 20 clubs:

Position (last year's position), team, 2015/16 revenue £m, (2014/15 revenue £m)

• 1 (3) Manchester United 515.3 (395.2)
  • 2 (2) FC Barcelona 463.8 (426.6)
  • 3 (1) Real Madrid 463.8 (439)
  • 4 (5) Bayern Munich 442.7 (360.6)
  • 5 (6) Manchester City 392.6 (352.6)
  • 6 (4) Paris Saint-Germain 389.6 (365.8)
  • 7 (7) Arsenal 350.4 (331.3)
  • 8 (8) Chelsea 334.6 (319.5)
  • 9 (9) Liverpool 302 (298.1)
  • 10 (10) Juventus 255.1 (246.4)
  • 11 (11) Borussia Dortmund 212.3 (213.5)
  • 12 (12) Tottenham Hotspur 209.2 (195.9)
  • 13 (16) Atlético de Madrid 171 (134.4)
  • 14 (13) Schalke 04 167.9 (167.1)
  • 15 (15) AS Roma 163.2 (136.3)
  • 16 (14) AC Milan 160.6 (151.5)
  • 17 (18) FC Zenit St Petersburg 147 (127.7)
  • 18 (na) West Ham United 143.8 (122.4)
  • 19 (20) Internazionale 134 (125.4)
  • 20 (na) Leicester City 128.7 (104.4)

The club's incredible march to become champions of England sees City become one of eight Premier League clubs in the top 20 in the Deloitte Money League for 2015/16 after seeing a 23 per cent (£24.3million) growth in revenue to £128.7m.

That growth was bettered only by Manchester United, Bayern Munich and Atletico Madrid.

And with City now into the last 16 of the Champions League, and the increased television deal also to be taken into account, the club are expected to maintain or even better their position next year.

City's revenue last season was also a five-fold increase from 2013/14.

We are NOT the 20th richest club in the world!! When do people finally get to realize it's about turnover only? lol

2 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Wowsers.

lol

No reason why I can't date Rachel Riley, retire next year and live on an island in the Caribbean.

Aim high, eh?

:thumbup:

To be fair, im not sure ill allow my wife to date you.

I do feel sad that it's actually happened but at the same time, it had to. Making the same old mistakes every week and hoping something would give is not the way to win survival. 

Thanks for everything Claudio, you are a true legend, but you had to go.

9 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

It's all a very sad end, but I think if we're being totally honest - it could've been sadder, and by that I mean it could've ended up in relegation under him this season.

The timing of it is very odd. After losing to the likes of Bournemouth, Swansea, Watford, West Brom, Sunderland, Burnley, a horribly out of form Southampton and being smacked a few times helplessly, I find it odd that a 2-1 defeat at one of the best home teams in Europe was what tipped them over the edge.

But that if anything suggests to me that it was more than down to what was happening on the pitch. Were there other off-pitch factors that were leading to such problems on the field? I got told a while ago that there was a lot of discontent amongst the squad and that Ranieri wasn't anywhere near as popular with his players as he was seemingly everyone else, and since then I've seen nothing but evidence to back that up - the public bashing (Ulloa, Schlupp, Zieler), the performances, the visual lack of communication.

I think the decision may have been made now because we're actually in a slightly more attractive position now than we were yesterday. As ****ed up as it sounds, we're in a stronger position in the CL than we were two days ago, the majority assumed we would be thumped and now we're in with a genuinely realistic chance of going through.

The decision itself I feel is justified. I'm not criticising Ranieri for not hitting last years heights, as I think that's quite an unrealistic view to take - but we aren't just not hitting them, we are genuinely an awful team. We don't create chances, we don't defend well, we don't keep the ball well, I challenge anyone here to tell me what Leicester's strong points are at the minute, because I couldn't say myself.

Ranieri got it so wrong for me at times this year that it's made me question how important he really was last year. Now he's obviously played his part, but I just cannot get on board with comments like "Ranieri delivered Simpson & Morgan PL winners medals" when it's not only reciprocal, but massively questionable when he has repeatedly failed to get anywhere near the best from them this season. You can blame the players to an extent too and they're far from exempt from criticism, but what do you expect someone like Simpson to do as a full-back in a diamond when he's not an attacking full-back? It's absolutely basic stuff. No-one that tactically astute would make such errors.

It isn't all on Ranieri. The recruitment has been the single worst set of dealings I can remember a club ever making. We have spent absolutely millions and have regressed significantly. We have failed to bring in players to fit any kind of system and have overpaid what we already had. It's a recipe for disaster.

But overall I just feel he did have to go. It's a very sad day for the club, but it was getting so bad that we've been left with little choice. The problem is as I've previously stated I don't have any faith in us picking the right person. I feel we've gotten quite lucky with managerial appointments in the past. They wouldn't have gone near Pearson if he hadn't been at the club before and they wouldn't have gone near Ranieri if he didn't publicly throw his name into the ring. I get the impression that at Leicester it's too often a case of panic and hope for the best. There's very little direction nowadays on the footballing side, and that for me is what we need to address above all.

With a heavy heart, I say, correct decision. Thank you for being a part of the club that made my dreams come true.

good read :thumbup:

6 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Thanks for the link :)

So the senior players have a meeting with the owners in Seville after the game.

The owners then decide to sack him.

Explains the lack of emotion on the bench when we equalised and the strange timing of his dismissal.

If things really were that bad under Ranieri, I guess we can all expect a huge improvement from the players on Monday against Liverpool, can't we?

18 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

He lost the dressing room, just like Mourinho last year. It's been obvious for months. I wonder what was the turning point as to why it happened? Latest rumour is that they practiced a 4-5-1 formation with Gray in the team, but he was left out in the final lineup. 

After sleeping on it I am still so upset. You can understand why the decision was made, but I am upset because I just can't understand why the falling out has happened. It's hard to imagine anyone being upset with Ranieri... even the Chelsea players who were managed by him all speak fondly of him.

Its a shame as he is a genuinely top bloke who guided us to the ultimate prize in English football for that reason he will always remain a legend.

However this season has been the complete opposite, its not all because of him but a big part of the blame for this seasons results has to be pointed at Claudio unfortunately.

Persisting with the same team almost every week after last seasons massive haul and barely a break in the summer is what has cost him.

The players don't help the cause either as they have been categorically shite all season, whether that's tiredness, increase in wages or just an overall loss of desire it doesn't help the manager one bit although at the end of the day he is the one that picks the team.

Thanks and Farewell.

NOW GET PEARSON BACK

35 minutes ago, Out Foxed said:

i'm not happy with some players performances can we get rid of them too?

I don't think anyone is, but if the stories of training one way all week then changing tactics last minute, or giving out confusing instructions are true you can maybe understand the players frustrations.

Doesn't excuse some of the basic mistakes some of our players make too often, nor the gutless performances some seem to give (whether they are happy with the tactics or not), but let's hope if those stories had any truth to them, what we see on Monday is everyone singing from the same hymn sheet and a happier looking squad that shows a better understanding of playing to our strengths on the pitch.

I'm sad Claudio is gone, but then I was sad when Pearson went. Hopefully whoever comes in has an equally good impact on the team and we head towards a mid table finish this season and build and improve over summer ready for the next! (Perhaps the players need to voice concern over Rudkins transfer policies too ....)

1 hour ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

They have done him a favour albeit it is a sad one.

Emotions aside we are on crash course for relegation. I, and i'm sure most sensible city fans believe the team is unfolding and without change relegation is a certainty and with still a possibility.

Win win for Claudio.

We are relegated and he wasn't at the helm at the end so he won't be remembered as the manager that won the league and then relegated, just winning it.

We escape relegation and the club will be thought of as that bunch of bastards that sacked a league manager when their season was turning for the good.

I've just heard that the players went to the chairman and complained about CR next I know they sack him. Does anyone no if this is true. 

1 hour ago, Kaewbudda said:

Thanks for the link :)

So the senior players have a meeting with the owners in Seville after the game.

The owners then decide to sack him.

Explains the lack of emotion on the bench when we equalised and the strange timing of his dismissal.

If things really were that bad under Ranieri, I guess we can all expect a huge improvement from the players on Monday against Liverpool, can't we?

Thanks I've just posted if that was true about the players going to the chairman you have just confirmed it thanks for the info 

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

The 3 words "Called by owners" are massively important, if true.

Claudio being sacked after the owners called a meeting with the players to identify problems/solutions is a different scenario from them sacking him after the players sought a meeting to knife him.

The owners were in regular contact with Claudio anyway. So, they would have known his perspective already.

If they listened to Claudio (and others), then listened to the players and decided that he had to go, that is very telling.

It doesn't mean that "the problem" was all Claudio. It clearly wasn't. Part of the problem was the attitude and performance of the players on the pitch.

But whoever shared the blame for the problems, it sounds as if the owners decided Claudio couldn't be part of the solution.

Let's hope we can now stay up, regroup in the summer, keep those young players with bright potential (Ndidi, Gray, Chilwell etc.), those established players whose commitment hasn't wavered (Schmeichel and, er......) or whose commitment can be rescued or renewed (????) and replace those who lack the commitment, ability or character to recover and start contributing again.

2 minutes ago, Johnthefoxrayner said:

Thanks I've just posted if that was true about the players going to the chairman you have just confirmed it thanks for the info 

You're welcome :)

But we are still not sure what was said and by whom. Lots of rumours flying around.

Ranieri has every right to feel betrayed because some of the players have been awful, yet he still showed loyalty by playing them every week.

Whilst I am saddened by this decision and did not want to see him go in this way, unfortunately it was the only option. We have been awful all season and only seemed to be getting worse, if he was to carry on then relegation looked pretty much nailed on, he had more than enough time to show signs that he could turn it around but nothing he did suggested this was the case, we haven’t scored a goal in the league this year and it’s March next week!

He has absolutely been let down by the players but he is far from blameless, his blind loyalty to certain players has been baffling, his team selections and tactics have been awful and our recruitment has been appalling, although how much control he has over this I do not know. These players have been through so much together, it really makes you wonder what has gone on that has caused their ill feeling towards him, I am interested to see the news as it leaks out as time goes on as I am confident the stories we have heard about are only the tip of the iceberg. This is not to say I am not angry at the players because I am, but I am very interested to hear their side of this story. I did get a bit fed up listening to his comments, preseason talking about getting 40 points? We are the champions, it should not have even entered their heads that survival was the goal, if that’s what the manager is talking about then the players mentality becomes one of well that is acceptable, if that was the ambition for this year then no wonder Kante wanted to leave. Of course behind the scenes it could have been different, but for now we don’t know. Also the hypocrisy of suggesting that last year’s success was because of him but this year’s struggles are because of the players, give me a break.

The pundits or so called ‘experts’ that are coming out of the woodwork calling it a disgrace frustrate me, they have not seen what we have seen this season, and as others have said, why should we accept that we are Leicester City and this is our rightful place? Sorry but that is complete rubbish. Sky Sports asked some of their Soccer Saturday pundits who they thought would be relegated, and out of the four they asked only Phil Thompson thought we would stay up, if that’s what they think then why should we carry on as we are, heading for relegation? And as for those fans of other teams laying in to us, they will be the same ones who were last week laughing at us for being near the relegation zone and declaring last season a ‘fluke’.

34 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

The 3 words "Called by owners" are massively important, if true.

Claudio being sacked after the owners called a meeting with the players to identify problems/solutions is a different scenario from them sacking him after the players sought a meeting to knife him.

The owners were in regular contact with Claudio anyway. So, they would have known his perspective already.

If they listened to Claudio (and others), then listened to the players and decided that he had to go, that is very telling.

It doesn't mean that "the problem" was all Claudio. It clearly wasn't. Part of the problem was the attitude and performance of the players on the pitch.

But whoever shared the blame for the problems, it sounds as if the owners decided Claudio couldn't be part of the solution.

Let's hope we can now stay up, regroup in the summer, keep those young players with bright potential (Ndidi, Gray, Chilwell etc.), those established players whose commitment hasn't wavered (Schmeichel and, er......) or whose commitment can be rescued or renewed (????) and replace those who lack the commitment, ability or character to recover and start contributing again.

I think it's all very sneaky by the owners. They want to keep us in the premier league. They're businessmen after all. They'll use the discontent of the players as their reason to sack him when really they wanted him gone anyway  and then they can distance themselves from all blame and point to the players when the questions start coming...

2 hours ago, psychonaut said:

There wasn't time for there to have been a meeting with the players after the Seville game

The owners flew back straight after the game

I very much doubt the players and owners had a meeting at Seville's ground

The mass hysteria whipped up by blinkered supporters, non-supporter’s and the media is rather hilarious now. Claudio is not infallible, his name is not Brian, he is not the messiah. yes football is like a religion to a lot of us but come on people he's just an ordinary man (yes sure a very nice man) who DID a fantastic job last year of managing a group of semi-decent footballers and TOGETHER they brought us immense joy but as it’s turned out Claudio has made a right pigs ear of it this year and it’s blindingly obvious to some of us with eyes open that he’s totally out of his depth with the current situation. CR can not manage this current bunch of players having a horrid streak of form plus some with bad attitudes. He's had ample opportunity to play others who could have made some difference but he’s clearly stubborn beyond belief.  

So stop acting like it’s the end of HIS world. He’ll be fine, he's now cashed up to the eyeballs, has accolades coming out of his bum hole and would know full well he'll always be a life long Leicester hero so come on face the reality, every dog has it’s day, CR the football manager of LCFC was dead and buried months ago, you should have prepared yourself for this shock. The owners (like all top flight club owners) are running a business not a hippy love camp. If you adore him more than this club then go build yourself a shrine and erect a mini stature of him then kiss it's feet on your Saturday afternoons… surrender your tickets to real supporters of THE CLUB.

Guest CityFan 06

I got a call while I was out last night, re. Claudio. I am shocked at the timing of it, and a very tough decision for the club to make. To me, I wasn't actually seeing us surviving under Ranieri, and this is partly due to some players not being behind him. It was a difficult move to take, but ultimately we wouldn't want relegation under Ranieri. It's very sad how it's had to end. His persona in interviews was class, and he installed belief into the group of players. He delivered us the Premier League title and European football, and managed a team who gave us unforgettable memories. He will forever be a legend of the club.

More than anything, I think we need to seriously try and work on a new approach as a club going forward.

I didn't buy what Ranieri was about when we appointed him. I saw him as a bit of a short-termist, on the way down as a manager and only really brought in because he was a name manager like Sven. I was prepared to see what he could do, and what panned out was quite incredible. He was the perfect man at the perfect time.

But this season I completely lost any faith in him taking us forward as a club. The foundations that were there that served him so well were being ripped apart. The staff were going and the dressing room was falling to pieces.

Leicester need to first of all, bin Rudkin. Make all the defence of him you want, and "how do you know what he's doing wrong" but it's not what he's doing wrong, it's what he's not doing right. Not a single person on here can defend the Wague signing. That signing completely epitomises everything we've become - careless, complacent and desperate. When you see Southampton losing their star players every single summer and nearly always staying comfortably afloat, you have to look at what they're doing that we aren't.

We need a director of football in place with a real know-how, someone who really is focused on growing this club, improving the team with clever signings, improving the academy, improving the facilities - really putting a model in place so that Leicester can sustain themselves at this level and eventually push on, just like what Sevilla have done. I stress this - read about their director of football, Sevilla are not a traditionally big or successful club, they are just very well run and are growing as a result. They lost their best players and manager in the summer for about the thousandth year running and yet they're pushing Barcelona & Real Madrid for the title.

But having heard Rudkin's leading the search for the new man, well, even if we stay up I fear we're going to be having these exact discussions in a year, because that above all is the fundamental flaw.

Archived