Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
STUHILL

Can we continue to carry Mahrez?

Footballs a funny old game and reading peoples views on Mahrez last night proves that. Some of you are defending him on here like he was the mutts nuts last night and others appear to be slagging him off like he put in a Yakubu at Coventry, type of performance.

The simple fact is that he is way off on the standards he set himself last season, as are the rest of the team. Last night however, he showed glimpses of what he can do going forward. As people have rightly pointed out, the pass to Drinkwater and the run to get onto the end of Vardys cross, which led to the goal being two examples. His defensive decision making has always left a lot to be desired, yet suddenly it appears to be a shock to some of you.

Like a lot of the team he is low on confidence. He pretty much admitted in a recent interview that he and the team thrive on confidence and this season there has been a lack of it. Personally I'd have taken him off as soon as we went 3 up, which would have allowed Gray on to help us see the game out.

Just now, broughtonblue said:

Thanks I did

Just enlighten me to his other outstanding contributions last night then please. I'm sure it will stand me in good stead the next time he goes missing

Aside from employing at least two players of the opposing team full time? Already explained it to you in my previous posts.

I belong to the ones who would bench him afor a game or two give him a kick in the arse and fully recognize that it wasn't his greatest game. But calling him a "waste of space" and denying him any contribution to yesterday's victory is either bad faith or an abysmal lack of football knowledge.

1 minute ago, ZeGuy said:

Aside from employing at least two players of the opposing team full time? Already explained it to you in my previous posts.

I belong to the ones who would bench him afor a game or two give him a kick in the arse and fully recognize that it wasn't his greatest game. But calling him a "waste of space" and denying him any contribution to yesterday's victory is either bad faith or an abysmal lack of football knowledge.

Well at least we both agree he shouldn't be on the pitch!! Pretty much what I've been saying as last night he was totally in effective apart from the two passes people have pointed out.

Had his moments but he is clearly lacking in self-belief at the minute and that is probably the thing that is going to stop him going to the very top of the game, seems a little fragile mentally. A few more team performances like last night and I'm sure his confidence will return, there were a couple of times last night where he spotted the runs but couldn't get the pass right, not far away from being brilliant but final ball letting him down.

He is probably the most easily affected by a lack of confidence than any other player ...    I thought he was shot but although he dicked around last night and added the square root of fvck all defensively, he did enough for me to keep a bit of faith in him.   If we are returning to basics don't forget he was a part of that team ...   just keep him away from penalties ...   :)

Lets stay up, get this season out the way, then have a long hard look at all the players .... 

They have all been abysmal all year.

Like Vardy I believe he's a confidence player. We continue to play like last night and it will come.

No one in our side can kill a cross field ball like he can or has his ability which is why two or three people are right on him the moment he gets the ball. Granted he needs to probably lay the ball off after beating the first one or two. :chant:

He's never been defensive which is why Danny Simpson doesn't bomb forward. Don't expect him to to suddenly find the ability to defend.

10 hours ago, Brakey said:

You lot are clueless he's a marked man now and been playing in a shit team so far this year let's be honest. When does anyone really expect to judge him on his defensive duties. Next you'll be judgin Huth on attacking down the left and right wing. 

Its now down to the team to get him in the game.

Also note Liverpool got two men near him all the time which creates us space else where, get off his back. 

Great post Mr Mahrez 

if mahrez was in a team with quality players throughout he wouldnt need to look behind, let alone defend.

we play a formation which needs him to defend plus we have a limited right back behind him (not a dig at simpson - i fcukin love him!)

when he has 2/3 men on him our players should exploit the space created.

Mahrez has done enough for us to be allowed a few games to play himself into form. If the team can put in that kind of performance I think it will follow. He has had a bad few months with our form and getting knocked out of the AFCON. I think his confidence may take longer to return. His touch is still there.

real madrid carry ronaldo, barcelona carry messi. i don't think i've ever seen ronaldo track back.

of course mahrez is no way near their level, but at leicester he is the main man. we needs to carry him because all he needs is one moment of magic and its a goal.

12 hours ago, STUHILL said:

Maybe a controversial topic to post after such a good win, but I think watching the team work so hard tonight has only highlighted the lack of work Mahrez does in defence and in a 4-4-2, it is pretty essential. 

He seems to half heartedly track back and even when in position, he will allow players to easily beat him and not track runners, so a 1-2 pass easily gets in behind as he won't follow his man.

There were a few situations tonight I saw Simpson marking a player back post and an opposition player would then enter the box behind, and Mahrez would simply watch and not see the danger or see it and just not respond,

I know he doesn't have the defensive abilities of a winger like Albrighton, but that doesn't excuse not tracking a man or marking someone. That's just effort, not ability.

We allowed it last year, partly due to Kante but also because he was so important to us in attack as well. Even tonight though, he didn't contribute much in attack and I was hoping Gray would come on for him. He has become so predictable with his cut inside on his left. He does still have moments of magic in him, but I think most would agree, that Gray does too and looks far more capable of producing them at the moment. 

If we are sticking with a 4-4-2, I would start Albrighton on the right, and try Gray on the left. I think Gray works harder in defence and at the moment, offers more in attack too.

He has to be dropped. 

Last nights win was despite him being in the side, to the extent he was Liverpool's best player -continually losing the ball.

The times for sentiment are gone now as we have seen, and Shakey needs to make the decision to start Gray instead.

There was a massive up turn in form and effort in 9 of the 10 outfield players but nothing from Mahrez.

He looks totally 'gone' to me in terms of confidence - well everything - he's looking now like the French League 2 player he once was.

A break may help...you never know.

3 hours ago, Thracian said:

Don't see the logic of that at all. Grey's a work in progress and that was abundantly clear last night. What Grey has now achieved is to be an accepted part of the first team group and the trust in him as a alternative weapon is growing.

Last night he made one wonderful run but he didn't have the strength or raw pace to break completely clear, didn't have the immediate support with his team-mates flagging and eventually slipped and fell like a racehorse in sight of the winning line.

Not gret by any means but he did what he'd principally been brought on to which was releive the pressure when he could and add a bit of much-needed energy to our midfield covering at a time when Liverpool were dominating possession.

Mahrez by that time had already set up one goal and nearly a second which is what a winger is mostly about... creating and scoring goals. Grey did fine but one look at the record shows there's no comparing the danger they each pose.        

I'm not sure which goal you think Mahrez set up last night? 

Do do you mean his 'set up' (2yd pass) to Fuchs to cross for the 3rd goal? 

10 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

If you really mean it, I think you should just stop watching Football.

I've only read the OP, but i was saying last night we need to hook him. He offers nothing defensively and currently almost nothing going forward this season. Last season was different, he was unplayable at times, and defensively we had Kante to cover his shortcomings. Right now I'd bench him and have Gray instead. He'll be off in the summer anyway, so why not start to formulate a side for next season and get Gray in his happy place! 

13 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Okay I missed the word "helped" out which I used in a previous comment but that entire move was brilliantly contrived from a tight situation and Mahrez played a a significant part with a pass that took out the defenders and made left Fushs in the space to do his damage. As for other views that Gray is somehow capable of taking Mahrez's place at this stage, it's wishful thinking. Let the lad evolve. He's doing alright without feeding him full of premature misconceptions.     

17 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I was being sarcastic about Mahrez being credited with creating a goal last night. 

He actually did. Fuchs might have made an inch-perfect cross nothing would have been possible without his previous link up play with Mahrez.

Some people watch a game and half of its beauty just flies over their head.

Fans: "Hey mahrez, you should help Simpson on defense even though you are lightweight and the playmaking load is on your shoulders"

Fans: "hey Simpson, its OK, don't help him on offense. Just let him run the full right side of the pitch by himself because you can't really overlap"

Mahrez: IMG_20170218_193801.jpg.3371fdaf72aa3c3dde6ae68809b6b91d.jpg.8301f23e62b5634faf2d045add100893.jpg

Hypocrisy at it's finest!

Archived