Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2017/18 U23s, Development, U19s etc

On 14/09/2017 at 08:42, Ric Flair said:

I know someone who had been involved in the academy for a number of years and it's a recurring theme to what's been said here. Some will say it's sour grapes but others will appreciate it's the pits and it's scandalous nothing has been done about it.

Does that mean they are not involved now?

If not it does show that there is change and progression.

I personally have no idea about the set-up and all my comments come from watching the few games I've had the luxury to watch this season and reading about them in previous seasons.

The set-up seems far from perfect but there are some excellent things in place - like the facilities and scouting - maybe people who are too close get to see from a skewered view point and fail to see the global picture.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Does that mean they are not involved now?

If not it does show that there is change and progression.

I personally have no idea about the set-up and all my comments come from watching the few games I've had the luxury to watch this season and reading about them in previous seasons.

The set-up seems far from perfect but there are some excellent things in place - like the facilities and scouting - maybe people who are too close get to see from a skewered view point and fail to see the global picture.

They were coaching one of the younger levels and have moved on. Very little has changed in the coaching of the U18 and U23's though for years. Ben Petty has come in and there was rumours the head honcho at Norwich was also coming in but that I'm not sure happened? Considering Beaglehole and Peake are still the main men I doubt it transpired. 

4 hours ago, FIF said:

Maybe a few years ago but I'm not exactly impressed with our player aquisitions since Walsh left.

Are our facilities that good now in comparison to top teams in the league? I actually don't know

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Maybe a few years ago but I'm not exactly impressed with our player aquisitions since Walsh left.

Are our facilities that good now in comparison to top teams in the league? I actually don't know

Maguire ?

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

I think FIF was talking about the scouting for our academy? Otherwise it has little relevance to this current discussion. Our academy has made changes to the recruitment side of business, David Johnson has left and been replaced but coaching wise it's still spearheaded by the same incumbents from many years ago.

That Hamza lad is useless...

“They [Arsenal] have some good players out there, one in particular in Calum Chambers. I think we had the best player on the pitch tonight and that was Hamza [Choudhury].

“I thought he was outstanding."

Beaglehole after last nights narrow loss.

2 hours ago, Micky said:

That Hamza lad is useless...

“They [Arsenal] have some good players out there, one in particular in Calum Chambers. I think we had the best player on the pitch tonight and that was Hamza [Choudhury].

“I thought he was outstanding."

Beaglehole after last nights narrow loss.

Not sure if anyone on this forum referred to him as useless...?!?   

Most of the comments I read simply referred to him not playing well Vs West Ham which is a valid point and in no way implies that he is useless. No point "blowing smoke up someones arse" when they dont have a good game

Even the very best players have bad games occassionally......but that doesnt make them useless 

• Like 1

On 14 September 2017 at 05:06, Foxy-Lady said:

why do people think that someone has "an axe to grind" simply because they try to enlighten others on issues within the system that needs to be improved to ensure that talented young players are given the right opportunity and pathway to develope and their talent does not go to waste...?!?

Strikes me that if you speak out about problems on this forum you get shot down by others as being "negative" or having "an axe to grind"  simply because you might know more about it than they do. 

From now on ill just happily keep my thoughts to myself and we can all rely on the LCFC media propaganda to tell us how wonderful the system is

I quite like your informed post please keep posting if only for me. ??

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dominicmsb said:

Choudhury and Knight in the squad tomorrow vs Liverpool. Knight must be highly rated. Little surprised George Thomas isn't included too.

Be interesting to see if the youth players get 90 minutes or will come on off the bench. Would give Choudhury the 90 to allow Ndidi some rest, will keep an eye on him as he didn't impress me much in pre season last year and he is going to have a tough test against Liverpool and how they press. Still only 19 though so have high hopes for his future.

Knight I would also start just because of his last ditch tackle in the Shefield game which blocked a certain goal. We know what Bennalouane can do, but then with Dragovic also coming in we may want Bennalouane who knows how the teams plays to help ease Dragovic in. I'd imagine Shakespeare will do similar to the Shefield game with Knight.

As for other players, would have liked to see Eppiah or Ndukwu over Musa but I ain't too fussed about that as I think Musa still has something to offer, just needs a confidence boost.

21 minutes ago, TheMightySystem said:

Be interesting to see if the youth players get 90 minutes or will come on off the bench. Would give Choudhury the 90 to allow Ndidi some rest, will keep an eye on him as he didn't impress me much in pre season last year and he is going to have a tough test against Liverpool and how they press. Still only 19 though so have high hopes for his future.

Knight I would also start just because of his last ditch tackle in the Shefield game which blocked a certain goal. We know what Bennalouane can do, but then with Dragovic also coming in we may want Bennalouane who knows how the teams plays to help ease Dragovic in. I'd imagine Shakespeare will do similar to the Shefield game with Knight.

As for other players, would have liked to see Eppiah or Ndukwu over Musa but I ain't too fussed about that as I think Musa still has something to offer, just needs a confidence boost.

Thomas is head and shoulders above any of the other attackers we have in the U23. I would like to see him in this competition as there's no point having him here otherwise, needs to be playing first team football.

21 minutes ago, TheMightySystem said:

Sadly yes

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Thomas is head and shoulders above any of the other attackers we have in the U23. I would like to see him in this competition as there's no point having him here otherwise, needs to be playing first team football.

Yeah, makes no sense to exclude him, if Liverpool drew Coventry in the cup he would be playing. He will only go backwards here without first team opportunities. Josh Gordon is another, 22 and experience in non-league, is he really going to improve just playing against academy kids? We don't seem to have a great record with forwards though, Dodoo is about it in recent times. Shame really, we gave Ulloa 2 more pointless years when it would have been nice to have an academy striker as 5th choice.

Edited by lgfualol
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, lgfualol said:

Yeah, makes no sense to exclude him, if Liverpool drew Coventry in the cup he would be playing. He will only go backwards here without first team opportunities. Josh Gordon is another, 22 and experience in non-league, is he really going to improve just playing against academy kids? We don't seem to have a great record with forwards though, Dodoo is about it in recent times. Shame really, we gave Ulloa 2 more pointless years when it would have been nice to have an academy striker as 5th choice.

We are also playing him out of position at right wing in the U23's and probably would if he ever got the nod in the first team. Get him out on loan in January to a Championship club.

Players do want to go out on loan but not often allowed.

I understand the club doesn't or tries to avoid propping the wages up. 

Some of the younger players are earning very well- maybe not that shocking.

U23s will feature more 1st team fringe/ coming back players as it should.

Claudio didn't care at all about the U23s and was uninterested in results.

U23s took hammerings as weak last year. Culture/ focus has changed and post Claudio they realize it demotivates hence a sprinkling of older players. Part of the reason that they do not particularly like loans as it leave the kids vulnerable.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

striker/winger isn't he? no reason not to put him on the bench

1 hour ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

U23s took hammerings as weak last year. Culture/ focus has changed and post Claudio they realize it demotivates hence a sprinkling of older players. Part of the reason that they do not particularly like loans as it leave the kids vulnerable.

Vulnerable? 

1 hour ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Who is "they"?  I think you'll probably find this is down to one/two people and their micro-management obssession.

More about personal control than player development...!

• Like 1