Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2017/18 U23s, Development, U19s etc

19 hours ago, brucey said:

Lots of them would have had loan offers in January, we could have let them go because we were basically already safe from PL2 relegation. But the way it has gone, keeping everyone here has proven to be an excellent choice. Instead of playing a handful of games at mid/lower Championship/L1, they got to play every week and more importantly are getting valuable experience in team spirit, the habit of winning and (hopefully) not bottling cups and league titles. 

The only evidence to support this claim will be how many of them progress to a higher level in their careers. Too early to judge this now

Right now, the only evidence you have is the fact that U23s are top of a league where their avg age is older than all the other teams they play against because other clubs send their better players out on loan (or through to 1st team!)  as soon as they have outgrown academy/U23s football (Liverpool U23s avg age was 18 when we recently beat them at KP Stadium). 

On this basis, our U23s are competing against younger/less experienced sides so you would expect them to be doing well...but consistently beating younger/weaker teams does not necessarily develope better players as the example of Celtic in the Champions league shows us every year (always win the title in an uncompetitive league but cant compete in Europe when they have to step up a level and face stronger opposition!)

IMO, Thomas, Wood, Gordon, Hughes, Iversen and Knight should have been out on loan in january to further develope their games (Barnes and Chaudhoury with 1st team) and enable likes of Pascanu, Johnson, Eppiah the chance to step up and develope their games.

Winning is inded a good team habit but Ben Chilwell did not come from a strong/winning LCFC U23 age group and he went out on loan to Huddersfield at 19 years old so i would prefer to think that testing yourself at a higher level aids player development better than rolling over weaker sides every week..

• Like 2

On 10/04/2018 at 12:59, brucey said:

Ever wondered how these stories always make it into the press just as players are looking to negotiate a better deal...?!?   I wonder if he has an agent?

Call me a cynic but I'll make an uneducated guess that Johnson will still be here next season......and that he might even earn himself an extra few quid and a better deal at LCFC as a result of this story...!

• Like 1

The bloody reaction on twitter I was expecting something horrific.... it's a bunch of teenage lads being silly twats twerking to music lol why on earth do some people over react to this shit?

The reactions of 'nahh that's gay man' are completely ridiculous too lollol 

*NB I didn't listen with sound on, was there any language that would have caused the reaction of some on twitter?

2 minutes ago, AjcW said:

The bloody reaction on twitter I was expecting something horrific.... it's a bunch of teenage lads being silly twats twerking to music lol why on earth do some people over react to this shit?

The reactions of 'nahh that's gay man' are completely ridiculous too lollol 

*NB I didn't listen with sound on, was there any language that would have caused the reaction of some on twitter?

It's not a over reaction. Cameras should be banned from changing rooms. 

And yes they are young lads ****ing about it happens but don't public share it. 

Just now, Ashley said:

It's not a over reaction. Cameras should be banned from changing rooms. 

And yes they are young lads ****ing about it happens but don't public share it. 

If we're talking about that side of things yes, sharing anything on snapchat should have been banned after thailand lol 

But the reaction on twitter isn't referencing that at all, and is incredibly homophobic too.

Mental, no idea who that Leon Knight lad is who shared it but he sounds like a complete cock

9 minutes ago, AjcW said:

If we're talking about that side of things yes, sharing anything on snapchat should have been banned after thailand lol 

But the reaction on twitter isn't referencing that at all, and is incredibly homophobic too.

Mental, no idea who that Leon Knight lad is who shared it but he sounds like a complete cock

Homophobic stuff is bang out of order I agree and how don't you know who Leon Knight is? :o

On 4/10/2018 at 15:53, FIF said:

I respect your point of view. I don't really think that because he trains with the first team that makes him better than others in the U23 set-up. I've watched a lot of U23 games this season. I think Barnes has skills and some potential but he goes missing a lot. I think for him to get in the team he would need to overtake Gray or Diabaté (and Mahrez if nobody takes him off our hands this summer). He's nowhere near their level. 

In my opinion Hamza, Sam Hughes and Josh Knight  have all played better than him and possibly George Thomas too. I also have hope for Johnson, Wood and Pascanu who perform well every week. 

There are a couple of forwards who, a little like Barnes, have some great highlights and some howlers Eppiah for example.

Very disappointed to hear today that we aren't doing more to keep Johnson. as I said elsewhere I'd replace Simpson for the next 3 or 4 games with him as he can't do any worse and it'd show us if he does have a future with us.

Barnes is by far our best attacking player at least. Barnsley fans also complained Barnes goes missing a lot. And at that point he was their joint top scorer. He has a strange knack of going missing but turning up to score goals.

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Homophobic stuff is bang out of order I agree and how don't you know who Leon Knight is? :o

Is it actual Leon Knight?!?! I thought it was a parody lol or just a namesake! 

I've twigged now, he's always been a nob head on twitter. 

11 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Is it actual Leon Knight?!?! I thought it was a parody lol or just a namesake! 

I've twigged now, he's always been a nob head on twitter. 

That's him, yeah. Second account though I believe. 

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

Barnes is by far our best attacking player at least. Barnsley fans also complained Barnes goes missing a lot. And at that point he was their joint top scorer. He has a strange knack of going missing but turning up to score goals.

maybe.

I think I like George Thomas more than him because he always seems to be in the game and working for others as well as taking things on himself but I can understand you preferring Barnes.

7 hours ago, FIF said:

maybe.

I think I like George Thomas more than him because he always seems to be in the game and working for others as well as taking things on himself but I can understand you preferring Barnes.

Barnes doesn't seem too much of a grafter but someone who's reading the game and positioning himself. He's often the right person in the right place at the right time for attacks. I can understand people wanting him to be in the game more, and hopefully his game will develop over the next four years towards that, but as a nineteen year old with the knack for an attacking movement and a goal he's hard to knock. Anyway, both he and Choudhury have seen first team action now. Hopefully they'll see a bit more. I'd like to see another defender get some first team time now. Four recent lcfc youth players in the premier league would be fairly incredible.

Barnes managed to make it there despite being on the first team bench yesterday.

Sunderland have been a bit of a bogey team for the U23s this season. Please don't bottle it lads lol

Live here:

Edited by brucey
  • Thanks 1

not good to lose today for our chances of finishing top. 

Win and we go top but level with Arsenal as we have better goal-difference. 

But lose and Arsenal are in the front seat, with Liverpool having a game in hand on us, too. Their game in hand is against Everton tomorrow.

We've got Derby at home last game and Arsenal have West Ham away.