Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Gylfi Sigurdsson

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

I've asked you before...who do you have your mind on? If we need this creative midfielder that most people seem to think we do..who are you suggesting? And are they available and for how much?

No idea and it's not my job to come up with alternatives. My football knowledge is pretty limited outside of England but if the club haven't got their finger on the pulse as far as players in Europe and South America then someone needs sacking.

I do know that there is very little upside in signing Sigurdsson for £50m knowing what we know about him.

2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

No idea and it's not my job to come up with alternatives. My football knowledge is pretty limited outside of England but if the club haven't got their finger on the pulse as far as players in Europe and South America then someone needs sacking.

I do know that there is very little upside in signing Sigurdsson for £50m knowing what we know about him.

This exactly. There is no way that Sigurdsson is worth anywhere near 50m. This would be bad business imo.

7 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I do agree that  £50m is too much but he is a top player and exactly what we needed. Alot of people seem to be saying he's not that good since its looking like hes joining Everton. He is a very very good player and id have paid 35-40m for him but 50m is too much for a club like us. Leave Everton to throw all that cash around. 

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I usually like your posts but you're making ridiculous analogies here. And offensive ones. I'm not into spending for the sake of it. But if the going rate for Sigurdsson is 45/50 mill and he's our key identified target, pay the money and let's get on with making a fist of the season.

The club can afford to.

How can you be so sure that we can?

£50m plus 125k a week for 5 years costs more than what we got for the champions league and the extra for winning the league combined... on one player!!!

Considering we're already the fourth highest net spenders after I heanacho, I'd say a lot of that money has already been spent.

I just can't fathom why people think there is a bottomless pit.

8 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

I do agree that  £50m is too much but he is a top player and exactly what we needed. Alot of people seem to be saying he's not that good since its looking like hes joining Everton. He is a very very good player and id have paid 35-40m for him but 50m is too much for a club like us. Leave Everton to throw all that cash around. 

Quite right, let him fail there. Not even sure how he will fit in at Everton on a regular basis without upsetting others. This guy Koeman is spending money like a kid with a rich dad. Can't wait for it to all go tits up when these marquee signings are not playing every week and he loses the dressing room because everyones p****d off. 

19 minutes ago, CyprusFox said:

Quite right, let him fail there. Not even sure how he will fit in at Everton on a regular basis without upsetting others. This guy Koeman is spending money like a kid with a rich dad. Can't wait for it to all go tits up when these marquee signings are not playing every week and he loses the dressing room because everyones p****d off. 

They are chasing top 6 ...    Are we ??

20 minutes ago, CyprusFox said:

Or for them to really gel and kick on. Only time will tell I guess

38 minutes ago, Babylon said:

£50m plus 125k a week for 5 years costs more than what we got for the champions league and the extra for winning the league combined... on one player!!!

Considering we're already the fourth highest net spenders after I heanacho, I'd say a lot of that money has already been spent.

I think Col has blocked you Bab's so hopefully if he sees my quote he will reply (not that I am doing it because of that, as I'm replying to you too).

I agree with you on spending a lot of money (again, not taking sides!!) and we need to be a bit more judicious with our money than a lot of people think.  

My biggest concern is that we are the peak of the TV money for the Premier League, and I worry how long TV, and collective bargaining will be a thing.  We're already seeing LCFC start to stream live game.  The court injunction on piracy may make penalties harsher but it won't block pirating at all. Clubs and the EPL will have to start to embrace serving up games online and then it will become interesting.  I worry that we are the only country (apart from the US) that has any semblance of even revenue for TV money, but looking at the breakdowns, there a lot of position based bonuses coming in. A lot of clubs are betting big that they will get more revenue and for a longer period by spending big (exhibit A, Everton) but not everyone will get in the Top 4 and get huge money.  Then it becomes a case, in my opinion, over either doubling down or going back to normal.  We've seen the league even out a little in the last couple of years but I worry that at some point a split will happen and it'll be off the back of the haves and have nots.

So back to Gylfi... I seriously think the club haven't pulled the trigger as it's too big of a bet on getting us into the top 4 and sustaining it.  The £30M on Slimani and the net spend last year was a bit of, oh crap, in my opinion, and we did miss out on some players that would have got us top 6.  I think that Kante was seen by many players as such a big factor, plus we were "one off" that they didn't want to bet on us either.  Weird, because Gylfi last year for 30M would have probably have been doable and the UCL would have paid for him.  

55 minutes ago, Babylon said:

get Sigurdsson in then sell Drinkwater for £30m to Chelsea

Just now, Jimmy said:

Well surely this is part of it?

It's a market? If we want Sigurdsson enough (or any player for that matter) and don't want to pay the extra 5-10 million (assuming we have bid 40 m) then we sell some players don't we? It's called business or 'wheeling and dealing' if you like. I wouldn't sell Drinkwater, but I'd let James go. I'd certainly let Mendy go and Amartey. 

The problem, as I've said before, COULD be that we've filled up with so many players that other teams just don't want. Which smacks of bad recruitment right down the line. I don't know what the club is doing at the mo though.

27 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

They are going to sell their best two players for what, £120m+?

If we'd sold Mahrez and Kante last year for say £70m and then spent £60m on about 8 players, would you say we were chasing top 6?

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

Well surely this is part of it?

It's a market? If we want Sigurdsson enough (or any player for that matter) and don't want to pay the extra 5-10 million (assuming we have bid 40 m) then we sell some players don't we? It's called business or 'wheeling and dealing' if you like. I wouldn't sell Drinkwater, but I'd let James go. I'd certainly let Mendy go and Amartey. 

The problem, as I've said before, COULD be that we've filled up with so many players that other teams just don't want. Which smacks of bad recruitment right down the line. I don't know what the club is doing at the mo though.

Do you think Gylfi coming in and Drinky going keeps the team's balance?  I'm not sure it does (and I can't see the coaching staff trying a different formation anytime soon), and I agree with you that I wouldn't sell him either.  

You could be right that we have a lot of players others don't want.  Could also be that we don't want to sell them and lots of enquiries never make the back pages (or IndyKailia!).  I remember hearing Sam Allardyce made 120+ enquiries in January, but we only heard about 10 or so. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Someone who's going to cost you £85m total package will most probably just been seen as too much of a risk for one player.

Whether you sell players or not, that's still what he costs what. What if he flops, what if he gets injured... the club will weigh up the risk / reward.

Then there is FFP presuming we are trying to stay in the boundaries. Could we afford that amount whilst also strengthening other positions?

3 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

I think the main problem with the Gylfi transfer is via some very strategic leaks, he's made it completely clear that he doesn't want to join us and he wants to join Everton.  We could offer Swansea £60m which they'd accept but if the player doesnt want to come, then he wont.

Iheanacho wanted to join WHam but he came here ...   They are a mercenary lot.

6 minutes ago, HoustonFox said:

Do you think Gylfi coming in and Drinky going keeps the team's balance?  I'm not sure it does (and I can't see the coaching staff trying a different formation anytime soon), and I agree with you that I wouldn't sell him either.  

You could be right that we have a lot of players others don't want.  Could also be that we don't want to sell them and lots of enquiries never make the back pages (or IndyKailia!).  I remember hearing Sam Allardyce made 120+ enquiries in January, but we only heard about 10 or so. 

No, I said I wouldn't well Drinkwater. Drinkwater is never the main central midfielder...he needs better players around him to get the best out of him. I'd love a squad containing Mahrez, Siggy AND Drinkwater, at the expense of losing some of the bang average players. Sigurdsson could be the creative midfielder that Iheanacho will now feed off too.

43 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Yeah, its also about camaradaree and mental attitude. We certainly didn't have the best or largest  squad when we won the league. If Evertons massive squad of top players are not in the right frame of mind mentally, then they'll win f***k all. The majority of their new signings are not used to spending half the season on the bench.

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

They are going to sell their best two players for what, £120m+?

If we'd sold Mahrez and Kante last year for say £70m and then spent £60m on about 8 players, would you say we were chasing top 6?

They seem to be more dynamic ...    Not saying it will pay off but they are giving it a go, their intentions are clear ....    We are obviously chasing the same thing but are adopting a more conservative approach.   Imo we have missed a few opportunities ..  Eg Keane ...    Our stance after becoming champions was an indicator to me that we are being too conservative.   Only my opinion as overall the owners are doing a fantastic job.

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

No, I said I wouldn't well Drinkwater. Drinkwater is never the main central midfielder...he needs better players around him to get the best out of him. I'd love a squad containing Mahrez, Siggy AND Drinkwater, at the expense of losing some of the bang average players. Sigurdsson could be the creative midfielder that Iheanacho will now feed off too.

Maybe use some paragraphs to break up your text. :P  I also said I AGREED with you on not selling Drinky but it wasn't really clear until now that you want them all.

I'll quote the late, great, Freddie Mercury in agreeing with also, in that I want it all and I want it now!!  :scarf:

Archived