Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Ben Gibson - Interest

2 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

Will end up costing the owners more than £30m if we go down. 

The way prices are going 30 mil may be cheap this time next year. Better to spend big on younger players and have resale value later on.

They've got quite a strong core to be considered as automatic promotion favourites.

Hence can imagine, despite any strong offers that could come in, them doing their utmost to ensure that he wants to stay.

2 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

They've got quite a strong core to be considered as automatic promotion favourites.

Hence can imagine, despite any strong offers that could come in, them doing their utmost to ensure that he wants to stay.

They'll also be loaded from previous promotion and parachute payments from relegation. They've already spent about £30mill. I doubt they'll want to sell one of their best players, it's not as if they need it.

Just now, Fox92 said:

They'll also be loaded from previous promotion and parachute payments from relegation. They've already spent about £30mill. I doubt they'll want to sell one of their best players, it's not as if they need it.

I'm sure Hull were in the same position but they have.

Players don't want to play in the championship if they can play in the prem. If Middlesboro miss promotion he will become a forgotten player.

Just now, FIF said:

I'm sure Hull were in the same position but they have.

Players don't want to play in the championship if they can play in the prem. If Middlesboro miss promotion he will become a forgotten player.

Also agree. 

With Shakespeare's strong words on Benalouane, it's looking like CB is a priority. He doesn't like him at all otherwise he wouldn't have gone in hard in the interview with Stringer.

This is surely Morgan's last season aswell so let's get this wrapped up and pay what's needed.

8 minutes ago, EnglishOxide said:

With Shakespeare's strong words on Benalouane, it's looking like CB is a priority. He doesn't like him at all otherwise he wouldn't have gone in hard in the interview with Stringer.

This is surely Morgan's last season aswell so let's get this wrapped up and pay what's needed.

Benny was never going to be premier league quality; poor decision maker !

Neither Morgan or Huth, good as they have been for us will not last too much longer.

Yes we need to sign another CB and Gibson fits the bill nicely.

We do need a centre half for me. Not totally convinced by Morgan as a starter these days, Benalouane is a liability and Huth's out for a while. Maguire looks a super signing but beyond that we are weak here. Gibson would be a perfect fit, him on the left, Maguire on the right. That's a pairing we could have for years.

24 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

We do need a centre half for me. Not totally convinced by Morgan as a starter these days, Benalouane is a liability and Huth's out for a while. Maguire looks a super signing but beyond that we are weak here. Gibson would be a perfect fit, him on the left, Maguire on the right. That's a pairing we could have for years.

I can't help but agree with you

we are weak in defence, an injury or suspension and we will be found out again

To repeat what I've been saying for a season now.

2CBs (we've now got 1), an RB and starting Chilwell are necessities.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

To repeat what I've been saying for a season now.

2CBs (we've now got 1), an RB and starting Chilwell are necessities.

We definately need another CB and an RB and a creative midfielder (assuming also we get Itchy Nackers) and that would be a good transfer window, if we don't I fear we won't be strong enough this season

Amartey and Darnell Johnson will compete for a centre back role, it's at right back we need a proper backup for Simpson, it's astounding that Ranieri and now Shakespeare don't see this as a priority. Our only real alternative is 3-4-1-2 with Albrighton as a RWB, which I'd not be opposed to but you'd think if that was going to be an option we'd have worked on it more in this farcical pre-season.

The media was right to rave about Maguire, he looks quality. Gibson has had similar media praise but has also been called up be England. Could be a great defensive partnership imo. Maguire has tended to drift to the left side but if Gibson by his side no need. Last night proved we need defenders who can pass to the midfielders not like in the first half when Wes and Benny just hoofed over a 3 man midfield.

13 minutes ago, dpjfox said:

The media was right to rave about Maguire, he looks quality. Gibson has had similar media praise but has also been called up be England. Could be a great defensive partnership imo. Maguire has tended to drift to the left side but if Gibson by his side no need. Last night proved we need defenders who can pass to the midfielders not like in the first half when Wes and Benny just hoofed over a 3 man midfield.

I agree. I think we need to splash the cash and sign another top centre back, perhaps Gibson. Maguire looks superb on the ball, I hope he is equally adept at the uglier side of his role.

4 minutes ago, dpjfox said:

I agree, i like the sound of a Maguire & Gibson partnership. I'd imagine that people would be skeptical at first as it would be a young partnership with not a great amount of premier league experience but in this case if it was my choice i would take the gamble, worst case scenario is it doesn't work and we have wes/huth to cover whilst we build the partnership up. 

48 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Amartey and Darnell Johnson will compete for a centre back role, it's at right back we need a proper backup for Simpson, it's astounding that Ranieri and now Shakespeare don't see this as a priority. Our only real alternative is 3-4-1-2 with Albrighton as a RWB, which I'd not be opposed to but you'd think if that was going to be an option we'd have worked on it more in this farcical pre-season.

I agree with you Ric (I think that's a few times now !), Right Back is a priority.  Seeing Amartey getting roasted there by Lloyd Dyer at Burton last night, was the clincher for me.  He did well at Centre Back for the full game against MK Dons (and obviously at the African Nations), but he has never shown any aptitude as a Right Back.  I'd have him as the main reserve Centre Back - don't spend any money on anyone else for that position (at least this August) and spend some of the cash earmarked for that, on a decent back up for Simpson.

26 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If Amartey was considered an option at CB for real he'd have had chances last year instead of forcing Fuchs in there or calling back Benny or even loaning Wague. 

We're also clearly not going to give Johnson a serious chance of a first team place. 

Come on man, that's stretching reality by miles. 

16 minutes ago, bald reynard said:

I agree with you Ric (I think that's a few times now !), Right Back is a priority.  Seeing Amartey getting roasted there by Lloyd Dyer at Burton last night, was the clincher for me.  He did OK at Centre Back against MK Dons (and obviously at the African Nations), but he has never shown any aptitude as a Right Back.  I'd have him as the main reserve Centre Back - don't spend any money on anyone else for that position (at least this August) and spend some of the cash earmarked for that, on a decent back up for Simpson.

People forget, we've already spent a fair amount of money on another Centre Back this summer - Sam Hughes from Chester.  Now I know he's meant for the U21 Squad, but he's got loads more experience at a decent level (Conference) than the likes of Darnell Johnson.  Surely he will be another reserve Centre Back - and if he shows promise for the U21's (in competitions like the Checkatrade), he'll soon be popping up on the First team Subs list.

5 minutes ago, bald reynard said:

People forget, we've already spent a sizeable amount of money on another Centre Back this summer - Sam Hughes from Chester.  Now I know he's meant for the U21 Squad, but he's got loads more experience at a decent level than the likes of Darnell Johnson.  Surely he will be another reserve Centre Back - and if he shows promise for the U21's (in competitions like the Checkatrade), he'll soon be popping up on the First team Subs list.

I thought we would have involved him in the first team this pre-season. 

Totally agree we need another CB.I am wondering if the club has to sell someone before bringing another player in and with the Mahrez saga unresolved perhaps that is why we have hesitated.Although there has been talk of Gibson only joining a top 6 club I think we would have a decent chance of signing him certainly ahead of West Brom.

Archived