Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Ben Gibson - Interest

37 minutes ago, shramik said:

It's not about having Huth and Morgan play forever though, it's about how you change the backline, without getting battered in the process. 

As I said before it would be great to have both Maguire and Gibson here, but throwing them in together at the deep end is a bad idea, coupled with the fact that they'll both be eyeing up a world cup spot they'll both want to play, which we can't offer from the outset. 

This is right I think, though there is also the team chemistry issue. I am on record as saying we desperately need another CB who can bring the ball out. Absolute necessity. And Gibson fits the bill. But we also have to be conscious of fracturing the culture the team has developed. Wes and Huth are part of the backbone of this team, as are Kasper, Vardy, Albrighton, and Drinkwater. We need to be mindful of continuity, possibly even at the expense of goals allowed. We need to maintain the culture, and part of that is slowly integrating new players, exposing them to our standards for workrate, making sure they are properly accepted and become a real part of the team. It sounds really touchy-feely, but the chemistry on this team is real. Look at how Claudio f'd it up royally, dropping players who had won the title for new recruits, treating people like fungible widgits. The whole of the team was greater than the sum of its parts, Claudio fractured the whole by treating it like a Man City or Chelsea, where players overcome chemistry issues with sheer talent, and he demoralized the team. Shakey restored the whole, he showed appreciation and respect for what they had accomplished in the form of his starting line-ups, focused on team-building on break, and consequently the team was revitalized and responded. Dropping both Huth and Morgan bc some young CB wants to make the England squad will damage the trust between the players. On a team like this, you replace 2-3 older players gradually per season if necessary (replacing departing players is wholly different).

So if that is what Gibson must have, then we have to pass I think. If he came, he would *likely* be playing with Maguire by February quite regularly, but I don't think Shakey wants players who *expect* or *demand* first-team football as a condition of a transfer. 

Which is not to say that is what Gibson has done. It is all speculation. But it explains why we haven't moved for him, just like we didn't move for Gaston Ramirez. Some players only fit on paper, and Shakey has a no bad apples policy from the look of it, with how he dealt with Mahrez and Benny recently. 

1 hour ago, Claridge said:

Or 2 defenders who were relegated against 2 who won the prem a year ago

I get it.  These 2 guys were solely responsible for Hull and Boro going down????? 

Stick with Morgan and Huth and watch the car crash happen.

15 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

I get it.  These 2 guys were solely responsible for Hull and Boro going down????? 

Stick with Morgan and Huth and watch the car crash happen.

No one is saying stick with Morgan and Huth, we've already signed Maguire who will probably take one role. 

I would assume Gibson wants first team football, if we want to give him that we either drop Maguire or Huth/Morgan. The safest option is the former but I'd assume he's probably expecting first team football, so convince Gibson won't be so easy.

5 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

Surely this "takes time to build a partnership" is a non-point. 

Morgan/Huth with Maguire is just as new a partnership as Gibson and Maguire would be, save for a few pre season games. 

Its the understanding with the defensive unit (fullbacks and keeper) that would suffer not just the understanding with the CB pairing.

I think if we buy a CB, it'll be someone who will be willing to rotate.  I know not essential, but Mags also seems to be comfortable at LCB, so would he slide over if Gibbo joined?  Might be a Jan deal maybe if we need someone, and Boro are not doing too well. 

1 hour ago, HoustonFox said:

I think if we buy a CB, it'll be someone who will be willing to rotate.  I know not essential, but Mags also seems to be comfortable at LCB, so would he slide over if Gibbo joined?  Might be a Jan deal maybe if we need someone, and Boro are not doing too well. 

Exactly my thought. If he's still with Borough in Jan (a risk, I admit) then we can reassess our situation with respect to Huth & Morgan's form & fitness.  If they are beginning to fade then we would be able to give Gibson a better guarantee of first team football. At the same time, he would be getting desperate for the move by then, and his contract would have petered out a little bit more (lowering his value).

Morgan is becoming a liability, who knows how long Huth will be out, another CB could be the difference between 12th and 8/7th position. Any one of Smalling, Gibson, Sakho, or Jones would be perfect.

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Unless we lose some players, we can forget Gibson or anyone else. The squad is ready to burst at the minute.

Nail on head. We had a smaller squad and probably more tight knit squad when we won the title. Something Pearson advocated and surely Shakey will see coming from a coaching background. Even when Ranieri came in first season we didn't add many players. Without European football our squad is way too big at the moment and it will be hard to keep that team spirit and all in it together mentality that won us the league. 

The problem is the players we would ideally move on nobody seems interested in. And the worry is those that don't get a look in will damage the dressing room spirit. It's natural.

36 minutes ago, desertfox2 said:

Nail on head. We had a smaller squad and probably more tight knit squad when we won the title. Something Pearson advocated and surely Shakey will see coming from a coaching background. Even when Ranieri came in first season we didn't add many players. Without European football our squad is way too big at the moment and it will be hard to keep that team spirit and all in it together mentality that won us the league. 

The problem is the players we would ideally move on nobody seems interested in. And the worry is those that don't get a look in will damage the dressing room spirit. It's natural.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's given everyone a clean slate to impress pre season, hence nobody going and people like Lawrence getting time. I'm sure we'll see a lot of people move, even if just on loan towards the end of the window.

2 hours ago, sylofox said:

I've been told we are 100% not in this race. However we are after an Italian CB no name as yet.

Hope he's from Roma

2 hours ago, lcfcnsk said:

Acerbi recently signed a new five year deal, it could be Ranocchia who did well with Maguire at hull last season 

Of course, Ranocchia is at Inter. IF they do come in with a (decent) bid for Mahrez, we could be considering Ranocchia as part of the deal; but as Worhthington said, he wasn't entirely successful at Hull.

10 hours ago, chapero82 said:

Wague I bet 

Can see this being another perfect storm. Wague turns out to be the bargain of the season.

We activate Ngolo's buy back clause next summer after we win the league. He accepts because he wants to be reunited with his old Caen pal Wague.

Mahrez, Kante, Wague (& Knockaert :ph34r:) will become one big happy family.

Archived