Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

51 minutes ago, stix said:

I think we’re quite lucky where we live to be honest, regularly see Buzzards, Woodpeckers, and Finches chilling outside my window. Even had a lost Muntjac deer on the loose a couple of years back! The foxes shagging at 3am every other night can do one though!!!! 😂 

Yes we are, I've seen the kite you mentioned a few times, and I've seen what was possibly a kestrel? a few times. I hear a woodpecker quite often but only ever seen it once, early in the morning a couple of years ago down on the green. And yes the noise the foxes make is insane! I've seen them prowling around plenty of times. Not the deer though, I heard they live in the woods near us but I don't know if it's true. 

You can probably hear the owls too, but I've never seen them either. 

Nearly forgot the ducks, geese and swans! The ducks seem to like sitting on my neighbours roof oddly enough, and a few years ago a baby swan got lost and ended up on our driveway! 

Definitely lucky to live where we do, and amazingly they all live happily around my cat ;)

Edited by FoxesDeb
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Are you American by any chance?  Because it depends on where you live.  In the UK they're not considered an invasive species and there is no consensus that the species has a negative impact on local ecosystems.  Americans and Australians tend to feel differently because in those countries the prevailing attitude is that all cats should be housebound.  There are good, regional reasons behind it in those countries. But you're right it's a subject that draws strong feelings and it's let to a weird sort of internet crusade in recent times where any international social media site that brings the subject up gets inevitably swamped with US/Aussie zealots who get really worked up about it and try to impose their truth on every other cat owner in the world.  The cat I live with right now has caught a grand total of 2 mice and maybe a few earthworms in the 8 months he's been here, one of those mice died but I think the other escaped. That's not the sign of an invasive species by any stretch.

Well, you are right that the effect of cats in the UK is a lot less pronounced than elsewhere, and I am not at all advocating for their forced removal or binding to the house (it is worth pointing out that they do still have a detrimental effect on certain vulnerable ecological sites in the UK, although the average house cat will not be contributing to that). And you're also right that I'm basically a foreigner, although my ancestry and citizenship is so jumbled up and specific that even if I felt comfortable sharing it on the internet I wouldn't know where to say I'm from.

6 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Well, you are right that the effect of cats in the UK is a lot less pronounced than elsewhere, and I am not at all advocating for their forced removal or binding to the house (it is worth pointing out that they do still have a detrimental effect on certain vulnerable ecological sites in the UK, although the average house cat will not be contributing to that). And you're also right that I'm basically a foreigner, although my ancestry and citizenship is so jumbled up and specific that even if I felt comfortable sharing it on the internet I wouldn't know where to say I'm from.

You are a citizen of the world.👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Walkers in Syston, or if you are south, Coltmans ...   Walkers generally more helpful ..

I walked by there 20 minutes ago. They're still open. 

Edited by Webbo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

We saw a Red Kite over the back garden over the weekend.  So that makes Buzzards, Red Kite, Kestrel and Barn owls nearby.

Great isn't it - it's like that where I am. I remember once reading a post that somebody was on their way to North Wales to hope to sight a Red Kite and I felt guilty as out of my French window I happened to be watching one rip a baby rabbit to shreds on my back lawn.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Your Citizenship is Not in doubt...Thats legally binding...Your Nationallity, well to be Frank...( And I dont like Franks) we are all from some bastard tribal mix of the Human Cultural Melting pots of the world...the So called white English,( like me) ,Anglo-saxon,twist of Norman,snick  of Irish.Throw in the rest of European unknown kinships that sowed their seeds,and begat with any live Human moving target.No different in Eastern or Western Oriental Asian,Persian,African Land tribal,or old civilisation conquests or Mutual exchange......One reason Why Racism cant Stand up in any argument..

Now that to the side,

Tiger & Wolves are my favourite Animal I Don t particular like cats,but would do them no arm...We have Maybe 3-4 that arrogantly,' look at me' Cross and walk my Garden...Maybe Another 5-8 in the close neighbourhood .despite that Songbirds still nest ,Fly around our garden & village.

Some Song Birds,some seasons end up on Death row,when migrating back and forth..

# Stormy wind's & exhaustion %s Don t make it.

#Get caught up in nets..and into some countries oven pots

# Unexpected Winter Weather in some areas across Migration routes

# Virus & species epedemics

# Droughts across or in Migration routes..

This season we have had exceptions prolongued Stormy windy conditions,around the world effecting migratory routes,Swallows & swifts (  Bird that Spends its Life on wing) Being especially hit,Greece & other Stop-off lands reports birds found in 1000s in the field in the  streets

even dropping out of the Sky dying of exhaustion.

Obviously other migratory Birds will also be taking hits..!!

• Like 1

It has been great over the last 6 days watching a pair of Robins coming and going, feeding their young in the nest at the rear of our garage.

As recently as last night things were going well.

Mrs. FFF and I felt something was amiss this morning, we didn't see the parents once whilst having breakfast. A quick peep at the nest revealed all the chicks dead. :cry:

• Sad 4

Think I have the solution to the whole “cats are bad \ cats are good” conundrum. We have a pair of Jackdaw’s trying to nest in our chimney.

Lend me a cat to address above problem, and I will vote Pro-Cat :thumbup:

On 14/04/2020 at 20:46, stix said:

I think we’re quite lucky where we live to be honest, regularly see Buzzards, Woodpeckers, and Finches chilling outside my window. Even had a lost Muntjac deer on the loose a couple of years back! The foxes shagging at 3am every other night can do one though!!!! 😂 

Why would it be lost?  They've been living wild for more than 150 years in UK.  I often see them in Foxton.  I have even hand reared babies living in the bedroom in my wildlife rehab days.

Edited by murphy

11 hours ago, murphy said:

Why would it be lost?  They've been living wild for more than 150 years in UK.  I often see them in Foxton.  I have even hand reared babies living in the bedroom in my wildlife rehab days.

Because it was on the estate. 

With working from home I've had a lot more time to look out of the window at the birds in the garden. Decided to treat myself to some new feeders etc so placed an order with a local company Brinvale Bird Feeds near Melton. Arrived yesterday and spent a couple of hours cleaning the old feeders, chucking the old ones away and topping everything up with some nice seed mixes, sunflower hearts, dried fruit, mealworms and niger seeds. Moved the feeding station locations around a bit so this moring they are a bit cautious but have already seen robins, blackbirds, great tits, dunnocks, sparrows and goldfinches.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

It has been great over the last 6 days watching a pair of Robins coming and going, feeding their young in the nest at the rear of our garage.

As recently as last night things were going well.

Mrs. FFF and I felt something was amiss this morning, we didn't see the parents once whilst having breakfast. A quick peep at the nest revealed all the chicks dead. :cry:

gutted; I've had this happen in the past. Nature is a cruel mistress sometimes for sure

2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

With working from home I've had a lot more time to look out of the window at the birds in the garden. Decided to treat myself to some new feeders etc so placed an order with a local company Brinvale Bird Feeds near Melton. Arrived yesterday and spent a couple of hours cleaning the old feeders, chucking the old ones away and topping everything up with some nice seed mixes, sunflower hearts, dried fruit, mealworms and niger seeds. Moved the feeding station locations around a bit so this moring they are a bit cautious but have already seen robins, blackbirds, great tits, dunnocks, sparrows and goldfinches.

NIce!  We have noticed a significantly lower number of birds on our feeders this spring - our neighbours with a dog moved, and two cats have come in.  Need to rethink locations I think.

On 07/04/2020 at 07:28, Countryfox said:

9 little ducklings ! ..  good luck !

B02601FD-721F-43BD-B78C-A207E2A541E3.jpeg

On 12/04/2020 at 16:12, Countryfox said:

And then there were two ...   hang on in there lads !!    

96F03E00-6410-4B0C-A1E4-A0D64671DEA4.jpeg

On 12/04/2020 at 16:21, rachhere said:

Nooooooo :(. 

Two weeks now and we are down to the last one ...   but he’s still there ! ...   you can do it matey !!  

9AD9CE1A-464E-432D-BA68-E439099CFDB6.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Two weeks now and we are down to the last one ...   but he’s still there ! ...   you can do it matey !!  

9AD9CE1A-464E-432D-BA68-E439099CFDB6.jpeg

This is all a bit much :(.

On a more positive note, our night camera managed to get a snap of our badger friend. Just need to put down some nibbles for him so he stops for a bit longer!

DSCF0348.JPG

• Like 4

Im guessing this fits in the "wildlife" theme.
Way back in the day, the British introduced bunnies to Oz.... it was a disaster, they bred like.. well.. rabbits and threatened to destroy the young colonies crops. 

They decided to build the worlds largest fence... "The Rabbit Proof Fence"

While i was out and about today, i thought id take a couple of pics for our UK friends.... these are a couple of the remaining bits of fence and some info :) This pic tells about it.. the next is the remaining trap section.

image.thumb.png.c7864f109e36a9f32fed64fe0837c17c.png

• Like 2

Been wondering what had deterred the blue tits from completing their nest this year in the tried and tested box in the garden . 

Saturday morning I came down to find scattered brown feathers on the patio  - fearing for the female .blackbird nesting in the hedge  , presuming it may have been  a local cat.

Yesterday afternoon not 30ft in front of me came a sparrow hawk that landed on and carried off a fledgling starling from the lawn.I

mentioned it to a neighbour and he too had seen one recently -  buzzing his bird table ......

that explains it then 

3 hours ago, woollett the bullet said:

Been wondering what had deterred the blue tits from completing their nest this year in the tried and tested box in the garden . 

Saturday morning I came down to find scattered brown feathers on the patio  - fearing for the female .blackbird nesting in the hedge  , presuming it may have been  a local cat.

Yesterday afternoon not 30ft in front of me came a sparrow hawk that landed on and carried off a fledgling starling from the lawn.I

mentioned it to a neighbour and he too had seen one recently -  buzzing his bird table ......

that explains it then 

I like that sort of nature. Much better than the artificial one created by humans. 

#KeepYourMoggiesIn