Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes21

Bob Madley's comical errors for Mahrez Penalty.

Today's game is yet another example for me of the rules being massively flawed. That first goal for example, they've gotten wrong but how can you seriously expect the officials to definitely tell if it was offside or not? As well as having to decide by a matter of inches which part of his body was onside or offside, they now have to decide how much he is influencing play. Can people seriously not see how that is too much?

The standard of officiating is poor, but they aren't helped in the slightest by the rules. It's so geared against officials it's unreal. I cannot see an argument against video assistance.

1 minute ago, Dan LCFC said:

Today's game is yet another example for me of the rules being massively flawed. That first goal for example, they've gotten wrong but how can you seriously expect the officials to definitely tell if it was offside or not? As well as having to decide by a matter of inches which part of his body was onside or offside, they now have to decide how much he is influencing play. Can people seriously not see how that is too much?

The standard of officiating is poor, but they aren't helped in the slightest by the rules. It's so geared against officials it's unreal. I cannot see an argument against video assistance.

Well mark's forum would be quieter - as would all the phone ins and the pubs across the country chatting about it later 

6 minutes ago, BoyJones said:

Ok mate, just have to agree to differ. If the kicker infringes the rules and the ball goes into the net, the referee is within his rights to order retake, according to Law 14. 

Later on it does go into detail about a second touch by the kicker, but this surely relates to a deliberate knocking the ball a couple of yards nearer goal then blasting it. And no outside agent involved.

The law was never about slipping and having a virtual simultaneous and accidental touch. 

Anyway, as already stated Mahrez did mess up and the game is over. 

The laws about two touches, deliberate or accidental slip. 

4 minutes ago, BoyJones said:

Ok mate, just have to agree to differ. If the kicker infringes the rules and the ball goes into the net, the referee is within his rights to order retake, according to Law 14. 

Later on it does go into detail about a second touch by the kicker, but this surely relates to a deliberate knocking the ball a couple of yards nearer goal then blasting it. And no outside agent involved.

The law was never about slipping and having a virtual simultaneous and accidental touch. 

Anyway, as already stated Mahrez did mess up and the game is over. 

It's not really open to interpretation. The retaking due to the taker infringing the rules only applies before the kick is taken. Once the kick is taken it's in play, if the taker touches it again before anybody else it's an indirect free kick. 

It's harsh in a case like this, but the rules are pretty black and white.

Okay so Mahrez fvcked up with the pano and the ref fvcked up with the decision to not follow the rules and we lost a game we should have draw. The annoying thing for me is that could cost us 4 million quid at the end of the season. 

Just now, yorkie1999 said:

Okay so Mahrez fvcked up with the pano and the ref fvcked up with the decision to not follow the rules and we lost a game we should have draw. The annoying thing for me is that could cost us 4 million quid at the end of the season. 

We are shitting money mate we spunked over 30m on Musa and Mendy.

4 minutes ago, potter3 said:

It's not really open to interpretation. The retaking due to the taker infringing the rules only applies before the kick is taken. Once the kick is taken it's in play, if the taker touches it again before anybody else it's an indirect free kick. 

It's harsh in a case like this, but the rules are pretty black and white.

And the opposition infringing the rules.

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Well mark's forum would be quieter - as would all the phone ins and the pubs across the country chatting about it later 

Don't agree. It would make the country less obsessed with talking about decisions all of the time and more talking about football.

3 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

And the opposition infringing the rules.

Oh yeah they definitely did. But if he's ignoring that (like every other ref in the country), the decision about the kick itself is correct.

1 minute ago, potter3 said:

Oh yeah they definitely did. But if he's ignoring that (like every other ref in the country), the decision about the kick itself is correct.

It's not because he's applying the rule pertaining to infringements at a penalty. You can't apply one bit and not the other.

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

It's not because he's applying the rule pertaining to infringements at a penalty. You can't apply one bit and not the other.

Well they're two separate decisions. Just because one is wrong, doesn't make the other one wrong (in isolation).

The real mistake was Mahrez taking the Penalty in the first place. He was shite all day apart from the winning Penalty.

It should have been taken by Slimani.

However, the decision by the Ref although right was harsh. Especially when they did encroach the area before the kick. But the Ref can't watch everything.

Which is why Video evidence is a must.

18 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Don't agree. It would make the country less obsessed with talking about decisions all of the time and more talking about football.

Aye post game in the pub before saturation tv the talk was only ever about individual parts of the play, the goals, the near misses, the saves, clever bits of play etc these things hardly if ever get discussed these days. How much chat has there  been about Shingi's goal and the build up to it.

I'm going to be as plain as people stating it was the right decision.

It was completely the wrong decision from the referee. 

Mahrez is the most technically skilled player in the Premier League, not even he could have forged such a style of penalty taking that included a slip. If he had, he would have never have included a double touch within what would have been the most elaborately taken penalty of all time. 

The rules as rules state though, it was an illegally taken penalty. 

Complete rubbish, bring in VAR to rule out the ineptitude of Football Referees in the modern game.

I am totally done with it now, utter shambles. 

1 minute ago, davieG said:

Aye post game in the pub before saturation tv the talk was only ever about individual parts of the play, the goals, the near misses, the saves, clever bits of play etc these things hardly if ever get discussed these days. How much chat has there  been about Shingi's goal and the build up to it.

It's a very English thing. We're all guilty of it but we are obsessed with referees over here. I think Pep himself has made a point about that before.

I get that it is a talking point but we'd find other things to talk about, more productive things as well.

I think what's annoying some people (it's annoying me at least) is the contradiction in some of the arguments defending the decision. People are justifiably saying that by the letter or the law, however harsh it may seem, the ref was right to give them the indirect freekick for the double touch and that the rule gives the ref no other choice. Some are even praising the ref for his observational skills. But when the counter-argument of players being in the box is offered, the response is something like well yeah it's in the rules but nobody really bothers with it. I do not get this. Why are the ref's hands tied with the double touch but free to remain comfortably by his side for the penalty box intrusion? 

Officials lie and pretend that they have seen stuff all the time.

Kasper looked to keep the ball in and the lino on the other side gave a corner. No way he could.have seen from not being on the line and could he see through Kasper? No. Lie.

Gray should have had a corner near end. Again lino on other side could not have been in position to give a goal kick. Lie.

Blatant cheating by officials again 

30 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

The real mistake was Mahrez taking the Penalty in the first place. He was shite all day apart from the winning Penalty.

It should have been taken by Slimani.

However, the decision by the Ref although right was harsh. Especially when they did encroach the area before the kick. But the Ref can't watch everything.

Which is why Video evidence is a must.

I hate Mahrez's stuttering run ups to penalties and have seen him miss too many that way, and screw it up today. Vardy, Slimani and Fuchs all take better penalties than Mahrez. 

Archived