Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Harry - LCFC

General Election, June 8th

3 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

Well im just sick of the bbc right wing bias showing up Labour in such a bad light all the time.

Classic Thracian. Using the BBC as a reputable source when it suits his agenda but at all other times it's some kind of left wing propaganda machine where people have too much freedom to spout their political views and isn't to be trusted.

Just now, Rincewind said:

Are any of those good reasons to support her.

Only if you have some kind of authoritarian fetish, which some clearly do on here.

1 hour ago, Emilio Lestavez said:

Classic Thracian. Using the BBC as a reputable source when it suits his agenda but at all other times it's some kind of left wing propaganda machine where people have too much freedom to spout their political views and isn't to be trusted.

When you read this headline, look at the last paragraph and then at the extent of online trade you see quite clearly how the BBC chooses to bias its view. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39664537

http://news.sky.com/story/uk-households-are-biggest-online-spenders-report-10844661

7 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Hammond suggested the pledge to not rise taxes maybe broken.....If that's the case I'm changing my vote to Labour

Hammond is looking at this election as an opportunity to get rid of the frilly Jenkinism that Cameron and Gideon imposed on him in the last election imo

53 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-3966521

Illiberal Undemocrats fill the coffers. Should cover the bus travel of the old biddies that comprise their campaign force to get to one of their old seats in Cornwall. Just don't spend it in Brighton because Tim Farron will hide in the confession box for a week.

What's illiberal about the Lib Dems, out of interest? 

I'm pretty neutral when it comes to politics and am not a Corbyn supporter by any means.  But I cannot for the life of me see why people think that Theresa May would be a strong leader and Corbyn a weak one.

Considering the shit Corbyn gets from the press and the backstabbing he gets from his own party, I think it shows incredible strength and resolve to not just **** it off.  

May on the other hand has gone back on what she's said several times, seems to be hiding away from debates, censoring where she can anyone who wants to ask her anything and during PMQ's, rarely answers anything.  This is what's deemed strong leadership?

Personally looking at how they want to handle the EU exit (and I voted leave by the way), I cant think of a worse case scenario than a Tory landslide victory.

Keith Vaz confirms he will seek re-election in Leicester East

By danjmartin  |  Posted: April 21, 2017

image: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276308/Article/images/30284724/15965969-large.jpg

All standing again

Keith Vaz has confirmed he intends to defend his Leicester East seat in the upcoming General Election.

The Labour veteran, who has represented the constituency since 1987, has an 18,352 majority to defend.

Mr Vaz said: "Theresa May was right to call a General Election. It is important any Prime Minister has a mandate from the British people before they begin the Brexit negotiations with the EU.

"But this is not just about Brexit, it is about the vision of what kind of country we want to live in.

"This is an opportunity for the political parties to set out clearly how Britain will change for the better. I believe the Labour Party has the answer."

His opponents for the seat have yet to be confirmed.

Read more: How Leicestershire MPs reacted to General Election announcement

Mr Vaz's announcement follows confirmation that Labour colleagues Leicester South's Jon Ashworth and Leicester West's Liz Kendall are hoping to be re-adopted as candidates.

Mr Ashworth's majority from 2015 is 17,845 and Ms Kendall won by 7,203 votes.

All of the county's seven Tory MPs have indicated they will stand again. The process of re-adoption is set to be a formality. All of the seats are considered to be relatively safe.

Pro-Brexit North West Leicestershire Conservative Andrew Bridgen will defend an 11,373 majority. Pro-Brexit Liberal Democrat Micheal Wyatt was selected to face him in the event of a snap election.

David Tredinnick will fight his eighth election campaign in Bosworth, where he has an 11,000 majority.

He will face Liberal Democrat prospective parliamentary candidate Michael Mullaney.

image: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276308/binaries/Mullaney.jpg

Lib Dem Michael Mullaney

South Leicestershire Conservative Alberto Costa and Charnwood's Ed Argar will both defend their seats for the first time having entered parliament in 2015.

They have majorities of 16,824 and 16,931 respectively.

Harborough Conservative Sir Edward Garnier won a 19,632 majority four years ago. Liberal Democrat Zuffar Haq has confirmed he will stand again in the constituency.

image: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276308/binaries/Zuffar.jpg

LId Dem Zuffar Haq

Labour's candidate in 2015, Sundip Meghani, came second but has confirmed he will not fight the seat again.

Leicestershire County Council elections 2017: Click HERE for everything you need to know

Sir Alan Duncan holds the biggest majority in Leicestershire – 21,705 – in Rutland and Melton and Loughborough MP Nicky Morgan has the slimmest at just over 9,000.

Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/keith-vaz-confirms-he-will-seek-re-election-in-leicester-east/story-30284724-detail/story.html#XuBZm71hj16wAZqZ.99

7 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Someone who has control of every police force, border force and MI5 has a lot more power than the people who run the treasury and the foreign office.

Unless the person from the treasury stops paying the police. I know home secretary is a big job but the Chancellor is considered the next biggest after PM. Foreign secretary is debatable.

34 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

I'm pretty neutral when it comes to politics and am not a Corbyn supporter by any means.  But I cannot for the life of me see why people think that Theresa May would be a strong leader and Corbyn a weak one.

Considering the shit Corbyn gets from the press and the backstabbing he gets from his own party, I think it shows incredible strength and resolve to not just **** it off.  

May on the other hand has gone back on what she's said several times, seems to be hiding away from debates, censoring where she can anyone who wants to ask her anything and during PMQ's, rarely answers anything.  This is what's deemed strong leadership?

Personally looking at how they want to handle the EU exit (and I voted leave by the way), I cant think of a worse case scenario than a Tory landslide victory.

Surely a strong leader wouldn't get backstabbing from his own party?

As an outsider with nothing to lose or gain, im interested in what makes people vote the way they do?

obvoiusly many wont want to say which way they are going to vote, but if you are happy to share.

What a the three reasons you will vote for who you will .......and what are the three reasons you wont vote for the other major parties?

1 minute ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Thatcher?

She'd been PM for 13 years first. Corbyn hadn't been Labour leader for a week before his own supporters were plotting against him.

1 hour ago, Thracian said:

When you read this headline, look at the last paragraph and then at the extent of online trade you see quite clearly how the BBC chooses to bias its view. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39664537

http://news.sky.com/story/uk-households-are-biggest-online-spenders-report-10844661

Conveniently missed this Sky story then

http://news.sky.com/story/retail-sales-plunge-blamed-on-widespread-price-rises-10844749

Anyway, the dropping retail sales will include those online figures. So there's an overall drop across the board, but within that we have increased our online spending, but obviously it's drop significantly in other areas that gives an overall drop. I'd say the BBC reported it pretty well, whilst Sky showed it as two separate stories, making the online part seem more relevant than it actually is given spending overall is dropping.

I think it will be interesting to see if there's any effect with regards to Theresa May saying there will be no cut to foreign aid, but Phillip Hammond seemingly not ruling out increases in income tax, NI, or VAT. To give him some credit, whilst he didn't expressly say that getting rid of Cameron's 2015 pledge is a guarantee, his comment that the government needs "flexibility" certainly goes some way to suggesting that pledge might be modified or even done away with.

I think given the hostile feeling towards the level of foreign aid we already commit (Ukip will once again have a field day with this I imagine), if a large majority of the public feel that we are prioritising (in their eyes) overseas aid, yet raising the costs for British citizens, this could become a real issue for the Tories. Hammond's track record is not exactly great, but even I can't imagine him to make such a statement confirming that the 2015 pledge will be removed before the election takes place.

Whether or not Corbyn, Farron and Sturgeon will either a) seize on it or b) be able to offer any effective response in holding the Tories to account, I don't know, but I think this really could have the potential to be a thorn in the side for May. On the other hand, maybe issues such as Brexit are much higher up on voters' agendas, and this may not carry as much concern. It'll be interesting to watch.

39 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

The leader gets the heeby-jeebies about the thought of two willies touching.

Fair enough, just reading up I didn't realise that Farron potentially has some backward views on homosexuality, though he has spoken out in favour of LGBT rights and voted in favour of gay marriage in more recent times. The party as a whole is pretty liberal though, in my view. 

On foreign aid, I like the idea in principle, and I'm glad the commitment is being adhered to. Are there practical reasons why it's a bad idea, ie that the money is mismanaged or detrimental to those it goes to, or is it just opposed by those who wish to prioritise domestic spending? 

3 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

On foreign aid, I like the idea in principle, and I'm glad the commitment is being adhered to. Are there practical reasons why it's a bad idea, ie that the money is mismanaged or detrimental to those it goes to, or is it just opposed by those who wish to prioritise domestic spending? 

It's basically a non-issue really every country does it. It just another way for barmy UKIP knuckledraggers to rage against brown people.

Archived