Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
STUHILL

Can we continue to carry Mahrez?

Biggest issue for Mahrez right now is the attention he draws. He has been greatly reduced as a playmaker, it is impacting his confidence, and I agree with the OP that he looked tentative and even lazy at times. People can call you all the names they like, but facts are stubborn things. That said, Mahrez must continue to play because his gravity remains invaluable. If we keep him wide, it forces 2-3 defenders to take a couple extra steps and lean his direction, which really opens the defense to attack from elsewhere.

You do realise the opposition want Mahrez to defend - it's put him in a less threatening position for the counter attack.

This element is also a reason why Shinji and Albrighton get so much playing time rather than better technical players - they have both the workrate and common position sense to help negate the lack of defensive mind Mahrez has.

The other thing to realise is that if the fullback does creep forward on that side, there's suddenly space created for an outball. 

Mahrez positioning is by design, its a double bluff and Simpson as a solid defence fullback is a perfect foil for this tactic.

Wasn't at his best, the rest seemed to snap straight back into the old routine, but there was some good work from Riyad.

Up until today everyone seemed pretty agreed that half our team was ready for the knackers yard, which clearly isn't true. Riyad is a top player, and now we are creating chances, I'm backing him to re-ignite.

56 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

You do realise the opposition want Mahrez to defend - it's put him in a less threatening position for the counter attack.

This element is also a reason why Shinji and Albrighton get so much playing time rather than better technical players - they have both the workrate and common position sense to help negate the lack of defensive mind Mahrez has.

The other thing to realise is that if the fullback does creep forward on that side, there's suddenly space created for an outball. 

Mahrez positioning is by design, its a double bluff and Simpson as a solid defence fullback is a perfect foil for this tactic.

Good points.

Trouble is that there is too much emphasis on him defending all the time.

He is not a defender and he doesn't want to be a defender.

By the time he's gone back to defend and we get the ball back he is in his own half and then he's expected to get forward, run, dribble and pass, then by the time he's near the penalty box he's knackered and loses the ball.

He should be hovering around the last defender in space waiting for a ball from our midfield conserving his energy to do his magic in the last third and leaving the defending to players who are better at defending not wasting energy running up and down the whole length of the pitch.

That's what I think anyway.

1 hour ago, Dawko said:

Trouble is that there is too much emphasis on him defending all the time.

He is not a defender and he doesn't want to be a defender.

By the time he's gone back to defend and we get the ball back he is in his own half and then he's expected to get forward, run, dribble and pass, then by the time he's near the penalty box he's knackered and loses the ball.

He should be hovering around the last defender in space waiting for a ball from our midfield conserving his energy to do his magic in the last third and leaving the defending to players who are better at defending not wasting energy running up and down the whole length of the pitch.

That's what I think anyway.

I agree with this. We are asking him to do a job that a winger like Albrighton is much more suited to. He has much improved in his defending, however I was still a bit disappointed by him too easily being beaten or not tracking his man. Those things aren't a skill, just down to putting more effort in and remaining switched on. Could have easily cost us on another day and it was just so much more evident tonight, due to every other player busting a gut in their defensive duties.

I think a formation where we can take those defensive duties off him could help us become more solid at the back, and allow him to stay higher up the pitch and be able to focus more on attack. 

A 4-4-1-1 with him behind Vardy seems the best solution, although Okazaki did a good job there tonight to be fair. 

7 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Coulda had a pen if he'd gone down after skinning their defender.

He's capable of brilliance.

You can't have a team full of Albrightons, just as much as you can't have a team full of Mahrezes.

Which would you rather? Just out of interest. I think I'd prefer a team full of Mahrezes because you could sell a few and buy a few Albrighton's to balance them out.  But assuming they are all worth the same value, I think a team full of Albrightons would be more effective, but a team full of Mahrezes would be a joy to watch.

3 hours ago, STUHILL said:

I agree with this. We are asking him to do a job that a winger like Albrighton is much more suited to. He has much improved in his defending, however I was still a bit disappointed by him too easily being beaten or not tracking his man. Those things aren't a skill, just down to putting more effort in and remaining switched on. Could have easily cost us on another day and it was just so much more evident tonight, due to every other player busting a gut in their defensive duties.

I think a formation where we can take those defensive duties off him could help us become more solid at the back, and allow him to stay higher up the pitch and be able to focus more on attack. 

A 4-4-1-1 with him behind Vardy seems the best solution, although Okazaki did a good job there tonight to be fair. 

Dawko made a very good point.

If he put the effort on defending, he loses the lucidity in the offensive phase. Pulling the strings and getting rid of a defender requires full concentration.  The guy who just ran about 100 meter back and forth will have less energy and concentration to pull out something than the the guy who just ran 50 meter.

He looked happier at full time than I have seen him this season 

his family were up in a box and his wife was cheering him on, clutching his daughter. 

he seemed to get by passed last night more than I noticed in previous games - looked like Liverpool targeted his side to attack with an overload. Shakey kept changing him and Marc around to help negate this.

Our 3rd goal wouldn't have happened without his amazing passing to Fuchs.

Also in the format we were playing he creates so much space because Liverpool and other sides have to stick two players on him.

What I will say though he used to be first name on the team sheet there is now at least four ahead of him for me at the moment, he does need to step up.

8 hours ago, STUHILL said:

It's a tough position for him, in a 4-4-2 as he is expected to work hard in defence as well as attack. I think he is much more comfortable left up the pitch and without defensive duties.

I also agree with those saying it is harsh to ask a player of his build and skill set to defend, I just think watching everyone work so hard, highlighted that he could and should have worked harder at staying with his man or reacting to danger better tonight. Didn't cost us tonight, but could do over the next 12 games.

Definitely agree he wasn't the magician last night, but I think he looked better than he has for a long time.

I'm just a bit confused when you say about the 4-4-2 system, I know you're a much more intelligent poster than many, so you don't need me to point out that's what he did last season, so I'm obviously missing some context of your point.

Mahrez was the only player who didn't impress me last night. I was really impressed by Albrighton, Okazaki, Fuchs and Simpson, who were all miles better than they have been most of the season. Vardy was his awesome old self. Ndidi was a revelation. Drinkwater much better. Even Huth and Morgan looked alright.

I can't help thinking that Mahrez has his eye on a summer transfer. If he doesn't improve soon, I'd like to see Gray take his place, as I think he deserves a run in the first team to show what he can do.

44 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

He couldn't moan at being dropped. I'd play grey against hull but can't see a winning team being changed.

Don't see the logic of that at all. Grey's a work in progress and that was abundantly clear last night. What Grey has now achieved is to be an accepted part of the first team group and the trust in him as a alternative weapon is growing.

Last night he made one wonderful run but he didn't have the strength or raw pace to break completely clear, didn't have the immediate support with his team-mates flagging and eventually slipped and fell like a racehorse in sight of the winning line.

Not gret by any means but he did what he'd principally been brought on to which was releive the pressure when he could and add a bit of much-needed energy to our midfield covering at a time when Liverpool were dominating possession.

Mahrez by that time had already set up one goal and nearly a second which is what a winger is mostly about... creating and scoring goals. Grey did fine but one look at the record shows there's no comparing the danger they each pose.        

Archived