Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

London-Paris business and tourism partnerships announced

4 hours ago

From the sectionLondon

Image copyrightAURELIEN MEUNIER

Image captionMayor of Paris Anne Hidalgo and Sadiq Khan, the mayor of London, announce the Paris-London Business Welcome Program

The mayors of London and Paris have announced joint tourism and business schemes, a day before the UK's formal exit from the EU is triggered.

A business unit is to be set up in the city hall promotional agency, London and Partners, and its French counterpart Paris&Co.

A joint tourism scheme is due to be launched next year, City Hall said.

Mayor Sadiq Khan said "two of the world's greatest cities" had "so much to gain from joining forces".

Prime Minister Theresa May is to trigger Article 50 on Wednesday - beginning formal negotiations on Brexit.

Speaking at the launch, Mayor of Paris Anne Hidalgo said: "Paris and London share common values and willpower."

The "Paris-London Business Welcome Program" will be run by a "small dedicated team" aiming to "encourage and facilitate the flow of trade and investment between the two cities", a spokesman said.

Image copyrightLONDON AND PARTNERS

Image captionThe 2018 tourism agreement will focus on key drivers for international visitors to both cities, such as culture and heritage, say City Hall

London receives more inward investment from Paris than any other global city, having attracted £2.6bn that has generated almost 10,000 jobs in the last 10 years, according to City Hall.

Paris, in comparison, is the largest European destination for foreign direct investment from London, with more than 160 London-based companies set up in the city since 2006, creating 7,500 jobs.

And, according to figures released by the partnership, tourists spend in excess of £30bn and support up to 1.2m jobs in both London and Paris.

A London and Partners spokesman told the BBC it was hoped similar schemes would be rolled out "to other European and world cities".

23 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Its very quiet in here on the day article 50 is triggered!

A decent letter I thought, if a little repetitive.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39431070

Staying away from the clusterfvck until everyone calms down. Going to be plenty of over reactions in the following days. No point rehashing the same debates. 

That being said, overall very happy to see this pass without the unnecessary shackeling of the remainers. Hopefully the start of a bright future. 

Just now, Innovindil said:

Staying away from the clusterfvck until everyone calms down. Going to be plenty of over reactions in the following days. No point rehashing the same debates. 

That being said, overall very happy to see this pass without the unnecessary shackeling of the remainers. Hopefully the start of a bright future. 

Yeah, sod people wanting proper scrutiny of possibly the biggest decision this country will ever make before they plough ahead with it eh?

Just now, Voll Blau said:

Yeah, sod people wanting proper scrutiny of possibly the biggest decision this country will ever make before they plough ahead with it eh?

Its all just common sense at the moment, nothing there to scrutinize really.  

2 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Shackelling or Shelacking?

In one way you're correct. In the other not so much

I wish I could get excited or even just slightly interested in all the Brexit/Article 50 stuff - but I can't.

I'm sure it's all very important, but stuff has a habit of eventually all working itself out, and I'm sure they'll be ups and downs, winners and losers along the way.

When all is said and done, I'll just continue to play the hand I'm dealt as always. In the mean time, I'm not going to lose any sleep or get stressed about something I've got absolutely no control over.

I trust the PM with all this stuff. She's growing on me week by week and I wasn't sure about her to start with. I'm starting to quite like her actually which is a bit weird I know...

17 minutes ago, Emilio Lestavez said:

Shackelling or Shelacking?

In one way you're correct. In the other not so much

The one that means to have your hands tied. Shackeling is my phones auto correct, going to have to google it now to find out what I've been posting all this time. lol

5 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I wish I could get excited or even just slightly interested in all the Brexit/Article 50 stuff - but I can't.

I'm sure it's all very important, but stuff has a habit of eventually all working itself out, and I'm sure they'll be ups and downs, winners and losers along the way.

When all is said and done, I'll just continue to play the hand I'm dealt as always. In the mean time, I'm not going to lose any sleep or get stressed about something I've got absolutely no control over.

I trust the PM with all this stuff. She's growing on me week by week and I wasn't sure about her to start with. I'm starting to quite like her actually which is a bit weird I know...

I said that when we joined and when it was subsequently strengthened but like then we plebs have little or no influence anyway.  Even voting for a like minded MP has little impact on anything they are spread across the various political parties.

23 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Exhibit "a" in trying to dodge the clusterfvck lol

If you think guaranteeing the rights of eu workers before negotiations is "scrutiny" then I feel bad for you. 

If you think Gina Miller's court case was about "scrutiny" and not finding a way to overturn the decision then I feel really bad for you. 

They have been told they will get a vote on the final outcome, scrutiny comes then. 

Last post in here for a bit, like I said, rehashing the same debates, waste of everyone's time. 

2 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Exhibit "a" in trying to dodge the clusterfvck lol

If you think guaranteeing the rights of eu workers before negotiations is "scrutiny" then I feel bad for you. 

If you think Gina Miller's court case was about "scrutiny" and not finding a way to overturn the decision then I feel really bad for you. 

They have been told they will get a vote on the final outcome, scrutiny comes then. 

Last post in here for a bit, like I said, rehashing the same debates, waste of everyone's time. 

Don't think I mentioned either of those specific examples, but never mind. If you can't see why people still feel pretty nervous about what deal we're actually going to get out of it, and whether it was all worth it, then I feel bad for you.

I suppose it'll all be worth it as long as we get state-sanctioned killing, different coloured passports, legalised child assault and strawb'ries-by-the-pound back though...

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/politics/leave-voters-support-reintroduction-of-death-penalty-caning-and-traditional-incandescent-light-bulbs/

I'm just wondering what the country will be called if Scotland and eventually Northern Ireland leave?

"The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" wouldn't really be feasible any more.

How about "the Divided Kingdom of Lesser Britain and Northern Ireland"?

Then that could be shortened to "the Divided Kingdom of Lesser Britain" if the Northern Irish bugger off too.

"The DK" has a ring to it, as we Don't Know what we're doing...

:whistle:

Pleased that the process and negotiations can now begin and looking forwards to finding out what we can secure. I still think we will come away with a free trade agreement, because it's in the best interest of all of us. I don't see any reasons why citizens rights will be negatively affected. The exit bill will be interesting, the EU are very keen for that to be agreed asap. 

Are we now able to discuss free trade deals with other countries or do we need to wait until we have formally left the EU?

3 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'm just wondering what the country will be called if Scotland and eventually Northern Ireland leave?

"The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" wouldn't really be feasible any more.

How about "the Divided Kingdom of Lesser Britain and Northern Ireland"?

Then that could be shortened to "the Divided Kingdom of Lesser Britain" if the Northern Irish bugger off too.

"The DK" has a ring to it, as we Don't Know what we're doing...

:whistle:

It will be called England and the sheepshaggers.

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

It will be called England and the sheepshaggers.

Sounds like a band. I'm imagining something like The Wonder Stuff for some reason.

Most experts seem to think that it will take longer than 2 years to negotiate a new trade deal with the EU....but what do experts know?

As for negotiating trade deals with non-EU countries, my understanding is that there can be no formal negotiations or signing of deals until we've left, though informal discussions are permitted and are probably already taking place....but the terms are unlikely to be decided until the Brexit deal is implemented as other countries will want to know where we stand vis-a-vis trade with the EU. Presumably it could take much longer than 2 years to do such deals if the EU trade deal takes longer than the 2-year Brexit divorce. Most trade deals do take longer than 2 years, anyway, though I'm sure Brexit folk will expect us to manage it quicker.

Archived