Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brisfox

on current form

57 minutes ago, sm1 said:

Apart from the top 2 the rest of the league has been pretty poor. I think if we played to our potential,  like we have after Shakey took over, we could easily be in the top 4 and looking forward to CL football again. A missed opportunity really as Utd and City are going to spend massively in the summer, the likes of we've never seen before.

Agree with you. Chelsea and Spurs are the only consistently good teams in the league. Spurs are unlucky as they've been consistently good for two seasons now but won't win anything. Our recent form has been impressive as we have been consistent in many of our games. Next season we have fewer games to play and if we can keep our star players will basically be able to play the same team that won the league with the Ndidi for Kante switch instead. That team as we have all seen is a threat, even if they are all a little older. Even if we lost Kapser and Riyad (the two most likely to leave), we would probably be OK. Kasper is absolutely immense and losing him might be the difference between 5-10 points a season, but not being in the Champions League means we might not need him as much as we did this year. Riyad has been off the boil this year and we've still been OK, so even if sign no-one, we should still be competitive.

3 hours ago, Wookie said:

We've been a bit fortunate in recent games, our shots on target numbers:

0-1 vs WBA (A): 1 

1-0 vs Arsenal (A): 3

2-2 vs Palace (A): 2

4-2 vs Everton (A): 4

That's a huge over performance which is really unsustainable, we'll have to improve significantly if we are to finish higher up the table next season.

But you're being selective and not mentioning the different situations that existed when Shakespeare teams scored plenty of goals when he first took over as manager.

Those times when we scored two or three goals a game came before we were playing games every three days including travelling abroad for Champions League games against quality teams and dealing with the considerable problems of injuries to key players and the incontestable tiredness of others.

Shakespeare has had to change his team and tactics accordingly and generally speaking he's done that wonderfully with most of our fans readily acknowledging the difficulties and adapting their expectations accordingly and particularly in relation to the Everton game which many of our more realisitc fans viewed and said out loud, was almost as a sacrifice. ..

Shakespeare took over with our team under-performing dramatically and our club in such dire danger of being relegated some of us had to virtually plead with our owners to take action before it was too late.

The consequences of Ranieri's departure was as dramatic an improvement as I dared to imagine in terms of results, performances, collective team and individual effort. organisation, understanding of what was required and in the number of positive comments coming from all quarters of the club.

Essentially Shakespeare's remit was to avoid relegation. Basically that meant winning football games and the points that go with them in whatever way he could.

He's done that consistently and in some style at times. At other times he's done it through the strength and effect of his tactical organisation, sometimes with the players available rather than the players he would necessarily have chosen to use if he had the chance.

For me his hauling us up to 11th in the table and overseeing our exceptional efforts against out last two Champions League opponents has been a thrilling and altogether encouraging bonus.

As has the emergence of Benalouane as a genuine first team contender, the return of Ulloa and the suggestion that we have a happy camp again and can start looking forward to the future with optimism instead of trepidation.      .

.        .        . 

3 minutes ago, Thracian said:

But you're being selective and not mentioning the different situations that existed when Shakespeare teams scored plenty of goals when he first took over as manager.

Those times when we scored two or three goals a game came before we were playing games every three days including travelling abroad for Champions League games against quality teams and dealing with the considerable problems of injuries to key players and the incontestable tiredness of others.

Shakespeare has had to change his team and tactics accordingly and generally speaking he's done that wonderfully with most of our fans readily acknowledging the difficulties and adapting their expectations accordingly and particularly in relation to the Everton game which many of our more realisitc fans viewed and said out loud, was almost as a sacrifice. ..

Shakespeare took over with our team under-performing dramatically and our club in such dire danger of being relegated some of us had to virtually plead with our owners to take action before it was too late.

The consequences of Ranieri's departure was as dramatic an improvement as I dared to imagine in terms of results, performances, collective team and individual effort. organisation, understanding of what was required and in the number of positive comments coming from all quarters of the club.

Essentially Shakespeare's remit was to avoid relegation. Basically that meant winning football games and the points that go with them in whatever way he could.

He's done that consistently and in some style at times. At other times he's done it through the strength and effect of his tactical organisation, sometimes with the players available rather than the players he would necessarily have chosen to use if he had the chance.

For me his hauling us up to 11th in the table and overseeing our exceptional efforts against out last two Champions League opponents has been a thrilling and altogether encouraging bonus.

As has the emergence of Benalouane as a genuine first team contender, the return of Ulloa and the suggestion that we have a happy camp again and can start looking forward to the future with optimism instead of trepidation.      .

.        .        . 

They're our most recent games, I'm not being selective. I want Shakey to get the job but we've been fortunate recently irrespective of the circumstances, a conversion rate of 50% of shots on target is ridiculous and unsustainable, the league average is 15.6%. Ordinarily we don't get a result at Palace or West Brom based on those figures.

5 hours ago, sm1 said:

Apart from the top 2 the rest of the league has been pretty poor. I think if we played to our potential,  like we have after Shakey took over, we could easily be in the top 4 and looking forward to CL football again. A missed opportunity really as Utd and City are going to spend massively in the summer, the likes of we've never seen before.

Generally agree apart from the last bit.

Man Utd bought in a new manager, spent £146 million on 3 players, got one of the best strikers in the world (purely in terms of goal scoring record) and are still 5th.

3 hours ago, Alex_LCFC said:

Is there any mathematical cha ce we could make europa league. Say teams win fa cup but are in top 4 and Utd win europa league and then qualify for champions league 

I think seventh place could get a European place, if Arsenal win the FA cup and United having already won the league cup. But we ain't making up 18 points.

14 hours ago, Mease said:

Southampton away was the worst for giving 3 points away no coherent structure to tactics. That one was the last straw for me.

Oh god, looking back it makes you realise what a disaster that game was, worst performance and tactics since we've returned to the prem imo

I think sadly some of us are deluding ourselves. CL appearances aside (and not all of those Porto and Sevilla away), we have been poor all season concerning the standard of football. The Liverpool and Man City home games were (positive) blips.

Look how Spurs ripped Arsenal a new one yesterday compared to our battling but highly limited in skill and ambition 1-0 defeat midweek reverse. We will need the injection of 3 or 4 class players in key positions to get top four.

Yes, Shakey probably deserves his chance next season, but the last few PL games have seen us revert to a great extent to our early season timidity. Not being down on us, and I hope we get a top half even 8th place finish, but a reality check is needed. 

3 hours ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

I think sadly some of us are deluding ourselves. CL appearances aside (and not all of those Porto and Sevilla away), we have been poor all season concerning the standard of football. The Liverpool and Man City home games were (positive) blips.

Look how Spurs ripped Arsenal a new one yesterday compared to our battling but highly limited in skill and ambition 1-0 defeat midweek reverse. We will need the injection of 3 or 4 class players in key positions to get top four.

Yes, Shakey probably deserves his chance next season, but the last few PL games have seen us revert to a great extent to our early season timidity. Not being down on us, and I hope we get a top half even 8th place finish, but a reality check is needed. 

I understand the balance you are bringing, we definitely need an injection of class.

I will try and bring similar balance and an alternative perspective.

I was asked what I would consider a good season and replied qualification from CL group and top 10. Seems we are close to going beyond that I have to say that means we have done well if you take away the drama of our poor start and CR leaving. It's hard to come down from last season as a benchmark and we do not have a squad for league and Europe. Our football granted has not been great but I refer back to the squad we are not geared up for multiple fronts and some in our squad look mentality and physically worn after all that has gone on this season.

A good rest, add quality to the squad, secure players and managers early, a 'proper' pre season, no Europe, and NO dramas and why not be 8 wins better off, that puts us in Champions League looking at the current table (maybe a draw too)

This is my reality anyway ?

There is too much pressure and expectation building on Shaky 

id be delighted with two good cup runs and 10th place 

stability for next season

And signings that work !

then kick on 

4 hours ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

You mean the spuds side hoping to win the league? When we really have fvck all to play for.

That same spuds side that looked just as good last season that won feck all.

The same Leicester side that at times towards the end of last season had to grind out 1-0 or 0-1 wins.

But like the baggies game we ground out results and wins. But the great spuds side played pretty football to get draws and losses to come third.

Results like this weekends are what keep you up or win the league not 4-0 wins at home in august.

Do you think spuds fans would not of ripped our hands off last season for some of our 1-0 wins.

Chelseas the season before turned in them games and Ferrgie was a master at it ask Keegan.

Just now, sylofox said:

You mean the spuds side hoping to win the league? When we really have fvck all to play for.

That same spuds side that looked just as good last season that won feck all.

The same Leicester side that at times towards the end of last season had to grind out 1-0 or 0-1 wins.

But like the baggies game we ground out results and wins. But the great spuds side played pretty football to get draws and losses to come third.

Results like this weekends are what keep you up or win the league not 4-0 wins at home in august.

Do you think spuds fans would not of ripped our hands off last season for some of our 1-0 wins.

Chelseas the season before turned in them games and Ferrgie was a master at it ask Keegan.

We have (had hopefully!) something to play for, namely staying up, and we lost at Arsenal, albeit through an unlucky deflection, playing a very cautious defensive style. This current Arsenal are not what they were. Had we played the sort of hi-tempo pressing game I think we would have come away with the win. 

We are not talking about last season either, bit of a red herring. We are on about the here and now and what we do and where we go from here. I think we should not deceive ourselves that we could easily be top 6 etc, which some think. We lack class in key positions to be that despite last season's unforgettable achievement. 

6 hours ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Spurs are better this season and Arsenal generally worse from what I've seen. Shakespeare's responded to the realitiy of needing points rather than panache and in these closing stages he's not had a lot of options in the way he's gone about it, either in terms of reliable personnel or energy.

We concur exactly in terms of the number of quality new signings we need. It was the same at the beginning of this season but we wasted that opportunity and = worse still - allowed ourselves to be relieved of the midfield genius who blended us together so well.

I'm. not sure it's Shaky who "deserves his chance" as this club needing to recognise how much it "needs Shaky" as the respected off-field general who so effectively maintains that which our success has most been down to - which is team spirit.

We - like most clubs nowadays - have a diverse group in terms of culture and sensitivity and it is Shakespeare who seems to have skills to blend the group together so that each of them feels involved and important. For me that's the most important quality of a leader there is. And it's been so plainly demonstrated    at Leicester this season, and surely last season as well, before Ranieri decided to go his own way.  .        

19 hours ago, Wookie said:

We've been a bit fortunate in recent games, our shots on target numbers:

0-1 vs WBA (A): 1 

1-0 vs Arsenal (A): 3

2-2 vs Palace (A): 2

4-2 vs Everton (A): 4

That's a huge over performance which is really unsustainable, we'll have to improve significantly if we are to finish higher up the table next season.

You're brave fella....it's all gone a bit see no evil hear no evil as far as the new messiah is concerned and you could be courting abuse for not falling at his feet

10 minutes ago, seenitall said:

You're brave fella....it's all gone a bit see no evil hear no evil as far as the new messiah is concerned and you could be courting abuse for not falling at his feet

Don't be absurd, if you're able to resist.

Said it non stop all this season....

Ranieri was a hero last season but this season we were miles underachieving. 

Should have comfortably come in the tip eight. So many poor and bang average teams in this league and we became one of them. 

Not many teams have impressed me this season at all except top two. 

Criminal we in effect decided to throw games at shite teams away I.e. Hull, Watford, Sunderland, Bournemouth, Burnley and Swansea. 

Disgraceful 

Archived