Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Ben Gibson - Interest

18 minutes ago, Edingleyfox said:

Totally agree we need another CB.I am wondering if the club has to sell someone before bringing another player in and with the Mahrez saga unresolved perhaps that is why we have hesitated.Although there has been talk of Gibson only joining a top 6 club I think we would have a decent chance of signing him certainly ahead of West Brom.

Maybe we should put a bid in for him and see what reaction we get. West Brom are the only club that has made a bid for him. I might be wrong on that though 

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

If Amartey was considered an option at CB for real he'd have had chances last year instead of forcing Fuchs in there or calling back Benny or even loaning Wague. 

We're also clearly not going to give Johnson a serious chance of a first team place. 

Come on man, that's stretching reality by miles. 

I just don't see us buying another centre half, it'll be Huth, Morgan and Maguire with either Benalouane if he stays or Amartey or Johnson used in extreme emergencies. It annoys me Amartey is seen as Simpson's competition at right back. It's not good enough in the top level of English football to not deem it important enough to get someone in push Simpson. 

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I just don't see us buying another centre half, it'll be Huth, Morgan and Maguire with either Benalouane if he stays or Amartey or Johnson used in extreme emergencies. It annoys me Amartey is seen as Simpson's competition at right back. It's not good enough in the top level of English football to not deem it important enough to get someone in push Simpson. 

I don't disagree I just don't see us using Amartey or Johnson. 

Pushing Simpson is nonsense as well. We should be upgrading him critically. Having a modern right back that can't actually handle being in possession is a joke. 

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Pushing Simpson is nonsense as well. We should be upgrading him critically. Having a modern right back that can't actually handle being in possession is a joke. 

He's improved in possession over the past 12-18 months. He was also one of the very few players (2 I'd say) to push on performance wise from the title winning season.

Sure, he's no Walker or Clyne, but he's a better defender than both of them, and the best defender at the club.

Simmo also has to play with Mahrez "protecting" him!

He'll do me for a while yet.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I agree on Simpson, he's solid and has done well for us when we were devastatingly good on the counter attack. But now it's evidently clear we need support from over lapping full backs to stand any chance in being a bit more of a threat, he's nowhere near the level we need. 

He's slotted Amartey in at CB a few times now during pre-season and then let Johnson play in his natural position at CB when he came on last night, I'm not saying it'll happen as its a shot in the dark but I think Shakespeare is content with his backup options as we've seen him use Fuchs and even Simpson in a back three as well. 

Personally, big changes are needed at the back. Id be fcuking Morgan and a couple of others off and getting a long term partner for Maguire and a new RB. I'm still having Fuchs over Chilwell, as the jury is out on him as to whether he'll ever be good enough at defending to play left back. If not, he's also be binned.

2 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

He's improved in possession over the past 12-18 months. He was also one of the very few players (2 I'd say) to push on performance wise from the title winning season.

Sure, he's no Walker or Clyne, but he's a better defender than both of them, and the best defender at the club.

Simmo also has to play with Mahrez "protecting" him!

He'll do me for a while yet.

Spot on.

some folk don't seem to understand Simmo is the most exposed defender in our system and 

It rarely shows.

Christ we need him or someone like him, someone who can not just play CB but who is comfortable bringing the ball out, the Germans are just bracketing our MFs and daring our backs to pass, and we are obviously struggling. Must have at least two, prefer 3 with a 4-man backline. Chilwell should come in for Fuchs 2H.

Gibson will leave very late in the window, I'm sure of it. He must know that the only chance he has of making it to the WC next summer is to move to the Prem. I think 25m plus some ad ons will get it done at the right time. We sign this guy and Thorgan Hazard and we will be solid to exceptional in all areas except right back. We may have to wait for the right player to become available to get a more attacking RB to push Simpson. 

On 02/08/2017 at 09:43, Ric Flair said:

Amartey and Darnell Johnson will compete for a centre back role, it's at right back we need a proper backup for Simpson, it's astounding that Ranieri and now Shakespeare don't see this as a priority. Our only real alternative is 3-4-1-2 with Albrighton as a RWB, which I'd not be opposed to but you'd think if that was going to be an option we'd have worked on it more in this farcical pre-season.

Shakey has been playing Amartey purely as RB. for some reason he doesn't see him at CB. Went with Fuchs over him last season even with all the injuries!

For me the fact that Gibson is available means I want him at Leicester. Players of that caliber do not come on the market that often & when they do we need to grab them. We could have England's starting CB partnership playing for us for years to come. Tell me, how cool would that be ???

we need a left sided centre back, if its true Gibson is available then it makes sense to attempt to buy him, or Smalling. 2 centre backs who were in the last England squad and are rumoured to be available

5 minutes ago, dpjfox said:

we need a left sided centre back, if its true Gibson is available then it makes sense to attempt to buy him, or Smalling. 2 centre backs who were in the last England squad and are rumoured to be available

I would be very happy with either one as well

Gibson needs a move to stay relevant as far as England are concerned. No way he's going to be considered by Southgate playing against the likes of Burton, Barnsley and Preston.

4 hours ago, Johnthefoxrayner said:

IMO it's time to put a bid in for one of these players, it would make  sense. 

I'd bid for both.

Archived