Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
themightyfin

Time to name Shakes permanent manager?

20 minutes ago, Babylon said:

That was a one off, there is a good reason that teams like our don't threaten the top ends of the table very often and if they do it's for nothing more than a season or two. As a one off, or a short period of a couple of years yes it's possible. But it's not possible to "establish" yourself there long term without investment befitting a team in that area of the table.

Whoever the manager is, our owners are willing to spend money. They will give us long term investment.

You are also over estimating the top 7. Bar Chelsea & Tottenham, they are overrated. Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City are inconsistent & Man Utd/Everton are average. Currently our squad is not that far behind top 7.

Yes these teams will invest in the summer, but so will we. 4/5 signings in the summer & with no European distractions we should be challenging them. In the long term, our ambitious owners will continue to spend money to try and establish ourselves.

Personally, with Shakespeare in charge I'll feel more confident in regards to challenging the top 7 & player investment. We could get a new manager in who wants to play a different style, bring in his own players & change our entire philosophy. Yes it could all work out, but it could just as easily backfire. Shakespeare is a safe option.

2 hours ago, MattP said:

I don't understand how anyone couldn't want him.

He's guided us to safety with games to spare, only lost away to quality sides and kept us in a match against Atletico with incredible tactical changes.

He has passed the test with flying colours and if he got shafted for a big name it would be quite tragic.

Exactly.

People turning their noses up and saying things like "I'm not convinced" when he's got us a points to game ratio that would see us end the season on around 80 had he been given a full season.

Frankly, we've been utterly excellent since he came in.

5 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

Whoever the manager is, our owners are willing to spend money. They will give us long term investment.

You don't know what they are willing to spend, they are also limited with FFP rules. Once the boost from the CL money and last seasons finish wears off, we'll be investing no more than someone like Saints or West Brom. That's just a financial reality.

5 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

You are also over estimating the top 7. Bar Chelsea & Tottenham, they are overrated. Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City are inconsistent & Man Utd/Everton are average. Currently our squad is not that far behind top 7.

I'm sorry, but you're absolutely deluded if you think our squad is anything close to most of those teams. The only one you could possibly argue for would be Everton, not a chance on the others. It's a fact that the league is generally dictated by what people spend on wages, you get a few wild swings now and again, but that's about it... they are short term.

9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You don't know what they are willing to spend, they are also limited with FFP rules. Once the boost from the CL money and last seasons finish wears off, we'll be investing no more than someone like Saints or West Brom. That's just a financial reality.

I'm sorry, but you're absolutely deluded if you think our squad is anything close to most of those teams. The only one you could possibly argue for would be Everton, not a chance on the others. It's a fact that the league is generally dictated by what people spend on wages, you get a few wild swings now and again, but that's about it... they are short term.

Ok maybe not squad, but our starting 11 is still very good. We should be building on top of the core group of players we have.

4/5 transfer windows we've had since being in the PL have been successful which shows we can spend wisely within our limits and still compete.

My only worry is that taking over a club where you're already known, respected and know the players etc is totally different to having a whole summer of having to buy your own players and somewhat start again. Shakespeare has done superb and I'm well pleased with how he's turned us around but the tough bit starts once the season is over (if he gets the job).

Would be a big mistake.

Don't say you weren't warned about negative, Pearson-esque performances where we sit back, nullify our own attacking strengths and wait for something to happen.

4 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Would be a big mistake.

Don't say you weren't warned about negative, Pearson-esque performances where we sit back, nullify our own attacking strengths and wait for something to happen.

It's pretty boring when people bring up Pearson to discredit him, what he's having us do is not much different to what Ranieri asked us to do... you know, when we won the league. Yet people constantly bring up Pearson.

Just now, dayday said:

Surely if he was to be the manager then it would have been done and dusted by now.

Why? There is no rush, the owners are doing absolutely the right thing and seeing who is about whilst monitoring what's happening under CS. For all we know they might be waiting until we are safe to ask him to lay out his vision for us... if they aren't impressed then they could go elsewhere.

I think he should stay. He's earned the right to get the job permanently in my opinion. Technically, he is a fantastic coach and I like it that he gets on with the players. I also have the feeling he doesn't take shit if they give him any. 

In terms of planning for the future, who says he doesn't have a list? Look at the "who do you want thread" in the Transfers forum, if a load of amateurs can make suggestions, then I'm sure Shakey can too. Only thing is that he'll have a day to day view, know the game plan and attributes he wants, and tell the technical analysis team (who he has publicly spoken highly of) to find them for further review. Whether we can sign them is another story, but I've not doubt he's not already forming his game plan. 

My one (small) reservation is the other levels of coaching. I don't think he would look to replace the old boys network and overhaul the youth and U23s set up with progressive talent. However, who's to say another new manager would do that? Klopp is the only one I can think of doing that. 

Keep him for sure. 

We're assuming that he wants the job. Hasn't he said all along in interviews that he'll wait until the end of the season and make a decision after some sort of self evaluation?

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Everytime I read your posts, I start to realise, your nearly as Clever  and wise as me.....:D

Hahh yes grasshopper, its a wise hound that understands its not the chase that catches the fox,

but.........

Big risk to appoint anyone else. Most "big names" of the type the owners might approve would want to play "proper football". I'm convinced our current style, whilst not always pretty, gives us much more bang for our buck, hence the title winning season.

Changing from this style to try to become more possession based would require massive investment to compete with top 7 teams, and would simply not be done. That means that we'd end up something like Bournemouth, trying to play in a superior style but without the quality to do so effectively.

I'd much prefer that we keep our style but try to do it better.

Appoint Shakey and see how he does.

1 minute ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Big risk to appoint anyone else. Most "big names" of the type the owners might approve would want to play "proper football". I'm convinced our current style, whilst not always pretty, gives us much more bang for our buck, hence the title winning season.

Changing from this style to try to become more possession based would require massive investment to compete with top 7 teams, and would simply not be done. That means that we'd end up something like Bournemouth, trying to play in a superior style but without the quality to do so effectively.

I'd much prefer that we keep our style but try to do it better.

Appoint Shakey and see how he does.

Agree, what is wrong with the identity we have already forged for ourselves? We just need to add technical qualities into our 'round peg round hole' structure.

Shakey is the man to do this for me.

2 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

Would be a big mistake.

These past two matches have not been inspiring.

He needs to turn it around against Watford.

12 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Jeez, bit harsh.

A narrow 1-0 defeat away at arsenal and a gritty determined 1-0 win away at Albion and you're seriously suggesting he has to 'turn it around' 

lol .

Delusions of grandeur or something??

46 minutes ago, truebluethroughandthrough said:

Jeez, bit harsh.

A narrow 1-0 defeat away at arsenal and a gritty determined 1-0 win away at Albion and you're seriously suggesting he has to 'turn it around' 

lol .

Delusions of grandeur or something??

Haha. I'm worried about our shots on target more than anything. The was a honeymoon period suddenly halted after Athletico at the KP. Then a week later that game against a tired Arsenal was painful to watch with our main chances created after Shinji came on. And in the match after we only managed one shot on target and Shinji was instrumental there too. I do think Shakey needs to do better in the post-honeymoon period to be assured of the job. I'm rooting for him but you can't see our last two as ringing commendations. If we beat another mid table team who've nothing much to play for on Saturday fairly convincingly, and again against Bournemouth, it'll probably be enough.

Done good with results but I really can't make my mind up. If we sack him in 18 months he'll be gone after being here 9 seasons and knows the club inside out, on the other hand if we don't give him it Sunderland or someone could coming calling. Very tricky decision. Also we all know what the owners are like is he a big enough name and can he attract players?

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

Have you forgotten that we were dead and buried, sleep walking into the championship until CS took over?

He already has turned it around!

4 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

Would be a big mistake.

In a period of six years Pearson gave us 2 promotions, 2 play off spots and a 14th placed finish in the Premier League. What exactly is so bad about his style of play and tactics?

The reason we struggled so badly in 14/15 was because it was Pearson's first ever season managing in the top flight. Pearson has always adapted and evolved evert year. To be heavily critical of him for the 14/15 season is harsh especially considering we finished above Villa and Newcastle, two experienced PL clubs. 

If Shakespeare gets the job though I need him to stop starting every sentence with "Again". 

He's been here 2 months and it already gets on my tits lol

Archived