Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2017/18 U23s, Development, U19s etc

Right if any of that lot have any ambitions to make it at this club they need to cut out the driving runs from midfield and that general front foot attacking play.

There's no room for that at this club. :D

46 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Admittedly I've only been watching the last 10 last 10 minutes but Barnes is head and shoulders above the other youth players

He's really not.

Our central defenders are head and shoulders above our other players and our defenders in general are much better than other areas. Barnes wouldn't be in my top 4 U23s.

5 minutes ago, brucey said:

Given that the manager is keen to promote youth, any youngster that doesn’t want to stay perhaps isn’t up to it??

maybe he sees Sam Hughes as being ahead of him and if he wants to play centre back then there is a difficult situation for him 

should sign a contract and ask to be loaned out to a championship club if we indicate he is fifth/sixth in line for centre half. 

20 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Given that the manager is keen to promote youth, any youngster that doesn’t want to stay perhaps isn’t up to it??

maybe he sees Sam Hughes as being ahead of him and if he wants to play centre back then there is a difficult situation for him 

should sign a contract and ask to be loaned out to a championship club if we indicate he is fifth/sixth in line for centre half. 

Just seems a shame he doesn't seem keen on RB, a few of us were hoping he could come in for Simpson the last few games due to our lack of options there and how good he looked going forward. But if he definitely wants to play CB, we've got probably 2-3 better options there in the youth team alone, so fair enough I guess.

4 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Erm...He clearly is. He trains with the first team every week. 

I respect your point of view. I don't really think that because he trains with the first team that makes him better than others in the U23 set-up. I've watched a lot of U23 games this season. I think Barnes has skills and some potential but he goes missing a lot. I think for him to get in the team he would need to overtake Gray or Diabaté (and Mahrez if nobody takes him off our hands this summer). He's nowhere near their level. 

In my opinion Hamza, Sam Hughes and Josh Knight  have all played better than him and possibly George Thomas too. I also have hope for Johnson, Wood and Pascanu who perform well every week. 

There are a couple of forwards who, a little like Barnes, have some great highlights and some howlers Eppiah for example.

Very disappointed to hear today that we aren't doing more to keep Johnson. as I said elsewhere I'd replace Simpson for the next 3 or 4 games with him as he can't do any worse and it'd show us if he does have a future with us.

a lot of these need to be getting a chance in the summer, whether it be in preseason or out on loan as they look decent players.

I by no means think Choudhury is our best u23 player but even he looked good enough to cope at prem level, theres at least 3 better u23 players than him who surely would do okay themselves? the entire defense you could argue deserve a chance each at some point for us the way they look. 

37 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

a lot of these need to be getting a chance in the summer, whether it be in preseason or out on loan as they look decent players.

I by no means think Choudhury is our best u23 player but even he looked good enough to cope at prem level, theres at least 3 better u23 players than him who surely would do okay themselves? the entire defense you could argue deserve a chance each at some point for us the way they look. 

Would include them all in preseason, then reassess the situation. Sending out in loan isn't always a great thing, you'd want them to get match time ofc, but sometimes going away sacrifices them learning to play the way needed to fit into the team. Look at Winks at Spurs, they didn't send him out on loan and he's doing fin. Obviously there's always exceptions, but generally you're wanting them to go to a club challenging for promotion rather than a scrap near the bottom

• Like 1

Lots of them would have had loan offers in January, we could have let them go because we were basically already safe from PL2 relegation. But the way it has gone, keeping everyone here has proven to be an excellent choice. Instead of playing a handful of games at mid/lower Championship/L1, they got to play every week and more importantly are getting valuable experience in team spirit, the habit of winning and (hopefully) not bottling cups and league titles. 

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Would include them all in preseason, then reassess the situation. Sending out in loan isn't always a great thing, you'd want them to get match time ofc, but sometimes going away sacrifices them learning to play the way needed to fit into the team. Look at Winks at Spurs, they didn't send him out on loan and he's doing fin. Obviously there's always exceptions, but generally you're wanting them to go to a club challenging for promotion rather than a scrap near the bottom

it would cost Puel his job I reckon, he needs to have the right mix of a few out on loan and others competing with the main squad; can't risk getting rid of space in the squad for all of the youths just yet.

2 hours ago, brucey said:

Lots of them would have had loan offers in January, we could have let them go because we were basically already safe from PL2 relegation. But the way it has gone, keeping everyone here has proven to be an excellent choice. Instead of playing a handful of games at mid/lower Championship/L1, they got to play every week and more importantly are getting valuable experience in team spirit, the habit of winning and (hopefully) not bottling cups and league titles. 

interesting take, can definitely see where your coming from with the idea of them forming team spirit as being beneficial. Lets hope we can see the benefits soon.

37 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

it would cost Puel his job I reckon, he needs to have the right mix of a few out on loan and others competing with the main squad; can't risk getting rid of space in the squad for all of the youths just yet.

True, but still stand by a strong u23 squad, with a winning mentality would do their development the world of good rather than some loans. But all depends on the loan club tbh, like sending them to Cardiff under Warnock where they play long ball wouldn't help as a season in the u23s

13 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

True, but still stand by a strong u23 squad, with a winning mentality would do their development the world of good rather than some loans. But all depends on the loan club tbh, like sending them to Cardiff under Warnock where they play long ball wouldn't help as a season in the u23s

Yes but there's so much more to the game they can pick up and learn from by playing in truly competitive professional environment along side seasoned pros rather than with their 'mates'.

Not actually a big fan of the under 23s. If their still playing in there and beyond 21 then their chances of 1st team /PL integration is virtually zero. They should be playing full time for lower league clubs. Much preferred a properly run reserve league were the genuine U23s play with the fringe/returning 1st team players against similar opposition.

This stockpiling of young players with potential by PL clubs does very little to enhance their chances. It would be better if the PL funded better couching at the lower league clubs or something along those lines where they get the chance to play 'proper' games.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Have you watched our U23s play very often?

The Goalkeeper hoofs the ball forward at every opportunity up to the front target man and we then scrap to compete for the loose 'second ball'.

We hardly ever try to play football from the back, hence one of the main reason why we produce very few (if any?) creative midfield players.

They should have been sent out on loan - winning the Under 23s is really only an accolade for the coaching staff rather than the playing staff. Playing them in a competitive environment, playing different styles, intense football is needed at the ages of the majority of these players. It's up to the club to make sure the loaning clubs have coaches who encourage youth or promote a style. 

• Like 1