Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brisfox

on current form

I did a quick calculation on how we would do next season based on our form since Shakey took over. In 9 league games ( excluding the CL), we have got 19 points. Over a 38 game season that would give us 80 points and in the top 4 with a chance of winni g the league. I know it is only for fun but it maybe gives us an idea of how we might do next season. With no euro footie as a distraction, maybe the miracle part 2 could happen?

It could have been a repeat of our great escape, hold on to the win at Palace and draw at Arsenal and it would be 7 1 1. 

All ifs and buts I know, but showed a similar peak in performance / results at the end of the last two seasons. I just wonder if our lads aren't fitter at the end of a season, notwithstanding the extra 10 draining champions league matches this year.

It's a good point - the depth in squad required for European campaigns combined with top 4 Prem achievement we simply don't have.

Retain our key players and make some quality signings - who knows. The table is ridiculous at the moment anyway, there's a top 7 and then 10 points seperating down to 17th place - 10 teams of mediocrity all of whom we should be smashing!

With a good pre-season last year and the players being allowed to continue to express themselves (rather than Wimbledon late 80's) by Claudio I firmly believe we would be challenging Everton for 7th and Europa league. This summer with improvement to the squad, who knows. Maybe we could challenge for a top 4 position. We only need to add 2 or 3 in to the team. Man City, Arsenal and Man U will be spending desperately again and trying to get them to gel. Come on City, believe!!

There were plenty of games under Ranieri we simply threw away. Middlesbrough home and away, Sunderland away, Bournemouth away (although Bournemouth is a tough place to go we didn't even score), Hull away, Swansea away, Everton home (they weren't that good), WBA home...

Thankfully Shakespeare has turned us around but we could have/should have easily been top 8 this season. Shame.

But also, lets not get ahead of ourselves. A full summer and starting the season is a lot different to just coming into a squad you already know to get the results. I remember a decade ago when Kelly came in, kept us up and I thought he was the man to lead us into the new season. Sacked.

With Spurs and citeh to come, I suspect looking at this stat at the end of the season will be a bit more informative. Firmly believe that we wouldn't have lost the lead at palace or lost at Everton without the CL distractions.  a positive end to the season and good results from those two fixtures should restore the groups confidence ahead of the next campaign that they can challenge at the top end once again. 

Top six absolutely, top four a good chance....I think it all hinges on what kind of business we do in the summer, the core of the squad (if we can keep them) is there, a few minor additions improving the quality should see us...I'd like to see a bit of future planning and forward thinking....see if we can pull in some real proven quality. Also if kept fit I think Slimani is a guaranteed 20 goals....I'm optimistic for next season! 

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

There were plenty of games under Ranieri we simply threw away. Middlesbrough home and away, Sunderland away, Bournemouth away (although Bournemouth is a tough place to go we didn't even score), Hull away, Swansea away, Everton home (they weren't that good), WBA home...

Thankfully Shakespeare has turned us around but we could have/should have easily been top 8 this season. Shame.

But also, lets not get ahead of ourselves. A full summer and starting the season is a lot different to just coming into a squad you already know to get the results. I remember a decade ago when Kelly came in, kept us up and I thought he was the man to lead us into the new season. Sacked.

Southampton away was the worst for giving 3 points away no coherent structure to tactics. That one was the last straw for me.

3 hours ago, brisfox said:

I did a quick calculation on how we would do next season based on our form since Shakey took over. In 9 league games ( excluding the CL), we have got 19 points. Over a 38 game season that would give us 80 points and in the top 4 with a chance of winni g the league. I know it is only for fun but it maybe gives us an idea of how we might do next season. With no euro footie as a distraction, maybe the miracle part 2 could happen?

Very encouraging, except for those fans campaigning to get a different manager! :whistle:   

as I said in another thread. Had we not wasted 25 games and picked up ten wins more from those games (not impossible) we would be top four now. As great as CR was last season he was poor this season.

Current form is not just due to Ndidi filling the Kante roll. We ripped man city to bits without either. Most of it was just poor tactics and trying to play a different way that did not suit us at all.

CR was just to stubborn to revert back to what won us the league. But he will forever be loved for last season.

52 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Perhaps the same fans that wanted Musa and now claim he's crap.

I think when you look at Musa's traits and the style of football we play you can see why people wanted him. Especially after the performance against Barca in pre season. 

The fact that he looks to be out his depth with premier league, shown little impact whenever called upon (minus Everton FA Cup) and fails with the basics of a footballer. I don't think you can judge many fans for criticising him when he has shown so little to be encouraged by and for the fee we bought him in for. 

Maybe he needs time to settle and a solid pre season could potentially give us a different player next season, the fact that he has little game time and no real involment with the match day squad probably shows how Shakey rates him. 

We've been a bit fortunate in recent games, our shots on target numbers:

0-1 vs WBA (A): 1 

1-0 vs Arsenal (A): 3

2-2 vs Palace (A): 2

4-2 vs Everton (A): 4

That's a huge over performance which is really unsustainable, we'll have to improve significantly if we are to finish higher up the table next season.

5 hours ago, Tuna said:

I think Ranieri still has questions to answer.

We should be comfortable top 8 in and around Everton and Arsenal.

Yep. The top 7 aren't even that good. Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal etc are so inconsistent.

Apart from the top 2 the rest of the league has been pretty poor. I think if we played to our potential,  like we have after Shakey took over, we could easily be in the top 4 and looking forward to CL football again. A missed opportunity really as Utd and City are going to spend massively in the summer, the likes of we've never seen before.

2 minutes ago, sm1 said:

Apart from the top 2 the rest of the league has been pretty poor. I think if we played to our potential,  like we have after Shakey took over, we could easily be in the top 4 and looking forward to CL football again. A missed opportunity really as Utd and City are going to spend massively in the summer, the likes of we've never seen before.

Definitely missed out...but many thought normal service was resuming this season but it looks like nobody wants 3rd or 4th place, why not the same next season?

Archived