Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wattolcfc

Jonny Evans

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Given that maguire hasn't had any time to build anything that's hardly a shock statement

however, if it's still true come December I suspect we will be having a very tough season 

Why?

27 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

Why?

In my opinion, Huth and Morgan as our centre back pairing would mean we are stuck playing it long from the back and I think that means we will have a tough time. Maguire has to be playing regularly which should mean that wes and rob are no longer our best  back two. 

58 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Huth was poor for months. Because he had his head turned and was basically not arsed. 

Or.... I'm trying to make a point. 

I think you are but the thing about points is that they are sometimes difficult to make when you have been drinking.

We went from 36 goals against in 15/16 with a difference of plus 32

to   63 goals against in 16/17 with a difference of minus 16

Fairly obvious that our defense needs serious upgrade. Huth & Morgan were both poor last season.

My point was....Mahrez gets slated for not trying last season - nobody suggests that characters like Huth weren't trying, but I would argue that a player like Mahrez will always appear to be trying less because it is so obvious when he fails. I think there were times during the massive slump when the only defender really trying was Simpson.

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

My point was....Mahrez gets slated for not trying last season - nobody suggests that characters like Huth weren't trying, but I would argue that a player like Mahrez will always appear to be trying less because it is so obvious when he fails. I think there were times during the massive slump when the only defender really trying was Simpson.

Say what you like about Simpson ..... He always tries

Would like Evans here. Morgan shouldn't be in the first team next year and Huth probably can't be relied on week in week out if we can get a decent player in. 

Last season without Kante we saw how exposed our defence was - Maguire was a great signing, I think Evans would be the perfect compliment. 

2 hours ago, gurru991 said:

We went from 36 goals against in 15/16 with a difference of plus 32

to   63 goals against in 16/17 with a difference of minus 16

Fairly obvious that our defense needs serious upgrade. Huth & Morgan were both poor last season.

Probably as much to do with losing Kante as anything else. There was an air of disharmony. Amartey was all over the place. Mahrez wasn't helping much so we were often outnumbered in midfield and our defenders must have felt like they were standing in the path of an avalanche at times. And all that as well as the added pressures and lack of recovery time due to Champions League commitments - which added games and a few goals to those totals you mentioned, particularly the virtual non-game against Porto away.

Other virtual non games were the defeat against Everton away and Tottenham at home with the squad decimated and the result not mattering much. I'm not questioning the need to improve our defence but the figures don't really tell the full story and I don't believe our once steadfast defenders have suddenly become useless at all. Football is a team game and while we clearly had one in 15/16 when we won the title, it was anything but a team for much of last season.       

5 hours ago, gurru991 said:

Not a chance !!! Evans, Maguire or Gibson would be ahead of Morgan.

1 hour ago, M0901 said:

Well that's a ridiculous statement

Morgan looked suspect until Huth arrived, he had a great season with Kante in front of him, as did Huth.

Once the rules changed last season their game suffered but we are better with Huth plus one than Morgan plus one.

I doubt Maguire signed to sit on the bench.

I'm certain that Evans won't sign if he thinks that'll be his position as well.

7 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Morgan looked suspect until Huth arrived, he had a great season with Kante in front of him, as did Huth.

Once the rules changed last season their game suffered but we are better with Huth plus one than Morgan plus one.

I doubt Maguire signed to sit on the bench.

I'm certain that Evans won't sign if he thinks that'll be his position as well.

20 million pound CBs are not coming here to back up Morgan or Huth. The rule change affected both players greatly as neither one is blessed with great skills or mobility. 

12 minutes ago, M0901 said:

Our title winning captain shouldn't be knocked off his perch just yet, I think he has another good season in him

Its a difficult one. For me the real issue is the fact he isn't particularly comfortable on the ball or very good at playing out from the back. I'd really like to see us playing the ball on the ground ore this season and keeping it better when teams back off against us.

32 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Its a difficult one. For me the real issue is the fact he isn't particularly comfortable on the ball or very good at playing out from the back. I'd really like to see us playing the ball on the ground ore this season and keeping it better when teams back off against us.

Fair point. We'll see what comes of it! Either way I'm expecting a better year than last, CL aside

Archived