Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

On 12/04/2020 at 01:04, Nicolo Barella said:

I have an Australian friend whose grandfather would shoot his neighbours cats if they didn't keep them indoors... He was a bit of a psycho, but if I had a birdbath or bird box and the neighbour's cat kept killing my visitors I'd start to get itchy trigger fingers as well.

If you want an easy way to keep cats out of your garden, try leaving coffee rinds out all around the borders of your garden, they dislike it. Usually that method is to discourage them from pooping in a certain area but it can't hurt if you go large-scale with it, you'd just need a lot of coffee rinds.

I think youd have to have serious issues if you were at a point where you were contemplating shooting your neighbours cat. Not to mention its a criminal act in the UK. Its part of their nature unfortunately. 

20 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

I think youd have to have serious issues if you were at a point where you were contemplating shooting your neighbours cat. Not to mention its a criminal act in the UK. Its part of their nature unfortunately. 

Obviously I wouldn't shoot my neighbours cat... I was just expressing sympathy for those who suffer from cats. And it may be in a cat's nature to kill indiscriminately, but it wasn't in their nature to get exported to basically every corner of the globe and ravage biodiversity wherever they go (seriously, the effect they have is devastating). I have very strong feelings towards their impact on the general health of nature, both in gardens and "the wilderness". 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Obviously I wouldn't shoot my neighbours cat... I was just expressing sympathy for those who suffer from cats. And it may be in a cat's nature to kill indiscriminately, but it wasn't in their nature to get exported to basically every corner of the globe and ravage biodiversity wherever they go (seriously, the effect they have is devastating). I have very strong feelings towards their impact on the general health of nature, both in gardens and "the wilderness". 

Are you American by any chance?  Because it depends on where you live.  In the UK they're not considered an invasive species and there is no consensus that the species has a negative impact on local ecosystems.  Americans and Australians tend to feel differently because in those countries the prevailing attitude is that all cats should be housebound.  There are good, regional reasons behind it in those countries. But you're right it's a subject that draws strong feelings and it's let to a weird sort of internet crusade in recent times where any international social media site that brings the subject up gets inevitably swamped with US/Aussie zealots who get really worked up about it and try to impose their truth on every other cat owner in the world.  The cat I live with right now has caught a grand total of 2 mice and maybe a few earthworms in the 8 months he's been here, one of those mice died but I think the other escaped. That's not the sign of an invasive species by any stretch.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Are you American by any chance?  Because it depends on where you live.  In the UK they're not considered an invasive species and there is no consensus that the species has a negative impact on local ecosystems.  Americans and Australians tend to feel differently because in those countries the prevailing attitude is that all cats should be housebound.  There are good, regional reasons behind it in those countries. But you're right it's a subject that draws strong feelings and it's let to a weird sort of internet crusade in recent times where any international social media site that brings the subject up gets inevitably swamped with US/Aussie zealots who get really worked up about it and try to impose their truth on every other cat owner in the world.  The cat I live with right now has caught a grand total of 2 mice and maybe a few earthworms in the 8 months he's been here, one of those mice died but I think the other escaped. That's not the sign of an invasive species by any stretch.

Are you sure about the number of captures? Of course, some cats are more of a problem than others. 

When I moved into my current house the garden was full of songbirds. A couple of years later and a new neighbour arrived, purchased two cats and within only a few months most of the small songbirds disapeared leaving just magpies and wood pigeons. The neighbours just dismissed it as 'nature' with a shrug of the shoulders. Previously we had nesting Blackbirds, Robins, Dunnocks, Green finches, all gone. The neighbours moved on about 18 months ago and I'm now starting to see a return of some birds. 

We now have a ginger Tom from a house over the road that is causing a problem. 

Owners that have problem cat(s) really need to be educated and take responsibility for their animals. At least keep them indoors during the nesting season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spudulike said:

Are you sure about the number of captures? Of course, some cats are more of a problem than others. 

When I moved into my current house the garden was full of songbirds. A couple of years later and a new neighbour arrived, purchased two cats and within only a few months most of the small songbirds disapeared leaving just magpies and wood pigeons. The neighbours just dismissed it as 'nature' with a shrug of the shoulders. Previously we had nesting Blackbirds, Robins, Dunnocks, Green finches, all gone. The neighbours moved on about 18 months ago and I'm now starting to see a return of some birds. 

We now have a ginger Tom from a house over the road that is causing a problem. 

Owners that have problem cat(s) really need to be educated and take responsibility for their animals. At least keep them indoors during the nesting season. 

Fairly sure, probably missed one or two that my housemate took care of but the cat tends to enter the house via my window so if he brings a catch back home I'm most likely the first to know.

I strongly echo your 2nd sentence and @Countryfox's sentiment above though, I have a friend whose cat is a dab hand at snaring birds and they refuse to put a bell on it to protect local wildlife because it's 'not natural' and that's just stupid.

• Like 1

Got a link on my phone to a bird app that shows what the bird looks like and if you touch the pic it gives a loud call for about 10 seconds ... heard a robin in the hedge when out walking so played it to him ...  Robins are spunky little fellas and rush up to see what was going on ...  first pic below there he sat ...   second pic after me playing it again is a great shot of him buzzing about with his wings folded in flight on his way to dive bomb me !! ...

5A71D1C9-179B-48B3-9242-3084F7DB173A.jpeg

Collars on cats are a bit of a no go apparently, I'm sure this has been talked about here before. People don't use them for a couple of reasons. One is that it's dangerous for the cat if they catch it climbing a tree leaving the cat at risk of strangulation, the other is that it teaches them to be more stealth like and thus better at stalking. 

I have a cat, he's absolutely one of my best friends. He's taught my children responsibility and compassion, he's a great companion especially now I'm working from home, and in the past he has given me a reason to get up in the morning.

He catches mice and the occasional bird, and we still have plenty of birds both visiting and nesting in the garden. The resident Robin in particular is very happy strutting about on our lawn, he just clears off if he sees the cat is around. I definitely haven't seen a decline in the number of birds visiting my garden. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Thats Why I have a Grizzly in One corner, & a Tiger in the other Corner of my Garden,if that doesn't do it, my pack of Wolves, pacing around the moat will see no moggy Cats kack in my garden.....

I have Lovely roses and hortensias, but all that  Grizzly,Tiger & Wolf shit is a pain..!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Haha 1

Cats shouldn't be allowed out in my opinion. I have a local cat that shits regularly all over my garden, it's ****ing disgusting and if I knew whose cat it was I'd be lobbing it at their windows. 

We also have very few small songbirds and now I know why

• Like 1

My old asbestos garage has fallen into disrepair and has a few gaps in it. Last year robins

nested in it randomly building the nest on top of an old kitchen unit I have in there.

It was great looking out of the living room window watching the adults coming and going,

every now and then I would sneak in and check the nest. Eventually all 5 eggs hatched

into chicks, they were so cute. They started off being very quiet with their eyes closed, but

after a few days they were chirping away with their eyes wide open.

Then I came home one day and looked out of the window but noticed the adults were 

no longer flying in and out of the garage. I went in to investigate and came across what

I can only describe as like a scene from a horror movie.

****in cats.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Cats shouldn't be allowed out in my opinion. I have a local cat that shits regularly all over my garden, it's ****ing disgusting and if I knew whose cat it was I'd be lobbing it at their windows. 

We also have very few small songbirds and now I know why

I have a litter tray inside, even though my cat does go out. She will come inside to use it and then go outside again. It's a pain to have indoors, but it's still important to do. We have no issues with birds visiting, but as I mentioned a few posts back, she's not exactly a skilled hunter!

I have what I think, judging by the noise they make, are magpies nesting in the eaves of my house. They make a right racket in the evening and early in the morning, and they shit everywhere, including all over my car. Bird shit on my lovely clean washing on the line outside drives me crackers too, never mind the cacophony that greets me at dawn from the birds congregated in the trees just outside my bedroom window. How am I ever supposed to have a lie in? If I could I'd set my cat on them. 

Fvckin birds are a menace :ph34r:

3 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Collars on cats are a bit of a no go apparently, I'm sure this has been talked about here before. People don't use them for a couple of reasons. One is that it's dangerous for the cat if they catch it climbing a tree leaving the cat at risk of strangulation, the other is that it teaches them to be more stealth like and thus better at stalking. 

I have a cat, he's absolutely one of my best friends. He's taught my children responsibility and compassion, he's a great companion especially now I'm working from home, and in the past he has given me a reason to get up in the morning.

He catches mice and the occasional bird, and we still have plenty of birds both visiting and nesting in the garden. The resident Robin in particular is very happy strutting about on our lawn, he just clears off if he sees the cat is around. I definitely haven't seen a decline in the number of birds visiting my garden. 

I think we’re quite lucky where we live to be honest, regularly see Buzzards, Woodpeckers, and Finches chilling outside my window. Even had a lost Muntjac deer on the loose a couple of years back! The foxes shagging at 3am every other night can do one though!!!! 😂 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I have what I think, judging by the noise they make, are magpies nesting in the eaves of my house. They make a right racket in the evening and early in the morning, and they shit everywhere, including all over my car. Bird shit on my lovely clean washing on the line outside drives me crackers too, never mind the cacophony that greets me at dawn from the birds congregated in the trees just outside my bedroom window. How am I ever supposed to have a lie in? If I could I'd set my cat on them. 

Fvckin birds are a menace :ph34r:

Won't be Magpies nesting in your eaves. They tend to nest high up in hawthorn trees or hedges. They make a large dome shape structure from twigs. Cats are usually not brave enough to take on a Magpie. We have one locally that loves to bully cats. 

Most likely to be Starlings. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Won't be Magpies nesting in your eaves. They tend to nest high up in hawthorn trees or hedges. They make a large dome shape structure from twigs. Cats are usually not brave enough to take on a Magpie. We have one locally that loves to bully cats. 

Most likely to be Starlings. 

I don't doubt you, I just assumed they were magpies as we seem to have lots of them and they're noisy! We don't see many starlings as a rule, but they do seem to be on the increase