Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Gylfi Sigurdsson

1 hour ago, Sly said:

Everton apparently increasing the bid to the equivalent of £50,000,000 ..... have people forgotten about FFP now?

They have only spent about 10 mill nett so far. they still have barklay's fee to come in so that will mean a nett spend at the end of the window approx 30 mill. seems reasonable though the wage bill must have had a bit of a kick which would be more difficult to manage under current prem restrictions but not impossible as others have noted in other threads.

12 hours ago, st albans fox said:

PSG are doing some wierd things to try to keep the right side. mind you, they have previous. 

FFP accounting allows for transfer fees to be paid over the length of the player’s contract (just as in the actual deal payments will be structured over time). So that gives you a bit of wriggle room – PSG might, for example, be able to sell three or four players at €50m a time during the next couple of years. 

The Spanish press have claimed meanwhile that the deal could be done in a more roundabout way. Mundo Deportivo has reported that Neymar may have already agreed to become an ambassador for Qatar’s World Cup and that the fee for this might be around the magic number of £200m. In that case Neymar would be able to turn up at the offices of La Liga and buy out his own release clause.

52 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

FFP accounting allows for transfer fees to be paid over the length of the player’s contract (just as in the actual deal payments will be structured over time). So that gives you a bit of wriggle room – PSG might, for example, be able to sell three or four players at €50m a time during the next couple of years. 

The Spanish press have claimed meanwhile that the deal could be done in a more roundabout way. Mundo Deportivo has reported that Neymar may have already agreed to become an ambassador for Qatar’s World Cup and that the fee for this might be around the magic number of £200m. In that case Neymar would be able to turn up at the offices of La Liga and buy out his own release clause.

I was referring to the Qatar World Cup ambassadorial role - if they get away with that then king power can surely renew their sponsorship of our stadium for £100 mill per season !!

Missing out on him at that price isn't a blow given that price tag and knowing we at least tried (and with a great offer ourselves), but the club needs to bring in a similar player. Even if we brought a player who it turns out is not up to scratch, I would feel more comfortable that we at least recognised the weakness and try to sort it out.

It's so obvious from every game we've played pre-season that we need another creative player as an option. God help us if Riyad leaves.

10 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I'm glad we didn't goes balls out and offer 50m. A club our size has no business in that territory, and I don't think he'd be worth it.

Of the people who want us to go in at £50m, 90% of them we be the "just pay it" brigade if we were offered him for £100m.

He's a terrible buy at £45m+

Sigurdsson really isn't all that, especially for anything more than £20million. 

Close to £50million for someone who can take a decent corner and freekick is ludicrous, even in today's market.

Swansea will struggle without him though and are probably a bit p*seed that they slapped that price tag on him to put people off but it didn't work. A case of money over results I feel

It's looking like I must be one of the only ones to think Sigurdsson WOULD be worth paying for. 50 mill, an obscene amount of money, is fast becoming last season's 30 mill. And I believe he'd make a huge difference to this team personally, I'd love to see the link up play between him and Mahrez.

I guess it's what's seen as being value for money. The club has it, football is its own market and I think he'd make a massive difference.

7 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It's looking like I must be one of the only ones to think Sigurdsson WOULD be worth paying for. 50 mill, an obscene amount of money, is fast becoming last season's 30 mill. And I believe he'd make a huge difference to this team personally, I'd love to see the link up play between him and Mahrez.

I guess it's what's seen as being value for money. The club has it, football is its own market and I think he'd make a massive difference.

You slap £50m for any player in South America and you'll get him.

Are you really telling me there's not another player in the world that's better than Sigurdsson that we couldn't get. His set pieces are world class but he's quite an average player in open play. We already know that he's 28 in a month and not wanted by the big clubs.

Yes he would improve us but he's an awful buy at that price, paying £50m for Sigurdsson seems to me as a stamp of failure on your recruitment. You have enough money to buy almost any player in the world and that's the best you can do? 

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

You slap £50m for any player in South America and you'll get him.

Are you really telling me there's not another player in the world that's better than Sigurdsson that we couldn't get. His set pieces are world class but he's quite an average player in open play. We already know that he's 28 in a month and not wanted by the big clubs.

Yes he would improve us but he's an awful buy at that price, paying £50m for Sigurdsson seems to me as a stamp of failure on your recruitment. You have enough money to buy almost any player in the world and that's the best you can do? 

Well which 'similar players' are we linked with, might be genuinely available, with Prem experience etc? If you can name some realistic targets, for less money, I'm all ears. 

Everton are becoming 'a big club' and they seem to want him.

28 is a prime age for this type of player. He's got 4 good years left in him.

Archived