Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Ben Gibson - Interest

Just now, st albans fox said:

But we aren't going to drop both Morgan and huth which means he won't get guaranteed game time which will happen on the south coast 

Aren't we?

If we sign Maguire and Gibson they will almost certainly be our first choice IMO.

Just now, st albans fox said:

But we aren't going to drop both Morgan and huth which means he won't get guaranteed game time which will happen on the south coast 

How do you know that though? Maguire came in and looks the part. Huth will struggle to get back in unless someone drops out of form. Gibson could break into this team no problem. Huth and Morgan have their qualities but sooner or later they will need replacing.

4 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

How do you know that though? Maguire came in and looks the part. Huth will struggle to get back in unless someone drops out of form. Gibson could break into this team no problem. Huth and Morgan have their qualities but sooner or later they will need replacing.

I don't disagree - however, I just don't believe we would drop both of them on a consistent basis 

It takes time for a back 4 to work together, throwing 2 young centre backs together is a recipe for disaster (albeit a small chance it pays off) .. As said, Gibson will want to go straight into the 1st team where he goes to which we would be insane to offer looking at our opening fixtures.

3 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

Sooner rather than later imo. Neither of them will be any better than last season, and they both struggled in many games.

A lot of it is improving the side when you get the opportunity.

Maguire and especially Gibson are quite highly rated. They are both obtainable because they would be championship players this season and Gibson really needs to move for the sake of his career.

If we can get two exciting young players to replace players well into their thirties who aren't our most vital players then we should try and take that opportunity. Once the season kicks off and our centre back hierarchy is established then maybe we sell one of Morgan or Huth in January?

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Why?

Morgan is finished but he's starting the season because we have no-one else with Huth out. Huth is still good but it's not going to last. Gibson and Maguire could easily be the starting partnership by Christmas, let alone March.

1 hour ago, shramik said:

He's only going to go where he's guaranteed first team football with a world cup next year. Are we realistically able to offer him that with Maguire coming in as well, or the risk the fact that we throw two young players in at the deep end to keep everyone happy?

Two young players with PL experience versus two older players that are 'now' prone to injury issues and not the quickest and most mobile on the block. Also their distribution is not great with numerous incomplete headers and passes.

1 minute ago, mozartfox said:

Two young players with PL experience versus two older players that are 'now' prone to injury issues and not the quickest and most mobile on the block. Also their distribution is not great with numerous incomplete headers and passes.

The sum total of that experience was relegation..  it would be great to get both, it would be madness to expect them to both fit together from day one, which they both will want to do with the world cup next year.

4 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

This exactly. Gerriminn

Some people on here would keep playing Huth & Morgan even when 80 and rolling about in wheelchairs eating liquid dinners. 

We need to update at the back. We were absolutely woeful in that dept. last season and they are suited to a single style of play, something that it looks like we're starting to move on from.

Splendid to have them about as back-up and tutors for the new lads but we're not pulling up any further PL trees with these two at the back.

22 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Or 2 defenders who were relegated against 2 who won the prem a year ago

17 minutes ago, daz*dsb said:

Some people on here would keep playing Huth & Morgan even when 80 and rolling about in wheelchairs eating liquid dinners. 

We need to update at the back. We were absolutely woeful in that dept. last season and they are suited to a single style of play, something that it looks like we're starting to move on from.

Splendid to have them about as back-up and tutors for the new lads but we're not pulling up any further PL trees with these two at the back.

It's not about having Huth and Morgan play forever though, it's about how you change the backline, without getting battered in the process. 

As I said before it would be great to have both Maguire and Gibson here, but throwing them in together at the deep end is a bad idea, coupled with the fact that they'll both be eyeing up a world cup spot they'll both want to play, which we can't offer from the outset. 

19 minutes ago, shramik said:

The sum total of that experience was relegation..  it would be great to get both, it would be madness to expect them to both fit together from day one, which they both will want to do with the world cup next year.

Hardly madness.

We'd be replacing two of our older lesser players in the first XI for two highly rated up and coming players. 

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

Hardly madness.

We'd be replacing two of our older lesser players in the first XI for two highly rated up and coming players. 

Dude, this isn't fifa, you can't just get 2 defenders with good stats to play together.. it takes time to build a partnership and understand how the other plays.. i wouldn't want our defence exposed to that considering our first 10 games..

5 minutes ago, shramik said:

Dude, this isn't fifa, you can't just get 2 defenders with good stats to play together.. it takes time to build a partnership and understand how the other plays.. i wouldn't want our defence exposed to that considering our first 10 games..

Thanks for telling me it's not FIFA. :rolleyes:

Whilst you accuse me of thinking it's a computer game I'll tell you to stop relying on cliches that putting two new centre halves in a team doesn't mean the team will fall apart for the first ten games.

6 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Thanks for telling me it's not FIFA. :rolleyes:

Whilst you accuse me of thinking it's a computer game I'll tell you to stop relying on cliches that putting two new centre halves in a team doesn't mean the team will fall apart for the first ten games.

they won't fall apart, they'll just leak a ton of goals..

Archived