Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Would you still want Mahrez as a City player?

1 hour ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I think everyone's aware it's going to be a club record sell when he goes I guess it depends on your opinion of derisory is. 

For me in the circumstances I think we're going to be hard pushed to turn down circa 35. He was a shadow of himself this season when he he felt at least obligated to play I can only see his performances going further south now that obligation is gone. We aren't going to get ripped off we just have less of a hand in getting really good money for him.

It will be, in that it'll be north of 30m. That's still the sort of fee bolasie went for - with how mad the market has gone, a player of Mahrezs quality, with no release clause, should go for north of 40m. Less than that and with modern fees we've been done.

If we're offered less than we're happy with then we're in a position to say "no". 

Realistically, I understand that ultimately we don't want to hold onto an unhappy player, but as far as bargaining position is concerned we are in the driving seat. We are talking about a player who is a league champion, player of the year, seasoned international  and with solid European experience. He is highly paid and his contract has several years to run.

These all justify a very high transfer value.  We are under no financial pressure to sell. Moreover , if we have interest from more than one party, which seems highly likely at this moment, then a bidding wars does us no disfavours.

In setting the price we have to be very aware of how much we will have to pay for a suitable replacement, and can't afford to be taken for a ride.

The more I've thought about this I'd probably be happy to let him go for something like £25-30 up front and then another £15-20 million based on appearances/goals.

It's weird because this season, he's looked like about a £10 million pound player, so I can see why some clubs would be wary about offering the kind of money we're probably going to be wanting.

I think a compromise will have to be found from all 3 parties if a transfer is to happen (though I realise I'm just stating the obvious there haha)

If he stays we might see the Mahrez of the title winning season, it wasn't long ago that Ulloa said he would never play for us again, manager changes, Ulloa is back in a city shirt. If we sign some real quality players, and get off to a great start at the beginning of the season, then maybe Mahrez will get his old spark back and hunger for Leicester City.

But if he does go, then it should be for great money based on what he has and can do and not the dog dirt performances we've seen at times this season.

Some great points in here and a lot of it makes sense.

My opinion is that it's very difficult for a player who has publically stated he wants to leave a club to then remain at that club with the same feeling as they had before. Especially if there's been no indication that he's being forced out. If a player is not wanted, and wants to leave, that's a completely different matter. In this case, Mahrez is not being hounded out at all, yet still states he wants to go.

Personally, if he doesn't now leave, it will be strange to be singing his name, knowing that he actually doesn't want to be here. However, football fans are typically very fickle, so if he scored a couple of early goals, all would be forgotten I guess.

I think the best outcome would be a realistic transfer fee, and for him to leave the club. Realistic in my eyes would be around 30 mill.

3 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

Is there an official statement from Mahrez on his Facebook, Instagram or Twitter? Or is it just a quote in an article?

I didn't see one, but he's hardly tried to deny it.

5 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

Is there an official statement from Mahrez on his Facebook, Instagram or Twitter? Or is it just a quote in an article?

Its an official statement from Mahrez. I think its Facebook but I can't remember.

@Babylon might be right too though haha. On the fence me. 

4 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

just checked his official facebook page and can't see anything?

I think he might have just had a statement released to the media in general by him/his representatives without using a particular social media platform.

Just call me Threasa May but I've taken 4 minutes to back track rather than 4 days :P

22 hours ago, The_77 said:

His teammates would love to him back, the answer is clearly "yes."

Unless he plays like he did towards the end of the season, then NO. I don't want a player that doesn't want to be here. He was clearly thinking of a move, which I don't blame him. We all want new jobs and new challenges, but if he continues like that i'd rather him gone. 

Altho to caveat that, we should be allowed to get a decent offer or not sell. Can't sell a player for cheap just because he doesn't want to be here anymore

How will he play if he stays. Fact is he'll have to turn it on full tilt to get his name back out. Just hope he doesn't moan about not leaving the first time and get on with it. The new mahrez, better than the old mahrez

On 2017-6-5 at 11:55, maddog said:

If we sign Sigurdsson his total goals+assists for Leicester will be more than Mahrez's total for Arsenal next season.

You heard it here first folks, don't say you weren't warned :thumbup:

If... I'm pessimistic at best. We'll see.

Just saw him play with Algeria. Really seems to have lost a step. If we can sell him for a good 40-50 mil, I would be happy. If he came back I'd want him to know that he's no longer a golden boy. If he plays bad he will be replaced. Demarai Gray can handle his role and we can also look to buy another good winger this transfer season.

I doubt highly that it would ever happen but with Mahrez wanting desperately to get out and if teams are reluctant to hit our valuation which I would say would be aroundelighted the 40 mark... Maybe a part exchange would suit everyone. 

Mahrez would get out, the buying club would spend less and possibly move on a surplus player that would do a job for us. Of all the teams that he's likely to go to, I'm sure we could find a few players from each that would A, do a job for us. B, want to come and C, would be allowed to leave.

Like I said though.  Very unlikely. 

1 hour ago, USFox said:

Just saw him play with Algeria. Really seems to have lost a step. If we can sell him for a good 40-50 mil, I would be happy. If he came back I'd want him to know that he's no longer a golden boy. If he plays bad he will be replaced. Demarai Gray can handle his role and we can also look to buy another good winger this transfer season.

Suffered through the whole 90 mins here too. All 22 players on the pitch absolutely dire throughout first half. 

Thought Riyad was ok second half, played a fair few decent balls that could have been assists but didn't take on any shots himself.

Slim was terrible throughout, sadly. He actually seems better playing for us than for Algeria.

8 hours ago, USFox said:

Gray can handle his role? I'm not so sure

Archived