Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Would you still want Mahrez as a City player?

Just now, MC Prussian said:

I'd like to think I'm being quite coherent, but thanks. :D

Unless it's you being ironic with the gentleman's agreement part earlier on.

No, I really didn't understand what you meant. As for the gentleman's agreement, I was dead serious. Looks like the Mahrez side bought it anyway.

1 minute ago, MattCan said:

No, I really didn't understand what you meant. As for the gentleman's agreement, I was dead serious. Looks like the Mahrez side bought it anyway.

Trying to spin it in favour of Riyad is a bit simplistic, isn't it?

As a pro footballer, you should be well aware that managers come and go when results don't go your way. You want to play football, that's why you've chosen that path and made it this far. With all due respect to Ranieri, Mahrez was one of the few who could not overcome the managerial change and could not perform up to standard once Shakespeare took over.

And where was such a gentleman's agreement ever mentioned?

1 minute ago, MC Prussian said:

Trying to spin it in favour of Riyad is a bit simplistic, isn't it?

As a pro footballer, you should be well aware that managers come and go when results don't go your way. You want to play football, that's why you've chosen that path and made it this far. With all due respect to Ranieri, Mahrez was one of the few who could not overcome the managerial change and could not perform up to standard once Shakespeare took over.

And where was such a gentleman's agreement ever mentioned?

1. Mahrez performed pretty well under Shakespeare. I guess it's a matter of opinions and agendas.

2. The gentleman's agreement is well known. I may pull out few solid references for your convenience when I get some free time  :D

13 minutes ago, MattCan said:

1. Mahrez performed pretty well under Shakespeare. I guess it's a matter of opinions and agendas.

2. The gentleman's agreement is well known. I may pull out few solid references for your convenience when I get some free time  :D

1. True - I saw a continuation of his bad form under Ranieri, others upped their game by far more.

2. You mean a gentleman's agreement not even Shakespeare knows about? http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2017/05/11/35424232/gentlemans-agreement-with-psg-target-mahrez-is-news-to-leicester-

1 minute ago, MC Prussian said:

1. True - I saw a continuation of his bad form under Ranieri, others upped their game by far more.

2. You mean a gentleman's agreement not even Shakespeare know about? http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2017/05/11/35424232/gentlemans-agreement-with-psg-target-mahrez-is-news-to-leicester-

For some weird reason or geographical restrictions/re-directions, I get the Sportingnews website when I click on your link.

Anyway, how come the journalist who asked the question knew about it then? Did he have the same dream as mine?

8 minutes ago, MattCan said:

For some weird reason or geographical restrictions/re-directions, I get the Sportingnews website when I click on your link.

Anyway, how come the journalist who asked the question knew about it then? Did he have the same dream as mine?

There was a mention of an agreement in the Independent:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/arsenal-chelsea-tottenham-riyad-mahrez-leave-leicester-transfer-a7726626.html

But all we know is is that Ranieri did ask players like Mahrez (or Vardy) to stay with the club, whether it was for just one more season is unclear. But Ranieri did say he hoped our key players would remain at the club, helping it push even further.

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report-stay-with-me-leicester-city-coach-claudio-ranieri-s-plea-to-players-2210259

It was merely a plea as a consequence of an interview with Ranieri, his personal opinion - I can't understand why the media are now turning it into a "gentleman's agreement" and why some fans continue to believe it.

9 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

There was a mention of an agreement in the Independent:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/arsenal-chelsea-tottenham-riyad-mahrez-leave-leicester-transfer-a7726626.html

But all we know is is that Ranieri did ask players like Mahrez (or Vardy) to stay with the club, whether it was for just one more season is unclear. But Ranieri did say he hoped our key players would remain at the club, helping it push even further.

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report-stay-with-me-leicester-city-coach-claudio-ranieri-s-plea-to-players-2210259

It was merely a plea as a consequence of an interview with Ranieri, his personal opinion - I can't understand why the media are now turning it into a "gentleman's agreement" and why some fans continue to believe it.

This is what Mahrez said regarding this point is his statement:

" I had a good discussion with the chairman last summer and we agreed at that time that I would stay for another year in order to help the club as best as I could following the transition of winning the title and in the Champions League."

This implies to me that he not only believed in this "gentleman's agreement" pact but moreover was counting on it to be honored.

7 minutes ago, MattCan said:

" I had a good discussion with the chairman last summer and we agreed at that time that I would stay for another year in order to help the club as best as I could following the transition of winning the title and in the Champions League."

This implies to me that he not only believed in this "gentleman's agreement" pact but moreover was counting on it to be honored.

It may well be that Riyad took it the literal way - "one more year, then I can finally **** off and get my dream move". :ph34r:

Just now, MC Prussian said:

It may well be that Riyad took it the literal way - "one more year, then I can finally **** off and get my dream move". :ph34r:

He stayed in a good will gesture to help the club and did his best (he even became an RB ffs) but yeah he counted on it.

12 minutes ago, MattCan said:

He stayed in a good will gesture to help the club and did his best (he even became an RB ffs) but yeah he counted on it.

Opinions might slightly differ on that one...

Also, IF there was indeed a gentlemen's agreement in effect, why publicly stating that he wants to leave the club in the summer?

27 minutes ago, MattCan said:

He clearly didn't honour his part of the agreement. Could he honestly say he helped the club as best as he could? Regularly not turning up for training on time must have been a real boost for his paymasters and team mates. I feel the owners have an ample get out clause.

3 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

It's the modern game and let's not forget we begged them for one more year and made them promises... he owes us nothing in fairness.

Beggars belief that he signed a four year contract with no buyout clause if his intention was to be here just for the "promised" 1 year.

The nature and timing of his public statement always smelled like an agent-based move, trying to weaken the club’s position of strength.  This summer is the club’s financial peak.  2016/2017 revenue will be in the Schalke / Roma league.  There is surely no need to augment it to cover transfers in.  Probably better to wait for next year.

Doesn’t mean a move won’t happen.  Just that the forces are not aligned in favor.  A genuinely rich club is going to have to decide Riyad will be better than their starters.  Or a moderately rich club is going to have to decide he is “the man” to build around, to justify the investment.  IMO he is a wonderful piece, but not a foundation piece.

Nothing in this saga so far is surprising.

22 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

We might of got 40 before he told the whole world he wanted out, 5-10 million off the asking price straight away.

Then he can knuckle down and serve his contract, or rot in the reserves and see if anyone wants him after 4 years of just training with the kids. No way we should accept having our pants down because he had a public hissy fit 

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

Then he can knuckle down and serve his contract, or rot in the reserves and see if anyone wants him after 4 years of just training with the kids. No way we should accept having our pants down because he had a public hissy fit 

Thats not football is it. Makes absolutely no financial sense for us to keep a player worth for arguements sake 30 million on 100,000 a week not playing football. 52 x 100,000 x 4 + 30,000,000. About half a seasons tv revenue and prize money pissing off one player out of spite. Not worth it. Surprised by you your normally a bit more objective than that.

Plus you have to look at the promises made to him when he signed his deal.   If they did actually say here's a contract give it a year if you want to leave we will sell you on then it's fair enough.

the realesing of the statement I don't agree with at all and assuming we were ready to sell anyway leaves a sour taste in my mouth, basically a come and get me public statement disguised as a thank you "just being honest like" letter to the fans although tbf to him most of our fans bought it so excellent PR.

I can see this being a bit of a saga myself, were gonna want a lot of money, he's gonna want he's wage matching, and let's be fair last season he was great in small periods but not anything commanding six figures a week and a huge transfer fee. 

2 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Thats not football is it. Makes absolutely no financial sense for us to keep a player worth for arguements sake 30 million on 100,000 a week not playing football. 52 x 100,000 x 4 + 30,000,000. About half a seasons tv revenue and prize money pissing off one player out of spite. Not worth it. Surprised by you your normally a bit more objective than that.

Plus you have to look at the promises made to him when he signed his deal.   If they did actually say here's a contract give it a year if you want to leave we will sell you on then it's fair enough.

the realesing of the statement I don't agree with at all and assuming we were ready to sell anyway leaves a sour taste in my mouth, basically a come and get me public statement disguised as a thank you "just being honest like" letter to the fans although tbf to him most of our fans bought it so excellent PR.

I can see this being a bit of a saga myself, were gonna want a lot of money, he's gonna want he's wage matching, and let's be fair last season he was great in small periods but not anything commanding six figures a week and a huge transfer fee. 

Spot on Imo, apart from the releasing of the statement which I think WAS honest and unambiguous. Rather that than him piddling us about.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Spot on Imo, apart from the releasing of the statement which I think WAS honest and unambiguous. Rather that than him piddling us about.

Got to disagree there. There was absolutely no reason to release any statement at this stage. He should have done that after a move was agreed. This smacks much more of a "come and get me", and cynical attempt to reduce his expected price.

11 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I don't think any of its dishonest, he probably meant every word.

i think you have to be very naive to think the motive behind it was anything other than letting every potential suitor know he's available to be bid on though. As has been stated by someone else,  if you want to thank the fans do so after you've agreed terms elsewhere. 

No point or financial sense keeping him on the books just need to be sure we get good dollar and move on.

He has been great to watch and made a huge contribution creating for others to perform

Not quite seeing where he would go but there will be plenty of interested clubs

18 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I'd rather in the circumstance that no-one bids what he's worth, he acts like a professional and keeps playing, but if he refuses then what? I don't agree that we should accept a derisory fee because he wants out, and for the future is argue it's better to show we won't be held to ransom by anyone. 

Gentlemans agreement to let him leave, granted, but similarly it's got to be the best deal for all parties, not the first thing that gets thrown our way, even if it's two buttons and a half-crown.

32 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I'd rather in the circumstance that no-one bids what he's worth, he acts like a professional and keeps playing, but if he refuses then what? I don't agree that we should accept a derisory fee because he wants out, and for the future is argue it's better to show we won't be held to ransom by anyone. 

Gentlemans agreement to let him leave, granted, but similarly it's got to be the best deal for all parties, not the first thing that gets thrown our way, even if it's two buttons and a half-crown.

I think everyone's aware it's going to be a club record sell when he goes I guess it depends on your opinion of derisory is. 

For me in the circumstances I think we're going to be hard pushed to turn down circa 35. He was a shadow of himself this season when he he felt at least obligated to play I can only see his performances going further south now that obligation is gone. We aren't going to get ripped off we just have less of a hand in getting really good money for him.

1 hour ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I think everyone's aware it's going to be a club record sell when he goes I guess it depends on your opinion of derisory is. 

For me in the circumstances I think we're going to be hard pushed to turn down circa 35. He was a shadow of himself this season when he he felt at least obligated to play I can only see his performances going further south now that obligation is gone. We aren't going to get ripped off we just have less of a hand in getting really good money for him.

Nobody seems to be chasing Griezman around the table either.....

I rate Mahrez, but it just might be that the game itself, has fell out with large major transfers.

Mahrez like you say @Pablo...might find his value bottoming out at £35mil.    

Arsenal may only be the big side interested.

Or the market hasnt yet really kicked off.....This forums panic on Shakespeare may have city fans pondering.

But lets be fair  CL final just finished.I see no rushing would be buyers around the world for anyone...

End of June deep into July might be this seasons market.

Archived