Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wattolcfc

Jonny Evans

22 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Morgan moving back to the championship? The same guy that was an absolute rock the season before last and we were praying was fit for the champions league quarter finals.

Get a grip.

What he did the season before last counts for sweet f**k all. Its what he can do now that that counts. Slow, lacks mobility & poor on the ball.

10 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

What he did the season before last counts for sweet f**k all. Its what he can do now that that counts. Slow, lacks mobility & poor on the ball.

Just out of interest if their any player you wouldn't ship out? Going through your posts you would get rid of Mahrez, Albrighton and now Wes lol.

Championship for Wes Morgan? As I said before, get a grip. Even though he won't start ever week this season he isn't going anywhere let alone to the lower division.

Morgan,and to a lesser extent Huth, were exposed in the first half of last season. More significantly at the end of the season both were injured and we had Benny and Fuchs as centre backs! That showed our lack of depth and vulnerability.

Shakey appears intent on addressing this,we need a squad where there are two or more good players competing for every position.

2 hours ago, gurru991 said:

I thought it was shown a season or so back that he wasn't slow? Are you saying he's got slower?

10 hours ago, gurru991 said:

A bit harsh. He isn't great on the ball, true. Don't think he's as slow as people think but he is a club legend. The club captain that lifted the Premier League trophy. We can't stand on ceremony, I realise, but the guy gives his all every game and can be really bloody fantastic on his day. It is time for change and I personally would see Wes playing less this year - club captain for as long as he wants though. 

lcfs champions.jpg

1 hour ago, toddybad said:

A bit harsh. He isn't great on the ball, true. Don't think he's as slow as people think but he is a club legend. The club captain that lifted the Premier League trophy. We can't stand on ceremony, I realise, but the guy gives his all every game and can be really bloody fantastic on his day. It is time for change and I personally would see Wes playing less this year - club captain for as long as he wants though. 

Wes Morgan has been awesome for Leicester. He can never be accused of not giving it all on the pitch. I just feel that if we buy two centre backs then Morgan is going to struggle for playing time. Maybe he is OK with that but I can see moving on. Just my opinion. 

Personally think if we sign Evans too, we still need to keep the likes of Morgan and Huth, in particular for Maguire's education. The older two have been stalwarts and while they are not the forces they were, will be able to teach Maguire a great deal. To be fair to Morgan, at his age he has played a filthy number of games and he has played in a number of post season tournaments for Jamaica. A proper post season with rest will hopefully benefit him and he'll be fresher this season. I'd like to start with the current two and then gradually phase them out over the season.

Neither Huth or Morgan have ever been ball playing centre halves and in our winning season we didn't need them to be. They were brilliant at what they did and the stats evidence that.

Last season was different but I don't think it was necessary because they had deteriorated, I feel it was more down to a poor midfield that left them exposed. Drinky was trying to do two jobs at once as King and Armarty clearly weren't good enough. Mendy was injured.

Things changed somewhat when Ndidi arrived and for a first season in premiership football at his age he did exceptionally well.  He may well come on for that experience and with the inclusion of an experienced Ibora, further protection for our defence has been addressed. Yes, we need to plan for the future and Maguire looks to be a shrewd bit of business but I still see Huth and Morgan as excellent players for the type of game they play.

Whilst ball playing centre halves like Pique and Ferdinand exist, they are quite rare and come at a premium. Maguire has some promise in this way, but if you can't get or afford one then good solid spoiling blocking stoppers are the next best thing and Huth and Morgan have proved themselves to be excellent in that department. Let's not right them off too quickly. 

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Neither Huth or Morgan have ever been ball playing centre halves and in our winning season we didn't need them to be. They were brilliant at what they did and the stats evidence that.

Last season was different but I don't think it was necessary because they had deteriorated, I feel it was more down to a poor midfield that left them exposed. Drinky was trying to do two jobs at once as King and Armarty clearly weren't good enough. Mendy was injured.

Things changed somewhat when Ndidi arrived and for a first season in premiership football at his age he did exceptionally well.  He may well come on for that experience and with the inclusion of an experienced Ibora, further protection for our defence has been addressed. Yes, we need to plan for the future and Maguire looks to be a shrewd bit of business but I still see Huth and Morgan as excellent players for the type of game they play.

Whilst ball playing centre halves like Pique and Ferdinand exist, they are quite rare and come at a premium. Maguire has some promise in this way, but if you can't get or afford one then good solid spoiling blocking stoppers are the next best thing and Huth and Morgan have proved themselves to be excellent in that department. Let's not right them off too quickly. 

The simple fact is, we still need them both this season. Last season we had no real backup, aside from Benny. We had to play with significant caution, both with suspensions and injuries ready to impede us.

We could do with another, and I hope that we get someone in, but Morgan & Huth both have roles to play, and I hope they can contribute to decent campaign.

10 hours ago, gurru991 said:

Wes Morgan has been awesome for Leicester. He can never be accused of not giving it all on the pitch. I just feel that if we buy two centre backs then Morgan is going to struggle for playing time. Maybe he is OK with that but I can see moving on. Just my opinion. 

He has been great for us and I think he'll start the season with Maguire. Unless we get Evans in.

If he doesn't play then he'll struggle as his physic doesn't lend itself to natural fitness.

It's better all round  if the player decides to move on as it doesn't look as if were dumping him.

1 hour ago, foxinsocks said:

Can someone summarise the current position... is there any evedence we are trying to buy... or that he might come? 

Photographed on the same staircase as the LCFC squad earlier - something like that would be enough to send the gooners into meltdown if it was a player they were chasing !

2 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

Evans replacement?

Dunno, their back line is pretty ancient so probably needs some updating. Apparently they are also after Rannochia, so that could mean Evans might be on his way though? 

On 16/07/2017 at 13:12, gurru991 said:

Correct.

At his age he's not getting any better, and now he's getting injuries I think he could be quickly on the downgrade. 

The thing to remember about WBA is that signing a centre back might not mean he will be playing centre back for them. We all know big Tony Baseball Hat needs some extra CBs, so he can play 4 centre backs in defence, 2 more as wing backs, then bang a couple more in central midfield. I like to think he was first inspired to do this by our heroic league cup loss against Chelsea years ago, where we ran them close with Carl Cort up front and a midfield almost entirely comprised of right backs.

On 16/07/2017 at 12:22, toddybad said:

Its a difficult one. For me the real issue is the fact he isn't particularly comfortable on the ball or very good at playing out from the back. I'd really like to see us playing the ball on the ground ore this season and keeping it better when teams back off against us.

He might not have been comfortable but he was competent enough to help us win a title and more...playing in every game. 

Much of this is just FT members wanting to see their new toys in action.    

Morgan's better than some Premiership centre-halves with a bad back, blindfold and standing on one leg.

Year on year  he's given absolutely everything for our cause.

I remember Hernandez, a few months before his unlamented departure ducking out when someone whacked the ball fiercely towards him,  threatening to part his immaculately groomed hair.

Then there was Benny getting climbed all over by Benteke and looking like a schoolboy among stormtroopers as we were whacked by Kane.     

Benny had good days too and I don't doubt Hernandez as well in the warmer and gentler surrounds of Spain but I've never seen Morgan bullied once. He's put his body on the line time and again for our club and often as the last man standing. 

Morgan's never been quick but he's been there, big, strong and immovable like our very own rock of Gibraltar when the bullets were flying.  

This isn't a promotional exercise.

I don't know Morgan's current state but am happy to let Shakespeare decide who should play where and when, according to everyone's merits when the time comes.

Morgan and Huth have already proved themselves heroes - any new centre-back has got to make their name to make and I see no sense in pre-judging anything.            

Archived