Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
STUHILL

Can we continue to carry Mahrez?

Just now, ZeGuy said:

Lol, he was actually laid back and still PFA at  the highest level.

Agreed but there was that element of surprise to him last season.

Teams have sussed him out now. Doubling up on him defensively and take advantage going forward down that side due to him not tracking his runner.

Great players have to adapt their game

Fair pointw imo re mahrez. He has the occasional moment of brilliance but too fleeting. Also seems reluctant to take players on (confidence most likely). I would start him and swap for gray midway second half as the team can't carry both of them

Just now, TK95 said:

Agreed but there was that element of surprise to him last season.

Teams have sussed him out now. Doubling up on him defensively and take advantage going forward down that side due to him not tracking his runner.

Great players have to adapt their game

Absolutely. I'm for benching him against Hull and let him come at 60 min or so. He needs to clear his head. He was the only player I wasn't really satisfied with. Not because he didn't back track (he actually did. A lot more than peole want to recognize, but his role is more to block the direct pass or shot lines than actually winning the ball) but because of what he produced upfront. I sincerely hope he'll rise his game soon. He's a joy to watch when he's fully confident.

I've been one of his biggest critics for weeks now but he did appear to try quite a bit harder tonight. He did however appear to be completely knackered about 10 minutes into the second half and was blowing big style. This I could perhaps accept if he'd put the effort in of Albrighton, Okazaki or Vardy but he hadn't, not even 50%! A few weeks ago he seemed to be blowing after 25 minutes of the first half, he appears woefully unfit for a Premiership footballer. Perhaps if he actually turned up at training on time and worked harder he'd be the better for it. Needs benching and given a bollocking, lazy twat!

It's a tough position for him, in a 4-4-2 as he is expected to work hard in defence as well as attack. I think he is much more comfortable left up the pitch and without defensive duties.

I also agree with those saying it is harsh to ask a player of his build and skill set to defend, I just think watching everyone work so hard, highlighted that he could and should have worked harder at staying with his man or reacting to danger better tonight. Didn't cost us tonight, but could do over the next 12 games.

3 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

It's a tough position for him, in a 4-4-2 as he is expected to work hard in defence as well as attack. I think he is much more comfortable left up the pitch and without defensive duties.

I also agree with those saying it is harsh to ask a player of his build and skill set to defend, I just think watching everyone work so hard, highlighted that he could and should have worked harder at staying with his man or reacting to danger better tonight. Didn't cost us tonight, but could do over the next 12 games.

Whilst I understand that your saying there are other players of his build that probably work on their strength and conditioning to improve themselves.  He's not even fit. If he has any ambitions of eventually going to a big club like Barcelona they won't accept a player who can only play one half.

Bloke plays a significant role in the goal that all but sealed the match and someone suggests he's a passenger! The thing about Mahrez is he's a threat. Every time he got the ball he drew three men towards him. Yes, I thought he could have released the ball more and quicker but the threat he posed still helped provide space and fewer markers for others to contend with.

And not only did he have a hand in one goal but it should have been two because Drinky should have buried his second chance with ease. Mahrez teed it up and Drinkwater only had to get over the ball, keep his head down and guide it into the left-hand corner. That would have been two assists and his job more or less done to perfection.

He tried to make a contribution defensively too and even won a header which I wish I'd got on video because it's not something I expect to see again. But basically he's far too lightweight and easily shrugged off the ball to be more than nuisance value defensively which is why we needed the likes of Albrighton and Shinji supplementing our two main midfielders. Two can't really cope on their own and it's been the same most of the season.

So congratulations too to Shakespeare who fielded a team with just the right balance to bring out our strengths and minimise our weaknesses. Happy days.       . 

3 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Whilst I understand that your saying there are other players of his build that probably work on their strength and conditioning to improve themselves.  He's not even fit. If he has any ambitions of eventually going to a big club like Barcelona they won't accept a player who can only play one half.

You 're having fun in this thread, aren't you?  Let me spoil it for you a bit. He will go to a big club and they will love him, not like you.

You lot are clueless he's a marked man now and been playing in a shit team so far this year let's be honest. When does anyone really expect to judge him on his defensive duties. Next you'll be judgin Huth on attacking down the left and right wing. 

Its now down to the team to get him in the game.

Also note Liverpool got two men near him all the time which creates us space else where, get off his back. 

3 minutes ago, MattCan said:

You 're having fun in this thread, aren't you?  Let me spoil it for you a bit. He will go to a big club and they will love him, not like you.

Yes you're absolutely right, he will do, but he won't be allowed to behave as he does here because he'll be told to come up to standard or sit on the bench, as big teams have options of other players to play. The fact that he's allowed to here is sad and has been part of the problem. It's also sad because he's one hell of a talent.

Teams still soil themselves when he gets the ball. He offers more than we realise because of that. He does need to knuckle down and think about when to play though. Some amateur decisions tonight. He does still have the best first touch in the league by a million miles though. 

Gets the attention of 3 defenders when he's get the ball, he's will come good, just like Vardy! 

There has be thread like like this about him too, can't see many tonight.

For once lets enjoy the win, it's a squad game and they will all be need before the end of the season! 

First half he was rather poor but after the second goal for the first time in months I saw last season's Mahrez. It's like every single one of them turned up! He was a bit inconsistent tracking back as usual but in the second half I thought he was quite helpful defending (at least judging by his usual standards, he's never going to plunge for every ball like Albrighton or Drinky did today). I think he should play better now, let's give him couple games. Also if the rest of the team will play with this intensity, we could afford to carry one sleeper... When he wakes up they'll never know what hit them

30 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I understand that in Gray I think we get a player who is offering more in attack right now and also works harder in defence. 

Starting Gray also means we can have Albrighton on the right, which I think is his best position. 

I thought we were great tonight. I just saw some warning signs when Mahrez didn't track his man or didn't spot or react to potential danger. 

Fair enough mate, but it was clear that Mahrez was playing to orders and being really out wide spread their back four / midfield for the first hour. Less stress on our midfield, which made it easier for the back four, who excelled tonight for the majority of the game. 

Plus when Mahrez got the ball he had two / three players on him, which also caused extra space for our other players. 

I accept that Mahrez isn't the greatest tackler, but to me he holds his defensive position better than Grey when we are defending. 

Archived