Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wattolcfc

Jonny Evans

37 minutes ago, hejammy said:

The reason for Simpson is simply because over the last 2 seasons he has probably been our most consistent player. The amount of times he's actually come onto a more central defensive position to cover Morgan's lack of pace / spacial awareness shows that he could be quite good as part of a back 3. Huth simply does not have the pace needed now to be a decent CB in a back 3. If the wingback are caught out of position we need them to be able to cover and you need some pace for that. 

Taggart, Walsh and Elliott did OK,  not much pace there. Barzargli, Chielini and Bonucci are a none too shabby back 3 for Juventus,  no pace there either. Pace in a back three is nice but not the most important of attributes imo. 

47 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Taggart, Walsh and Elliott did OK,  not much pace there. Barzargli, Chielini and Bonucci are a none too shabby back 3 for Juventus,  no pace there either. Pace in a back three is nice but not the most important of attributes imo. 

Correct.  You don't need pace if you position yourself cleverly, use experience and don't get exposed.

11 minutes ago, pazzerfox said:

Correct.  You don't need pace if you position yourself cleverly, use experience and don't get exposed.

A cliché I know, but the Italians have had a knack of turning such players out for years, bet we could name 10 off the tip of our tongue! I don't pretend to understand why that is, but possibly its because some of them just love the idea of defending as opposed to being a frustrated midfielder? 

10 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

A cliché I know, but the Italians have had a knack of turning such players out for years, bet we could name 10 off the tip of our tongue! I don't pretend to understand why that is, but possibly its because some of them just love the idea of defending as opposed to being a frustrated midfielder? 

I think it's just having the knack of when to tackle, when to jockey, when to pass, when to lump it, where to stand etc.  If you watched the Spurs game last season when they thumped us, Benalouane had a nightmare against Kane.  He got outpaced, out-strenghted and out thought.  A more experienced defender would have altered their defending to cope with Kane's strengths.

11 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Burnley are also interested in this individual.

They've already got 5 Irishmen in their first-team thus far..

Not enough pound notes.

Of course he played in the Man U Reserve team for many years with Simpson, Drinkwater and James. They should all know each other well and could even be a reason for him to come to us. He is pretty much the same age as Danny Simpson, so they will have mirrored progress through the United Youth teams.

38 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Because thinking your way through the defensive process is a lot more comfortable than chasing people in the heat of Italy.

1 hour ago, Thracian said:

Because thinking your way through the defensive process is a lot more comfortable than chasing people in the heat of Italy.

Haha, I think you're dead right there! I have family in the South, hot as hell in August which is why they all get most of the month off work!

7 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

This is true however the 2000s game vs todays game is very different, and we all know how slow the Italian game is. There are not many teams in today's premier league with a slow back 3 (5)

7 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Memory might be a bit faded, but didn't Southampton score 3 against them threading the ball in behind to Ostenstad (was it?) It led to O'Neill buying Frank Sinclair who was very quick to prevent that happening again.

I do agree though that you don't need express pace to defend well. Organisation, positioning and good decision making can be far more effective. 

1 hour ago, hejammy said:

This is true however the 2000s game vs todays game is very different, and we all know how slow the Italian game is. There are not many teams in today's premier league with a slow back 3 (5)

The Italian game and the back 3 of Juventus didn't do too bad in Europe this year did they, particularly against Barcelona who would give a few of our supposed speedy Premiership sides a bit of a game. In fact these speedy superior Premiership sides have done bugger all in Europe for a long while. Weren't we the best this year. As a previous comment on here by Nickfosse acknowledged,  good defending is more about good organisation, positioning and decision making more than pace, particularly in centre backs.

23 hours ago, hejammy said:

The reason for Simpson is simply because over the last 2 seasons he has probably been our most consistent player. The amount of times he's actually come onto a more central defensive position to cover Morgan's lack of pace / spacial awareness shows that he could be quite good as part of a back 3. Huth simply does not have the pace needed now to be a decent CB in a back 3. If the wingback are caught out of position we need them to be able to cover and you need some pace for that. 

Without trawling through comments and getting a jist, did you just say Simpson should play CB?

3 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Wouldn't be totally outrageous to see Simpson play as a centre half, but only on the right side of a three.

The best centre half in the league has a similar physique.

He looks nothing like Virgil Van Dijk

Just now, Nickfosse said:

Who do you have in mind mate?

Cesar Azpilicueta.

As an ex-centre half I could watch him all day. He's comfortably the best defender the league has seen for a good 5/6 years now.  His appreciation of space, his knowledge of the striker's next move, his timing is all just world class.

He's let down by his body but even then you rarely see him out paced or out jumped because of his positioning and timing.

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

Cesar Azpilicueta.

As an ex-centre half I could watch him all day. He's comfortably the best defender the league has seen for a good 5/6 years now.  His appreciation of space, his knowledge of the striker's next move, his timing is all just world class.

He's let down by his body but even then you rarely see him out paced or out jumped because of his positioning and timing.

Simpson doesn't have the same level of positioning and timing though, so is likely to get caught out.

Just now, AKCJ said:

Cesar Azpilicueta.

Thank you. I shall watch him carefully next time he's on. Thank you for sharing your knowledgable insight into such things. 

On 8 July 2017 at 15:38, Nickfosse said:

Memory might be a bit faded, but didn't Southampton score 3 against them threading the ball in behind to Ostenstad (was it?) It led to O'Neill buying Frank Sinclair who was very quick to prevent that happening again.

I do agree though that you don't need express pace to defend well. Organisation, positioning and good decision making can be far more effective. 

That's right, unfortunately though Sinclair was then knocking them through balls in. 

So it sounds like Shakey is very keen on Evans?

I think he'd be an excellent addition and a realistic target. He's won trophys too and has vast experience for a 29 year old... peak of his career... Do it.

Archived