Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SheppyFox

Sam Clucas

2 hours ago, hornyhollthefox123 said:

Would rather Clucas than Hughes by a million miles. 

Again i appreciate people saying they're unsure on him but he was superb in a poor Hull side last year. 

Good utility midfield player and technically good. Not to mention the fact he outplayed our midfield in the game at the KP last year. Very much in the Yes camp for this one to give us more quality midfield depth. Could play centrally or wide. 

Good, well thought out post...

26 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

When you are in a relegation battle those stats can be skewed.

Tackles and interceptions are likely to be high as you are defending a lot more than team other teams - as an average.

Now hold on a mo...werent Kante's stats the best by a million miles in a side that won the league?

lol

2 hours ago, JayT - Always A Fox! said:

He is from Leicestershire area isn't he? If that is the case it may be a dream move for him. 

People are quick these these days to judge a player but you've got to look at the bigger picture. Yes it does seem a tad underwhelming but how many players have we signed with no "top level" experience that have turned out pretty well.

i also believe their is no age limit to progress hence Jamie Vardy.

He's from Lincoln actually, but was on our books as a kid.

Not for me.

1 hour ago, desertfox2 said:

Exactly. We don't need squad players we need signings that will improve our starting 11. 

Again, this makes no sense?

The 2016/17 season saw us using various different players in the central midfield. The evidence was that when we couldn't play Drinkwater (primarily Drinkwater) and had to use Mendy, King or Amartey, we got hammered. The worst example I can remember were a midfield pairing of Amartey and King...though I could be wrong on that.  

Unless Mendy does go on to be special, signing Clucas would give us BETTER than we have in the back up central midfield area. When Drinky and Wilf were injured or knackered, Clucas could come straight in as very able deputy. In this way, the squad is strengthening. 

Personally, I'd be happy now to offload King, Amartey and possibly James (unless he shows he can continue to compete at this level) with a view to improving the overall level of the players we have at our disposal in the central midfield area. Clucas would be suitable in this way.

Imo.

I'm lost. Can someone explain to me why it makes no sense to have a more able deputy than the current deputies?

Look at Chelsea last season. They didn't win the league because they could continually play their first 11 week in week out. They won the league because when they had injuries or suspensions to key players, they had a more than able deputy to come in. 

When we couldn't play Drinkwater last season we suffered.....because we DIDN'T have particularly able deputies to come in.

Am I missing something. This is 'having strength in depth isn't It?

For me...a central midfield of Drinkwater and Ndidi is good enough at this level. That is, if we continue to play in our current way. Where we are short is AFTER this pair.

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I'm lost. Can someone explain to me why it makes no sense to have a more able deputy than the current deputies?

Look at Chelsea last season. They didn't win the league because they could continually play their first 11 week in week out. They won the league because when they had injuries or suspensions to key players, they had a more than able deputy to come in. 

When we couldn't play Drinkwater last season we suffered.....because we DIDN'T have particularly able deputies to come in.

Am I missing something. This is 'having strength in depth isn't It?

For me...a central midfield of Drinkwater and Ndidi is good enough at this level. That is, if we continue to play in our current way. Where we are short is AFTER this pair.

The problem is you're assuming he's definitely better than what we already have after Drinkwater and N'Didi, we don't know that, for all we know Mendy and James could be better than him. If they are then this signing would be pointless.

23 minutes ago, matty98 said:

The problem is you're assuming he's definitely better than what we already have after Drinkwater and N'Didi, we don't know that, for all we know Mendy and James could be better than him. If they are then this signing would be pointless.

Yes of course. That is my assumption but I'm not only relating this to Sam Clucas. I'd relate it to any position we may have on the pitch. 

We've signed Harry Maguire now and it would not surprise me in the least if we don't start (if fit) with a CB pairing of Wes and Huth next season. I don't think we should...i think it should be Huth or Wes alongside Harry. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Huth/Wes again at the start.

The point is that Maguire is good enough to come straight in when needed. The team wouldn't lose much, if at all, if he played.

I say again...King is average  (we know this). Amartey is not a central midfielder. James is yet to prove he can return from such an horrific injury and play at this level (and let's have it right..even before the injury, James was pretty much ever-present in a midfield two in a team that were rooted to the base of the division for three quarters of a season) and finally Mendy...well we don't really know cos I don't think he's ever really been fit whilst at the club.

However, looking at the reports on the player, his stats and reading the opinions of some of the Hull fans, I think Clucas COULD be a very able deputy.

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Yes of course. That is my assumption but I'm not only relating this to Sam Clucas. I'd relate it to any position we may have on the pitch. 

We've signed Harry Maguire now and it would not surprise me in the least if we don't start (if fit) with a CB pairing of Wes and Huth next season. I don't think we should...i think it should be Huth or Wes alongside Harry. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Huth/Wes again at the start.

The point is that Maguire is good enough to come straight in when needed. The team wouldn't lose much, if at all, if he played.

I say again...King is average  (we know this). Amartey is not a central midfielder. James is yet to prove he can return from such an horrific injury and play at this level (and let's have it right..even before the injury, James was pretty much ever-present in a midfield two in a team that were rooted to the base of the division for three quarters of a season) and finally Mendy...well we don't really know cos I don't think he's ever really been fit whilst at the club.

Therefore...put it this way..when our CM pairing of Drinkwater and Ndidi can't play together, have you faith that ANY of the alternatives can come into the first 11 without the team looking worse? I don't think I have..

I'm not suggesting we stick with what we have and hope it works out. What I think we should be doing is signing a midfielder who will definitely be challenging for a starting spot, then we're improving the first team and the squad. I don't think Clucas is likely to displace N'didi or Drinkwater.

Maguire is a different scenario, I'm confident he can displace Huth or Morgan.

10 minutes ago, matty98 said:

I'm not suggesting we stick with what we have and hope it works out. What I think we should be doing is signing a midfielder who will definitely be challenging for a starting spot, then we're improving the first team and the squad. I don't think Clucas is likely to displace N'didi or Drinkwater.

Maguire is a different scenario, I'm confident he can displace Huth or Morgan.

Fair enough. That's the other way of doing it. .....Deciding that Drinkwater and Ndidi SHOULDNT be the starting pair and signing someone better to displace either of them. Thus strengthening the squad that way round.

Who?

If we aren't to change how we play the game (to accommodate an attacking midfielder like Gylfi) then who is available better than Wilf and Drinkwater.

Its ok to suggest we can get better than either of those two, it's another thing to identify them and to sign them. For instance, I haven't seen much evidence that the Silva deal could be back on? Unless I've missed something?

7 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Fair enough. That's the other way of doing it. .....Deciding that Drinkwater and Ndidi SHOULDNT be the starting pair and signing someone better to displace either of them. Thus strengthening the squad that way round.

Who?

If we aren't to change how we play the game (to accommodate an attacking midfielder like Gylfi) then who is available better than Wilf and Drinkwater.

Its ok to suggest we can get better than either of those two, it's another thing to identify them and to sign them. For instance, I haven't seen much evidence that the Silva deal could be back on? Unless I've missed something?

I think there's plenty of players about who would challenge for a starting spot who we could realistically sign. Delph, Cabaye, Wilshere and Joe Allen off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

The 2016/17 season saw us using various different players in the central midfield. The evidence was that when we couldn't play Drinkwater (primarily Drinkwater) and had to use Mendy, King or Amartey, we got hammered. The worst example I can remember were a midfield pairing of Amartey and King...though I could be wrong on that.  

Unless Mendy does go on to be special, signing Clucas would give us BETTER than we have in the back up central midfield area. When Drinky and Wilf were injured or knackered, Clucas could come straight in as very able deputy. In this way, the squad is strengthening. 

Personally, I'd be happy now to offload King, Amartey and possibly James (unless he shows he can continue to compete at this level) with a view to improving the overall level of the players we have at our disposal in the central midfield area. Clucas would be suitable in this way.

Imo.

It makes perfect sense, he's saying he'd prefer a better player than what we have already to go into the starting 11.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Imo.

IMO we need an upgrade on drinkwater not clucas so drinkwater would become the able deputy. Drinkwater just doesn't score enough from CM and we need more goals from players other than Mahrez who may go and Vardy

22 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Who?

I was about to reply to your previous post but you twigged on!

If we want to progress as club we really should be trying to strengthen the first 11 which in turn strengthens the squad anyway. The club also ends up with better squad players as a result. Obviously players can be brought in to do a certain job if we lack in that area but I think the overriding goal should always be to strengthen the first 11.

37 minutes ago, matty98 said:

I think there's plenty of players about who would challenge for a starting spot who we could realistically sign. Delph, Cabaye, Wilshere and Joe Allen off the top of my head.

I don't think I'd replace Drinkwater or Wilf, as first team starters with any of that lot personally. Possibly Allen at a push.

20 minutes ago, psychonaut said:

I was about to reply to your previous post but you twigged on!

If we want to progress as club we really should be trying to strengthen the first 11 which in turn strengthens the squad anyway. The club also ends up with better squad players as a result. Obviously players can be brought in to do a certain job if we lack in that area but I think the overriding goal should always be to strengthen the first 11.

Or as I've said, you do it the other way round. Assume you have your chosen starting pair (in this case the central midfield) then sign good and able deputies to keep them on their toes. Both Wilf and Drinkwater I suggest knew however they played, they wouldn't be displaced. 

It needs to be one way or the other for sure. Our strength in depth in that area ain't good enough.

Archived