Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Gylfi Sigurdsson

16 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It's looking like I must be one of the only ones to think Sigurdsson WOULD be worth paying for. 50 mill, an obscene amount of money, is fast becoming last season's 30 mill. And I believe he'd make a huge difference to this team personally, I'd love to see the link up play between him and Mahrez.

I guess it's what's seen as being value for money. The club has it, football is its own market and I think he'd make a massive difference.

I do think he would make a massive difference for us but I think 50 million is crazy money for him. I think we are screaming out for a creative player. He would have fit the bill.

Guest BlueBrett
45 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Oh yeah he's ancient

**googles Sigurdssons age**

He's only 27?! He's still in his prime!

lol  and I guess the only players not aging are the ones dead and buried. 

6 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Well which 'similar players' are we linked with, might be genuinely available, with Prem experience etc? If you can name some realistic targets, for less money, I'm all ears. 

Everton are becoming 'a big club' and they seem to want him.

28 is a prime age for this type of player. He's got 4 good years left in him.

Man City signed Gabriel Jesus for £27m.

Would you rather sign a 19 year old who is one of the best rated players in South America for half the money or buy a near 28 year old who has spent his career as a big club reject and one of the better players in the lower half of the PL for twice the money?

Buying Sigurdsson for £50m is safe, unspectacular and overpriced. We already know he'll be decent for them but he won't be bridging the gap against the other teams above them. They'll also never get anything like the money back they're paying for him. Sigurdsson is like a new car, as soon as they buy him they've lost a lot of money and his value will only depreciate.

Just now, BlueBrett said:

lol  and I guess the only players not aging are the ones dead and buried. 

I just find it sad that I'm 32 next week and I'm thinking "27? God he's finished, no way we should go for that old donkey" lol

12 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

I do think he would make a massive difference for us but I think 50 million is crazy money for him. I think we are screaming out for a creative player. He would have fit the bill.

Genuinely think if we compare 'the worth' of say Slimani (30 m plus wages) to Gylfi (let's say 45m plus wages) it becomes more contextual.

I think Sigurdsson's 'worth' to LCFC would far outweigh that of Slimani. So for 15 mill extra, he would be worth paying for. The players that 'make the difference' are expensive. It's how it is. We are a Prem football club and are full of middle of the road players. We need to modernise and get one of two of the next level up.

11 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Genuinely think if we compare 'the worth' of say Slimani (30 m plus wages) to Gylfi (let's say 45m plus wages) it becomes more contextual.

I think Sigurdsson's 'worth' to LCFC would far outweigh that of Slimani. So for 15 mill extra, he would be worth paying for. The players that 'make the difference' are expensive. It's how it is. We are a Prem football club and are full of middle of the road players. We need to modernise and get one of two of the next level up.

At the same time you could put it into the context of signings made by other clubs. Currently it looks like we overpaid for Slimani so in that context, Sigurdsson for £50m doesn't seem as bad. The only reason he's "worth" £50m is because he plays in the Premier League.

Don't get me wrong I am really on the fence with regards to his worth. Do we even have a plan b or c, now he's set for Everton? We seriously lack creativity, so I suppose in hindsight perhaps £50m would just solve that.

I do agree with getting one or two top players. Problem is we are struggling to hold onto our only genuine "top" player and that is Mahrez. Doesn't send out a great signal. What's worse is Mahrez is going to go for considerable less than Sigurdsson.

As you can see from my response, I am said ****ing unsure on what I'd do lol

I'm not as convinced about Everton's business as others are. I don't see Lukaku's goals being replaced by Rooney or Sandro and they seem a bit heavy on central players. They'll be top seven again and Gylfi is a good signing, but I certainly don't see top four for them.

24 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It's no secret you think 30million for Slim was way too much, so it's an interesting move using him as the context to advocate a 45 million quid bid for Sigurdsson.

The only winners here are Swansea. A very good player indeed but one who you would think is just about at his peak. Wouldn't have been annoyed if we had signed him but not bothered that we're not - what does bother me is if we were truly after him why haven't we identified more than one player similar to him and gone after him when this scenario came to the fore? 

39 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

You're comparing it against another rip-off though. Doing better business than last summer is scraping the barrel. We paid loads for mediocrity.

I would like Sigurdsson but I wouldn't go higher than £30mil personally. 

4 minutes ago, Bert said:

The only winners here are Swansea. A very good player indeed but one who you would think is just about at his peak. Wouldn't have been annoyed if we had signed him but not bothered that we're not - what does bother me is if we were truly after him why haven't we identified more than one player similar to him and gone after him when this scenario came to the fore? 

Swansea lose in a sense of losing a star player, but for 50 million and a good scouting set up they can surely replace him and improve in several places 

8 minutes ago, Bert said:

£50m is an amazing amount for Siggy. Swansea could turn that into 3 or 4 young players with as much potential. Lawrence for 15m for example.

20 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

You're comparing it against another rip-off though. Doing better business than last summer is scraping the barrel. We paid loads for mediocrity.

I would like Sigurdsson but I wouldn't go higher than £30mil personally. 

It's all about what he is worth to the buying club ...   and I'd say he's worth a lot more to us than other clubs that are interested in him.   If we can tempt him to come ..  do it.

I've seen some good solid players arrive at the club so far but no real game changers ...   he is one.

If we can shift out some cr@p, hang on to our good players and get (say) Gibson in (and Siggy) ...   that would be good business as far as I'm concerned.

19 minutes ago, FIF said:

£50m is an amazing amount for Siggy. Swansea could turn that into 3 or 4 young players with as much potential. Lawrence for 15m for example.

Thats true but we need a quality player now ..   no more 'potential' for a bit.

31 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

It's all about what he is worth to the buying club ...   and I'd say he's worth a lot more to us than other clubs that are interested in him.   If we can tempt him to come ..  do it.

I've seen some good solid players arrive at the club so far but no real game changers ...   he is one.

If we can shift out some cr@p, hang on to our good players and get (say) Gibson in (and Siggy) ...   that would be good business as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed, to me he isn't worth fifty million of our money. In-fact the only club he's worth that to is Swansea, hence why they'll charge it.

I just personally want better for that kind of money. Not someone who couldn't get in Spurs' side and someone who the bulk of the creativity comes from set pieces rather than in general play.

There's no doubt he'd be an improvement but if we're prepared to spend that we can do better.

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I just personally want better for that kind of money ...

There's no doubt he'd be an improvement but ...

But who ....    Who is there that's better that we could tempt ...   Unfortunately we are in that prem no mans land and the better players will want to go to a 'top 6' type club ...    The impetus we got from winning the league was wasted and has gone.  For us to move on we have to grab any player that (like you said) is an improvement and bite the bullet.  Regularly getting into the top 6 or 8 is more difficult than getting out of the Championship imo.   And for me spending big is an investment as what's big now will probably be peanuts in a few years time.

3 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I'm glad we didn't goes balls out and offer 50m. A club our size has no business in that territory, and I don't think he'd be worth it.

Thats an odd thing to say.

Not only do we have a huge amount left from the TV money for last season, we are likely to get about 40m for Mahrez sometime soon...

33 minutes ago, MPH said:

Thats an odd thing to say.

Not only do we have a huge amount left from the TV money for last season, we are likely to get about 40m for Mahrez sometime soon...

I've said before, some people post like it's their own money. It isn't and the club is not going to go bust because we buy Gylfi.

23 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I've said before, some people post like it's their own money. It isn't and the club is not going to go bust because we buy Gylfi.

That is the attitude of an animal caring more about it's next meal rather than the sustainability of the food source.

Signing Sigurdsson would make us a slightly better side but to the detriment to the long term health of the club.

If we spent £50m on Sigurdsson we probably have him for five years and with transfer fees and wages he costs us £90m. In five years time he possibly moves for free as a 33 year old and we don't get £90m of value out of him which means we have to cut costs elsewhere in the squad.

Just now, Gerard said:

That is the attitude of an animal caring more about it's next meal rather than the sustainability of the food source.

Signing Sigurdsson would make us a slightly better side but to the detriment to the long term health of the club.

If we spent £50m on Sigurdsson we probably have him for five years and with transfer fees and wages he costs us £90m. In five years time he possibly moves for free as a 33 year old and we don't get £90m of value out of him which means we have to cut costs elsewhere in the squad.

or potentially the owners would pump more money in as opposed to take it out?

Archived