Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
STUHILL

Can we continue to carry Mahrez?

Prime example of what we have seen from Mahrez all season, was just after the Vardy goal, where he allowed Coutinho to jog past him into space behind Simpson who was occupied with another attacker, Coutinho then had space, got the ball and fired at Schmeichel who made a smart save, which then rebounded to Mahrez, who then tried a trick, lost it and put us in instant danger again. 

Examples like that have been far too frequent this season and I think he can do better in those types of situations. 

6 hours ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I'm not sure which goal you think Mahrez set up last night? 

Do do you mean his 'set up' (2yd pass) to Fuchs to cross for the 3rd goal? 

Hmmm .. yes .. and that was the best fvcking footbal gesture of the night .. You don't appreciate, ok. ... but let the others enjoy before he leaves in few weeks time .. I know your chronic and passionate hatred of Mahrez ..

I think marez when at his prime is a genuis.just been let down this season.he's been here quite a long time for his talent without being snapped up by a euro top team.so he's not doing a kante be leaving in the summer I was surprised he stayed last year.I think it would be a wise decision for him to go and progress in his career and who can blame him. if he moves to another European top club he's been loyal enough and will go down as one of the best midfeilds in cities history.but would be great if he stayed if we stayed up.

54 minutes ago, Jonno84 said:

I think marez when at his prime is a genuis.just been let down this season.he's been here quite a long time for his talent without being snapped up by a euro top team.so he's not doing a kante be leaving in the summer I was surprised he stayed last year.I think it would be a wise decision for him to go and progress in his career and who can blame him. if he moves to another European top club he's been loyal enough and will go down as one of the best midfeilds in cities history.but would be great if he stayed if we stayed up.

I think if he continues to struggle, then a move to a top team may be a harder for him, especially one that is likely to pay him more than 100k a week. 

We all know how good he can be on his day, but when was the last time he had a day like that? 

If his poor form continues and we stay up, then I can see us having a decent chance of holding on to him another 6 months at least. I'm sure some big clubs are monitoring his situation and will be ready to make a move if others start bidding, but it could be a quiet summer for him unless he picks up form again. 

If we stay up, there is no point him leaving to go to an Everton or West Ham etc. He should only go if an Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool come knocking. Will they though? We can still demand a high fee for him.

Be interesting to see what develops in the summer, but with Gray looking very decent, I think we have an adequate replacement lined up. His magic will be missed though. Just hope he can rediscover it over the next 12 games. 

4 hours ago, MattCan said:

Hmmm .. yes .. and that was the best fvcking footbal gesture of the night .. You don't appreciate, ok. ... but let the others enjoy before he leaves in few weeks time .. I know your chronic and passionate hatred of Mahrez ..

Dude, I hope you're wearing protective glasses when staring up Mahrez' shiny behind as much as you do.

It was a fine bit of play, but it wasn't even the best bit of play in that one sequence. 

It's also insulting towards Drinkwater who scored a contender for goal of the season with a strike of such quality that you would've milked it for months had Danny been in possession of an Algerian passport.

Mahrez is capable of much more than he showed yesterday. I feel he had improved upon recent form, but to suggest it's "hate", stupidity, ungratefulness or whatever similar tags you wish to put on anyone daring to criticise him is excessive and frankly unwarranted.

Class is permanent and I thought there were some good signs that he's getting back to decent form yesterday. He left one of their defenders for dead in the area with his pace and trickery and i think Drinkwater blazed over.  Only Mahrez can do that in our team.

He has to  start v Hull on Saturday.

10 hours ago, Al-aLondon-Foxile said:

I've only read the OP, but i was saying last night we need to hook him. He offers nothing defensively and currently almost nothing going forward this season. Last season was different, he was unplayable at times, and defensively we had Kante to cover his shortcomings. Right now I'd bench him and have Gray instead. He'll be off in the summer anyway, so why not start to formulate a side for next season and get Gray in his happy place! 

mahrezface.PNG

1 minute ago, Mythyaar said:

Class is permanent and I thought there were some good signs that he's getting back to decent form yesterday. He left one of their defenders for dead in the area with his pace and trickery and i think Drinkwater blazed over.  Only Mahrez can do that in our team.

He has to  start v Hull on Saturday.

Best move he made all game. Slowing down as he suckered in the defender only to take his first touch on the outside of the defender and past him. However just ten minutes later Gray runs half the length of the pitch, bamboozling the Liverpool defense only to slip as he's about to pull the trigger. 

Gray, on current form, can offer similar things to an off the boil Mahrez. But you just know that if Mahrez gets inspired just once during a game, chances are it results in a goal.

I think Mahrez should still start with Gray coming on during the second half for Riyad or Marc when legs start to tire, because I hope and believe Mahrez will produce when the rest of team play confidently.

2 hours ago, foxtillidrop said:

I think he needs a break and a chance to regain fitness, hunger and sharpness.

Looks bulkier than before but to the detriment of his game.

Bulky? There's so little on him, a starving sprat would turn him down as a meal.       

5 hours ago, shen said:

Dude, I hope you're wearing protective glasses when staring up Mahrez' shiny behind as much as you do.

It was a fine bit of play, but it wasn't even the best bit of play in that one sequence. 

It's also insulting towards Drinkwater who scored a contender for goal of the season with a strike of such quality that you would've milked it for months had Danny been in possession of an Algerian passport.

Mahrez is capable of much more than he showed yesterday. I feel he had improved upon recent form, but to suggest it's "hate", stupidity, ungratefulness or whatever similar tags you wish to put on anyone daring to criticise him is excessive and frankly unwarranted.

This is ridiculous. You think I'm Algerian? I'm not. This is indeed insulting to Algerians. You think they can't formulate a sound opinion and are all idiots?

Let me reverse it. If Mahrez were English, you think he would be slated  the way he is? Explain to me why he was not even rated in the top 5 of the starting XI by the overall FT ratings of last season, while the professional players of England gave him the ultimate distinction?

Why is it always you and a known number of posters who are always thrashing him and giving silly reps to each other. By the way, go read the past posts of the poster you're advocating for (see above), when it comes to Mahrez, it's vomittingly ugly.

1 hour ago, shen said:

Like English people here voting for gray as the second best player vs Sevilla or overhyping him because he has a little pace and shot on him but no end product. Is it really hard for you to believe that there are people out there that rate mahrez (I"m Algerian by the way)

BTW, mahrez scored a far better goal against man city and no Algerian did such thing as milking it.

He played well in patches against Liverpool, more so for the 3rd goal but no doubt he's out of form. We seem to be carrying him a little but we all know he's the one that can produce magic. Something out of nothing. He needs to find form quickly because Gray is really starting to push for a start now. 

9 hours ago, MattCan said:

This is ridiculous. You think I'm Algerian? I'm not. This is indeed insulting to Algerians. You think they can't formulate a sound opinion and are all idiots?

Let me reverse it. If Mahrez were English, you think he would be slated  the way he is? Explain to me why he was not even rated in the top 5 of the starting XI by the overall FT ratings of last season, while the professional players of England gave him the ultimate distinction?

Why is it always you and a known number of posters who are always thrashing him and giving silly reps to each other. By the way, go read the past posts of the poster you're advocating for (see above), when it comes to Mahrez, it's vomittingly ugly.

It isn't ridiculous though is it? You made the ludicrous statement that Mahrez provided the 'best football gesture' of the game with a return pass to Fuchs, which is a clear indication to me that you are more than a little biased. Either that or you're trolling.

I never said or implied you were Algerian (nor do I care what nationality you or Mahrez or anyone else has for that matter), nor was I having a go at Algerians. All I tried to say was that had Mahrez pulled off that goal you'd be in here in a flash denigrating all his critics.

But to answer your questions, I think Mahrez would be criticised for indifferent performances if he was English, yes.

Mahrez had a storming first half of the season last season and he was shackled a lot more after Christmas, which made him less influential over the course of games which could have affected his ratings. Maybe that's unfair, but English football fans tend to rate combativity, energy and physical involvement highly (deal with it) and none of those are Mahrez hallmarks. To go as far as saying he isn't appreciated and even 'hated' is way, way OTT.

Other professional players do not see every game like Leicester fans or his teammates do. They see the MOTD highlights and experience him in the flesh in the games they have been involved in. Interestingly, you fail to mention Kanté being voted the POTY by Mahrez' own teammates and Mahrez winning the POTY for the club.

I haven't even posted that much in here. I think some of the criticism towards Mahrez has been fair, some has been OTT and I've generally commented pretty neutrally. But you have lashed back at every opportunity and not listened to any of it. In fact, have you even acknowledged yet that his form has dipped and that he is partly responsible for that too?

I wasn't commenting on the post that you replied to, I was commenting on your post. I did not read anything after the Liverpool game that was excessive or unfair regarding Mahrez and his performance... except your posts.

8 hours ago, the fox said:

Like English people here voting for gray as the second best player vs Sevilla or overhyping him because he has a little pace and shot on him but no end product. Is it really hard for you to believe that there are people out there that rate mahrez (I"m Algerian by the way)

BTW, mahrez scored a far better goal against man city and no Algerian did such thing as milking it.

I'm sorry, but you've misinterpreted my post. Maybe I should be less provocative. It was directed at MattCan only and not at Algerians in general.
MattCan and maybe you (?) erroneously equate criticism to not rating Mahrez. I absolutely acknowledge and rate his skill highly, his 'magic' so to speak, and accept that he gets less defensive responsibilities as a result.

Fact is, he hasn't produced much 'magic' this season, which I will also largely excuse due to the team in general playing poorly, but it's something he is responsible for too. Everyone can see he has amazing skill, his first touch is potentially the best in the league and he has proved he is a bag of tricks and has a brilliant eye for a pass, but his execution has let him down more often than not this season. Fans have been calling for nearly every key player from last season to be benched during the last few months, why should Mahrez be protected?

On Monday he was largely wasteful in possession with uncharacteristically bad passes and not creative with the ball at his feet. Even his give and go with Fuchs or his run to set up Drinkwater were simple and pretty average stuff by Mahrez' own standards. Those were the two telling moments in the opposition half that I remember, while he had a few neat touches and interplay around the halfway line. But time and again, his final touch or pass let him down and you could see his frustration with himself. I believe, if the team can keep up performances, that we will see more of the Mahrez that reached sky-high levels last year again.

Finally, if you are referring to Mahrez' goal last season, you miss the point I was making completely again. I wasn't alluding to Algerian Mahrez fans milking it in general, I was suggesting that MattCan would have had Mahrez scored that goal and not someone else.

The high press tactics will get their crucial test next saturday. Let's see how it works against a deep sitting team. It was already tough last season to go through even when the team was walking on water.

13 minutes ago, shen said:

It isn't ridiculous though is it? [...]

Tbh you're better off just ignoring MattCan, dude's a full on bandwagoner who wouldn't even still be here if he hadn't become addicted to claiming some imaginary moral high ground from which he seems to get kicks letting Leicester fans know how they should feel about a club they've been supporting since they were little.  Maybe he thinks that having recently got on board when the underdog story was in full swing and so not having any prior experience of the club he can bring some fresh perspective that we've all completely missed.  I don't know. In any case if you try engaging him in debate or letting him know that he's being unfair in his hyperbole he'll just call you a racist or a bully and generally do whatever it takes to avoid having to take a look at himself and the at times horrendously biased hyperbole he writes.  Let him get on with it, he'll get bored if he stops receiving attention.

18 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

he still made the 3rd goal he isnt a defender im annoyed how people keep banging on about mahrez as a defender

but as shown against pool even when he has a bad game he still makes chances

Okazaki isn't a defender, Vardy isn't a defender, Albrighton isn't a defender, but they still press high and run hard without necessarily flying into tackles. Even so, most fans accept Mahrez gets a free pass from these duties, because he needs to be ready when the ball gets to him and he can hurt opposition defences. When he doesn't do that a lot, it's only natural that people question if the attacking threat still outweighs the lack of defending, or whether someone else (like Gray, who has been a threat in recent weeks) offer more going forward right now.

I also wouldn't overstate Mahrez' role in the third goal. He didn't "make" it; that would be unfair on Albrighton's, Vardy's and Fuchs' roles in the goal.

8 hours ago, the fox said:

I've never championed Gray ahead of Mahrez, quite the contrary, but that doesn't change my view that you and others like you aren't really Leicester City fans. If the Algerian players left, you'd be gone too - like the Kaebi supporters of years past.

It's nothing personal. I'd doubtless be the same if my own kids played for some club in Algiers.

What gets me though is the sometimes strident championing of particular players for what I believe is other than football reasons. Players are entitled to be judged fairly whoever we personally prefer - as I said many times during the Kaebi fiasco.

Relating to the Liverpool game I saw Mahrez's contribution as effective. One assist/involvement with a goal and another that should have been. Gray made a lesser contribution.

Neither player was in any way outstanding and were it not for the material contributions I've mentioned Mahrez would have had a shocker, and not for the first time this season by any means.

So I can well understand the views of those who are less than impressed, especially considering the ability he's shown in the past.

How he'll react now Ranieri's gone remains to be seen but on the general form Mahrez has shown this season we'll be well rid of him. Not because he lacks talent but because he seems indifferent and as if his mind is elsewhere.

That doesn't impress me one bit. If I'd signed a contract with anyone I'd do my best even if I hated the boss and hated the club or company. I'd always try to do my best. Anything less is totally unacceptable to me.

If I've got a grievance I'll address the people concerned and in no uncertain terms when I reflect on it. But I'd never let any grievance compromise myself and the commitment made to give my all however effective or otherwise.

Only Mahrez can truthfully say whether he's done himself justice this season. I don't think so. He's not alone by any means, but that's beside the point. It's his performance under scrutiny in this thread.        

52 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

he still made the 3rd goal he isnt a defender im annoyed how people keep banging on about mahrez as a defender

but as shown against pool even when he has a bad game he still makes chances

When the opposition have the ball, everybody is a defender.

11 hours ago, shen said:

Dude, I hope you're wearing protective glasses when .....

1 hour ago, shen said:

It isn't ridiculous though is it? You made the ludicrous statement that  ..........

I'm sorry, but you've misinterpreted my post. Maybe I should be less provocative. It was directed at MattCan only and not at Algerians in general.

Finally, if you are referring to Mahrez' goal last season, you miss the point I was making completely again. I wasn't alluding to Algerian Mahrez fans milking it in general, I was suggesting that MattCan would have had Mahrez scored that goal and not someone else.

So, you started by targeting anyone who roots for any player with Algerian passport. I guess you meant Aliens, not Algerians.

Then, you spinned it conveniently and said it was only directed to MattCan when replying to an Algerian poster.

Then again, you went on some nonsensical statements about how MattCan would like to have Drinkwater goal scored by Mahrez (?) when it's only you who entirely made up this idea of me liking a goal and wishing it were Mahrez's (?!) . You make sand castles on your own to later destroy them. You made up a story in your mind to win an argument.

I stand by all my previous points.

Finally, with all due respect, I would like to not discuss football matters with you anymore if you don't mind. STOP.

Archived