Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SheppyFox

Sam Clucas

Yes please. Widely rated as one of Hull's best young players and will only improve. I don't know why people are going on about 'squad players'. If we signed Clucas and played a central midfield three, he'd be in it. He's better than anything we have now (after Drinkwater and Ndidi).

9 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Yes please. Widely rated as one of Hull's best young players and will only improve. I don't know why people are going on about 'squad players'. If we signed Clucas and played a central midfield three, he'd be in it. He's better than anything we have now (after Drinkwater and Ndidi).

Clucas is 26, so he's not young. Also, you can only play a midifled 3 if at least one of them chips in with at least 8-10 goals a season. Clucas has 9 goals in 80 appearances for Hull mostly in the championship & Drinky is not a goal scoring midifielder anyway. 

7 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

Clucas is 26, so he's not young. Also, you can only play a midifled 3 if at least one of them chips in with at least 8-10 goals a season. Clucas has 9 goals in 80 appearances for Hull mostly in the championship & Drinky is not a goal scoring midifielder anyway. 

We don't play with goal scoring central midfielders though do we? To accommodate one, we'd have to change how we play  (which we could do, I'm simply saying we haven't done for ages). Clucas is a nice and tidy box to box midfielder with a good engine. 

I'm like everyone else, I'd love to see am attacking central midfielder at the club. Silva, Gylfi etc. But if we don't go that way, Clucas is a good player to have.

11 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

We don't play with goal scoring central midfielders though do we? To accommodate one, we'd have to change how we play  (which we could do, I'm simply saying we haven't done for ages). Clucas is a nice and tidy box to box midfielder with a good engine. 

I'm like everyone else, I'd love to see am attacking central midfielder at the club. Silva, Gylfi etc. But if we don't go that way, Clucas is a good player to have.

As we don't dominate possesion, it will be a 4-5-1 regularly. This means Vardy will be isolated. If we are going to pursue playing 4--3-3 we need a goal scoring midfielder. Also, the wide players have to chip in also. Look at Boro, they play 4-3-3 but have 3 average, box to box midfielders who don't score regularly meaning Negredo had to score all there goals. Anyway, the whole point in playing 3 in the middle is to either dominate possesion or play defensive football. If we were to play 4-3-3 we'd need a better attacking midfielder than clucas. 

16 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

As we don't dominate possesion, it will be a 4-5-1 regularly. This means Vardy will be isolated. If we are going to pursue playing 4--3-3 we need a goal scoring midfielder. Also, the wide players have to chip in also. Look at Boro, they play 4-3-3 but have 3 average, box to box midfielders who don't score regularly meaning Negredo had to score all there goals. Anyway, the whole point in playing 3 in the middle is to either dominate possesion or play defensive football. If we were to play 4-3-3 we'd need a better attacking midfielder than clucas. 

Clucas isn't an attacking midfielder. He's either a holding midfielder, or can play box to box in a midfield 2. As I said, we wouldn't sign Clucas if we were going to accommodate an attacking CM like Gylfi.

Id see Clucas as a straight replacement for Drinkwater when needed. Or in a solid midfield three.

I hope there's truth in this rumor personally. I see him as typical Shakespeare type signing (or Pearson for that matter). Solid, dependable, with a good engine. Much rather see him in the squad than some of the so called central midfielders we have at the moment personally. Just because he isn't a 'big name' don't mean he couldn't do a job.

Its all bollox probably anyway I guess.

1 hour ago, SheppyFox said:

What frustrates me is that you improve your squad and your depth by improving your starting 11, in turn pushing ex starters down the pecking order, hence the depth.

Exactly.

I'm starting get a bit concerned by some of these links. Some of them strike me as Dean Hammond, Luis Hernandez, Matt Upson types. Players who are just bang average at best and contribute nothing, but we're bringing them in purely to plug a gap.

Drinkwater was dosgshit for at least half of last season yet we had nobody good enough to replace him. We need to address that. We have plenty of average central midfielders. King, Amartey, Mendy. None of them are effective enough to start. The jury's out on James, Lawrence and Barnes.

We only need to sign one centre mid but he needs to be good enough to get in ahead of Drinkwater if his form is anywhere below that which made him one of the best midfielders in England before his form nosedived from December onwards.

17 minutes ago, jonthefox said:

Jesus wept. We can do better than this can't we.

This is just a rumor!!!!.  But in answer to your question  -  yes we could do better if we replaced the DoF and the scouting Team.

20 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Clucas isn't an attacking midfielder. He's either a holding midfielder, or can play box to box in a midfield 2. As I said, we wouldn't sign Clucas if we were going to accommodate an attacking CM like Gylfi.

Id see Clucas as a straight replacement for Drinkwater when needed. Or in a solid midfield three.

I hope there's truth in this rumor personally. I see him as typical Shakespeare type signing (or Pearson for that matter). Solid, dependable, with a good engine. Much rather see him in the squad than some of the so called central midfielders we have at the moment personally. Just because he isn't a 'big name' don't mean he couldn't do a job.

Can only see clucas coming in if James or King and Mendy leave. 

22 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

What is 'doing a job' though?

That usually translates to 'doesn't make many mistakes because he doesn't actually get involved enough for that to possibly happen'.

I can't stand seeing players on the field who don't have a specific function. Being tidy, solid or having an engine aren't enough at this level.

What I want to know is:

Are they going to make defence splitting passes?

Are they going to increase the tempo of our play?

Are they going to damage the opposition with pace?

Are they going to score goals?

Are they going to create goals?

Are they going to win a significant amount of tackles and make lots of vital interceptions?

Are they going to be a defensive leader?

These are the important things, things that make a difference in games.

10 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

How many goals? Assist? Key passes?

Well he was deployed as a DM the whole season, so I wouldn't expect his attacking statistics to be great. But to answer your question:

goals 3

assists 1

chances created 15

key passes 14

lol

He used to be a winger before last season so maybe he does have some attacking capabilities but was unable to show them due to his DM responsibilities.

You can't deny finishing 6th/8th for tackles/interceptions in his position & 4th in distance covered are impressive statistics.

10 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

360km distance covered - 4th best in the league.

89 tackles - 6th best in the league (midfield only)

54 interceptions - 8th best in the league (midfield only)

and...

88 accurate long balls :ph34r:

Source: https://www.premierleague.com/players/9100/Sam-Clucas/stats

Which is why he's better than anything we have after Drinkwater and Wilf. He's not an attacking midfielder. He's a solid, dependable midfielder. The type, incidentally, that we'd been built on for years under Pearson.

9 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

What is 'doing a job' though?

That usually translates to 'doesn't make many mistakes because he doesn't actually get involved enough for that to possibly happen'.

I can't stand seeing players on the field who don't have a specific function. Being tidy, solid or having an engine aren't enough at this level.

What I want to know is:

Are they going to make defence splitting passes?

Are they going to increase the tempo of our play?

Are they going to damage the opposition with pace?

Are they going to score goals?

Are they going to create goals?

Are they going to win a significant amount of tackles and make lots of vital interceptions?

Are they going to be a defensive leader?

These are the important things, things that make a difference in games.

You're again talking about a creative midfielder. Clucas is not this type. Re. Tackles and interceptions. Fine.

I get convinced the more I read that numerous comments on here are made by numerous posters who actually don't even know anything about the players they are commenting about.

lol

Archived