Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Redouane

Mahrez to .......................?

3 minutes ago, Gerard said:

With the personnel we have now we could evolve to attacking full backs and I thought that might be why Iborra was brought in.

Much like Tottenham when their full backs play like wingers in possession and Iborra could be our Eric Dier who plays that holding midfielder role and drops in as a centre half to make three when both the full backs are attacking. Something like this with current players.

Albrighton Morgan Maguire Chilwell

Iborra 

Drinkwater            Ndidi

Mahrez                        Gray

Vardy

Yeah could work as Chilwell is very attacking and Albrighton can get decent crosses in from fairly deep positions. Not seen enough of Iborra to decide whether he could play that sort of role

maybe even Matty James could adopt that position, reads the game well and keeps it simple

2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

With the personnel we have now we could evolve to attacking full backs and I thought that might be why Iborra was brought in.

Much like Tottenham when their full backs play like wingers in possession and Iborra could be our Eric Dier who plays that holding midfielder role and drops in as a centre half to make three when both the full backs are attacking. Something like this with current players.

Iborra 

Vardy

I really like this, I still think There are plenty of players that can come in from current squad to shake it up when injurys and form drop. 

18 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Is that premier league winning right back Danny Simpson? 

Whats Bellerin won domestically? Couple of Fa cups? 

Who even is Roma's right back?

We did not win the Premier League because we had the best player in every single position. We won it because we had the best team. At some point the argument 'he won the Premier League!' is going to cease being an effective counter to anybody questioning the merits of one of our players.

3 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

We did not win the Premier League because we had the best player in every single position. We won it because we had the best team. At some point the argument 'he won the Premier League!' is going to cease being an effective counter to anybody questioning the merits of one of our players.

Yeah but it was only a year ago for christs sake. Everyone knows that individually we aren't anything special but I hate it when people make out Mahrez deserves to be playing with better players when he's only linked with Arsenal and Roma. I'm protective of our title winners as you can see lol

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

Is that premier league winning right back Danny Simpson? 

Whats Bellerin won domestically? Couple of Fa cups? 

Who even is Roma's right back?

By your logic you would take Marc over Sanchez! Its time to none on..

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Agreed. One of the reasons we play Simpson is because he is a defensive right back and covers for Marhez, that's the whole point. What's the point of an attacking overlapping wing back if nobody's going to cover you if you get forward? I don't realistically expect players like Marhez, Gray or even Lawrence if he stays to be full blooded expert defensive tacklers, that's clearly not their forte.  I would however expect them to provide some cover if their wing back goes on a run.

What is the point of a overlapping fullback if the one who's gonna cover for him is the winger? That doesn't make any sense! The DM is the one who covers for the overlapping fullback!

He's clearly trying the Suarez technique of 4 years ago when he put a request in, played an absolute blinder of a season, won player of the season and then bit someone at the World Cup - all to move onto Barca.

Honestly though it's good he's staying genuine and putting in work through preseason and not throwing his toys about, his intentions have been made clear and there's respect still there. All the fuss going on around Gylfi pales in comparison really, how an attitude like that is rated at 50m just shows football in this country these days really.

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

Yeah but it was only a year ago for christs sake. Everyone knows that individually we aren't anything special but I hate it when people make out Mahrez deserves to be playing with better players when he's only linked with Arsenal and Roma. I'm protective of our title winners as you can see lol

Compared to his talent? Absolutely! I'm not saying we should sign carvajal or someone. Just a fullback that can run would do a job! Amartey wasn't really getting much of the ball vs WBA, he wasn't dribbling per say nor was he pushing the ball forward a lot. But just him being there and running into space freed up riyad! Now imagine what he can do with a natural quality RB. 

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Sorry didn't realise we were in for the likes of Sanchez. My bad!

oh and yeah I would actually, hardworking and loyal

Thought some posters were joking when they said that some people here would rather have a work horse over a quality player. I guess they were right.

18 minutes ago, the fox said:

What is the point of a overlapping fullback if the one who's gonna cover for him is the winger? That doesn't make any sense! The DM is the one who covers for the overlapping fullback!

I agree, but it doesn't mean that the winger should just stand around with his finger up his arse he has responsibilities too. Should there be a sudden change of play, if the right back is furthest forward, the winger logically is further back albeit that may only be a few yards. Therefore he's nearest to sprint back and help his defensive midfielder and defence. My point is that Marhez, when we had DeLaet for example didn't do that and it caused problems, hence Ranieri rectified it by putting the more defensive minded Simpson there.

16 minutes ago, the fox said:

Thought some posters were joking when they said that some people here would rather have a work horse over a quality player. I guess they were right.

What's the point in signing a load of mercenaries that think they're bigger than the club.

I can forgive mistakes from players but not laziness

2 hours ago, Gerard said:

Iborra 

Vardy

Actually Albrighton at full back sounds good, at least offensively.  Overlapping and crossing with his natural foot and taking markers away from Mahrez allowing him to cut in and bamboozle their centre halves...

...I think I've just come.

32 minutes ago, SpazticChicken said:

He's clearly trying the Suarez technique of 4 years ago when he put a request in, played an absolute blinder of a season, won player of the season and then bit someone at the World Cup - all to move onto Barca.

Honestly though it's good he's staying genuine and putting in work through preseason and not throwing his toys about, his intentions have been made clear and there's respect still there. All the fuss going on around Gylfi pales in comparison really, how an attitude like that is rated at 50m just shows football in this country these days really.

But as i've said before Riyad needs to put a shift in, prove himself, knuckle down, perform and arugably rebuild/rebrand himself, last season really did creates doubts about him from other clubs, obviously.

He can't afford to throw his toys out the pram, he is in no position to do so.

Sigurdsson whilst he hasn't got loads of clubs queuing up for him he has got interest and people know what does and what he can do, consistanly. That doesn't excuse his behaviour and it could/should be a negative towards him, but regards what he does on the pitch there is no doubt.

Just now, murphy said:

Actually Albrighton at full back sounds good, at least offensively.  Overlapping and crossing with his natural foot and taking markers away from Mahrez allowing him to cut in and bamboozle their centre halves...

...I think I've just come.

Great energy and work rate to get up and down the pitch as well.

Offensively he would be everything you would want in a full back. It's whether he could do the defensive things as well and get his positioning right, etc.

4 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

What's the point in signing a load of mercenaries that think they're bigger than the club.

I can forgive mistakes from players but not laziness

Yes Sanchez wanted to leave but his work rate and commitment to arsenal in the season wasn't questioned. He was putting the work and managed to get 24 goals and 10 assists and you would rather have Marc (no disrespect to him) over SANCHEZ! You must be kidding yourself. Sanchez isn't a mercenary, he is on his last year and he wanted to win titles instead of staying with an underachieving club, what's wrong with that?

Rumours the club have received a bid.

Hinckley Town have offered two match balls and a full first team kit. They have also offered a pre season friendly next summer.

Seems Top is ready to accept it as it's the only realistic offer we have received.

9 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

. My point is that Marhez, when we had DeLaet for example didn't do that and it caused problems, hence Ranieri rectified it by putting the more defensive minded Simpson there.

Everyone knows that de laet isn't much of a dribbler and mahrez is a lot better defender than 2 years ago, but tell you what, mahrez with de last overlapping was skinning fullbacks for fun.

8 minutes ago, the fox said:

Everyone knows that de laet isn't much of a dribbler and mahrez is a lot better defender than 2 years ago, but tell you what, mahrez with de last overlapping was skinning fullbacks for fun.

The season we was nearly relegated we was getting exposed a lot down the right as well.

1 minute ago, HankMarvin said:

The season we was nearly relegated we was getting exposed a lot down the right as well.

Not really! The main issue was the gap between the defense and CMs because there was no DM for about half the season. Teams cut through us with very little effort.

13 minutes ago, the fox said:

Not really! The main issue was the gap between the defense and CMs because there was no DM for about half the season. Teams cut through us with very little effort.

Have you gone back in time and watched those games, there was me thinking your interest in the club spiked when we was at the top end of the table?

17 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Have you gone back in time and watched those games, there was me thinking your interest in the club spiked when we was at the top end of the table?

In my spare time I like to re-watch games if they are on T.V. or just watching highlights of the games (those 10-12 minutes) plus highlight videos of the players.

It's actually a lot more fun to offer opinions when the team isn't winning the league lol without being called a "bandwagon fan" or a "fairweather" fan. The first 6-7 months of last season (apart from CL) were like torture. Some absolute ugly brand of football.

Edit: i'm not really interested in glory hunting, if I was I would've done what many others did and fallowed a big club. But instead, I was watching us losing against Sunderland 2-1 while people were watching el clasico. Still, no regrets to this day lol

39 minutes ago, the fox said:

15 minutes ago, the fox said:

In my spare time I like to re-watch games if they are on T.V. or just watching highlights of the games (those 10-12 minutes) plus highlight videos of the players.

It's actually a lot more fun to offer opinions about the team at those times without being called a "bandwagon fan" or a "fairweather" fan. The first 6-7 months of last season (apart from CL) were like torture. Some absolute ugly brand of football.

Not sure you can even get 10 12 mins highlights from every game in the great escape season, and your opinion seems so adamant that being exposed down the right wasn't an option.

On 11/12/2014 at 18:18, Stuliasz said:

De Laet's ratings and rankings for each match so far:

5.57 (14) - Everton (H)

6.19 (11) - Chelsea (A)

7.27 (8) - Arsenal (H)

6.38 (8) - Stoke (A)

7.52 (10) - Man Utd (H)

4.39 (13) - Palace (A)

5.89 (6) - Burnley (H)

5.06 (8) - Newcastle (A)

4.02 (10) - Swansea (A)

5.40 (5) - WBA (H)

4.10 (12) - Southampton (A)

1 minute ago, HankMarvin said:

Not sure you can even get 10 12 mins highlights from every game in the great escape season,

and your opinion seems so adamant that being exposed down the right wasn't an option.

Was talking about the 2016/2017 season

I Didn't say it wasn't an issue, especially after that arsenal battering. Just saying that it isn't the main problem. We are talking about what's best for the team, and mahrez firing on all cylinders is just that. De laet was always suspect defensively so it isn't really fair to say that any defender that can overlap will leave the team exposed.

Archived