Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Happy Fathers Day!

5 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Slightly off topic and a small rant….

The local junior school that my three went to has Mother’s Day assembly and no Father’s Day assemblies…. It’s this kind of thing that perpetuates image of fathers as second string parents…. Really p@sses me off…. I was a full time single dad to my eldest two for many years and it was a bloody struggle at times…. Plenty of us dads are completely involved in bringing up our kids….

The days of the indolent father gently patting their progeny on the head from the comfort of his armchair before they scarper off upstairs to bed has been gone for years…

Rant over!

Get back in the kitchen! 

Lol

Happy father day, you are a good dad!

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

HFD to all the Dads on here. Looking forward to driving up to Leics later to see my old man.

The standard card and chocolate from the kids for me. Hope you all get something nice :thumbup:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Izzy said:

HFD to all the Dads on here. Looking forward to driving up to Leics later to see my old man.

The standard card and chocolate from the kids for me. Hope you all get something nice :thumbup:

And to you mate

The boy’s taking his old dad and mum in law out to see Top Gun later

Safe journey 👍

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 2

happy fathers day all. my eldest took me to brighton comic con at the AMEX yesterday, it was a good day out. but i have now spent more time in brightons stadium than the KP. will have to change that this season. hope you all have a good day

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

HFD. Was my 45th wedding anniversary yesterday and also 46 years to the day I met my wife. Daughter took us to afternoon tea so a combined celebration with FD. 

• Like 3

The standard sod-all for me from my daughter! lol

....except that she visited for a meal and nice chat last night. That'll do me. I didn't even know it was Father's Day until this morning and I doubt that she did.

This non-recognition of FD/MD is clearly a family tradition. At primary school, I remember using a cheese spread box and scrunched-up coloured tissue paper to make my Mum a beautiful case for her hair grips.

Her response? "You needn't bother doing that in future, love!" lol

I don't think it ever occurred to me to get anything for my Dad for Father's Day. He'd have laughed at the idea, though we got on enormously well and he's left a big hole behind. I think FD was much less of a thing a few decades ago.

I did get a priceless gift from a cousin a week ago, though: video footage of my Dad singing at a 1980s wedding (he was a great singer, unlike me)....unbelievable to have that, now. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

The standard sod-all for me from my daughter! lol

....except that she visited for a meal and nice chat last night. That'll do me. I didn't even know it was Father's Day until this morning and I doubt that she did.

This non-recognition of FD/MD is clearly a family tradition. At primary school, I remember using a cheese spread box and scrunched-up coloured tissue paper to make my Mum a beautiful case for her hair grips.

Her response? "You needn't bother doing that in future, love!" lol

I don't think it ever occurred to me to get anything for my Dad for Father's Day. He'd have laughed at the idea, though we got on enormously well and he's left a big hole behind. I think FD was much less of a thing a few decades ago.

I did get a priceless gift from a cousin a week ago, though: video footage of my Dad singing at a 1980s wedding (he was a great singer, unlike me)....unbelievable to have that, now. 

I think you are right  FD much less of a thing back then

3 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

HFD. Was my 45th wedding anniversary yesterday and also 46 years to the day I met my wife. Daughter took us to afternoon tea so a combined celebration with FD. 

Hfd and happy anniversary!

Interesting fact, yesterday was mine and my wife's wedding anniversay as well! Nowhere close to 45 years though. We come in at a measley 12 lol.

All i want for fathers day is a hug from the kids and their home made cards. While they are still young enough to do those i will take it. That will end sooner than later though lol.

• Thanks 1

My Father has early onset - detected last October, but the decline since has been rapid. He understood it was Father's Day today but has frequent episodes now that leave him in a state of prolonged confusion. Ironic that the thing that most defined him in his life, his brain, is what is now cruelly deserting him. Spent the morning with him, did some jobs around the house and got some shopping in - by the time I came to leave, he'd forgotten why I was there in the first place.

My daughter is making me dinner tonight and providing some light relief. Despite being very stimulating, challenging company, she has an identical shite, puerile sense of humour to me.  

HFD to all you wonderful Dads doing an amazing job, those who are doing a great job but think they're not, and thinking of those who are Dads without their children, children without their Dads, and those who want to be Dads but aren't. It's a fab time for those who are together, but pretty rubbish for those who aren't. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Hfd and happy anniversary!

Interesting fact, yesterday was mine and my wife's wedding anniversay as well! Nowhere close to 45 years though. We come in at a measley 12 lol.

All i want for fathers day is a hug from the kids and their home made cards. While they are still young enough to do those i will take it. That will end sooner than later though lol.

Hfd and anniversary too. Time does fly.

2 hours ago, Line-X said:

My Father has early onset - detected last October, but the decline since has been rapid. He understood it was Father's Day today but has frequent episodes now that leave him in a state of prolonged confusion. Ironic that the thing that most defined him in his life, his brain, is what is now cruelly deserting him. Spent the morning with him, did some jobs around the house and got some shopping in - by the time I came to leave, he'd forgotten why I was there in the first place.

My daughter is making me dinner tonight and providing some light relief. Despite being very stimulating, challenging company, she has an identical shite, puerile sense of humour to me.  

Such a cruel illness. Hope you enjoy your time with your daughter 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Line-X said:

I'm sorry, that's rubbish. I found initially that my good memories of my Dad were swiftly overtaken by those of him with dementia, and he was a different person. Towards the end he didn't know who I was, and I didn't recognise him either, it was heart breaking, I spent a lot of our visits in tears.

I also used to find myself driving down the A14 in the middle of the night, randomly, just to sit by the side of his bed while he was sleeping. I think that was some kind of coping mechanism for me, when he was awake he thought I was someone else, and he certainly wasn't behaving like my Dad when he was awake. To this day the only people who knew I did that are the care home staff. 

Now he's passed and the older memories are the ones I try to focus on. I think what I'm trying to say is try not to focus too much on the way things are for you all in the here and now, and to just try to enjoy your time together for what it is. 

I hope you and your family, your Dad included, don't suffer too much, it is cruel, and I wish you all the best xx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 daughters, both adopted by us but not related to each other. One bought me a really interesting book, a box of chocolates and a nice card.

The other has spent the last few hours texting me calling me a dirty, lying, selfish cvnt, a useless father who never supported her and lots more besides. 

She has some mental health issues, so nothing new really, just disappointing on FD. :cry:

• Sad 4

4 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

I'm sorry, that's rubbish. I found initially that my good memories of my Dad were swiftly overtaken by those of him with dementia, and he was a different person. Towards the end he didn't know who I was, and I didn't recognise him either, it was heart breaking, I spent a lot of our visits in tears.

I also used to find myself driving down the A14 in the middle of the night, randomly, just to sit by the side of his bed while he was sleeping. I think that was some kind of coping mechanism for me, when he was awake he thought I was someone else, and he certainly wasn't behaving like my Dad when he was awake. To this day the only people who knew I did that are the care home staff. 

Now he's passed and the older memories are the ones I try to focus on. I think what I'm trying to say is try not to focus too much on the way things are for you all in the here and now, and to just try to enjoy your time together for what it is. 

I hope you and your family, your Dad included, don't suffer too much, it is cruel, and I wish you all the best xx

Thanks Deb. A very moving, touching and sensitive response from your own experience. 

The signs were present, prior to the diagnosis, he didn't respond well to covid restrictions either and keeping him at bay was a challenge. We've come to recognise that he also has an acute autistic disorder that was never identified throughout his life, which in retrospect explains so much, including his academic brilliance - (he was a world leader in his field) - and the interruption that this illness is causing to his routine is therefore causing him extreme distress. I was round there late last night putting him to bed because he was too agitated about not being able to fold his trousers. He's also been receiving extensive treatment for bladder cancer and glaucoma. Fascinating, a few weeks ago I was running him to the hospital for some treatment and asked if his phone was charged so that he could call me when they had finished. Turns out he hasn't used the address book on his phone, he's simply memorised all the numbers because he finds that easier, yet today he was struggling to recall how to make a cup of coffee for my Mum. I think that the cruel thing about this disease is that it not only robs you of your memories, but your very identity - who you are. Also, this is first time in my life that I've actually seen him scared. He's not a man to betray emotions. 

4 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

Such a cruel illness. Hope you enjoy your time with your daughter 

Thank you so much. I did - she's hilarious. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

The amount of people on socials I seen spelling fathers “farthers” 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

Perhaps their fathers are a bit distant - and their mirthers are more humorous?

OK, I'll piss off to the Dad Jokes thread....:thumbup:

• 11 months later...
40 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Teenagers really are a waste of space. Both my lazy fvckers are still in bed, not even arsed to say happy Father’s Day.

Can’t even find any hint of a card or present so I’m off to the gym on my todd.

Fvck em.

Equally as piss poor in my house.

The eldest has forgotten to take the card and present out of her car and she's at work.

The other 2 are screaming down the phone at her.

I'm the step-dad, but they always get me something.

These are exactly the situations why I always remind them if they're going to get murdered, it's ALWAYS the step-dad!

• Haha 3