Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lgfualol

Harvey Barnes signs new 4-year deal

13 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It is fair enough but it's alarming that he's deemed not ready to play in a meaningless friendly either in Hong Kong or back here. Shakespeare said himself he'd have used him back end of last season so somethings gone wrong recently. 

There are a few things to consider for starters, lets not forget that these games are actually about fitness more than anything. He's been playing far longer than any of the others currently in those squads because of the England games. As I said before, others were performing at a higher level than him, so I'd rather Lawrence gets a shot first and we make a decision on whether he's staying or going. They are going to be treading on each other toes if we try and include both of them.

11 minutes ago, Babylon said:

There are a few things to consider for starters, lets not forget that these games are actually about fitness more than anything. He's been playing far longer than any of the others currently in those squads because of the England games. As I said before, others were performing at a higher level than him, so I'd rather Lawrence gets a shot first and we make a decision on whether he's staying or going. They are going to be treading on each other toes if we try and include both of them.

Yeah I'm not completely disagreeing but with 3 games in 4 days, he'd have been perfect to play a full 90 minutes and prove his worth. Hopefully Lawrence gets a right good go as I'm convinced there's a PL player there ready to go. Get Barnes out on loan to a half decent Championship club and re-look at things in January.

How is the squad going to work with back-to-back friendlies this weekend? One squad to MK and another to Wolves? The same side to both but everyone only playing 45 minutes? Sure we'll see Barnes tomorrow at MK after his loan spell anyway.

Just now, Lovejoy said:

How is the squad going to work with back-to-back friendlies this weekend? One squad to MK and another to Wolves? The same side to both but everyone only playing 45 minutes? Sure we'll see Barnes tomorrow at MK after his loan spell anyway.

Barnes flew out to France today for an U23 tournament.

I am sure there'll be a few youngsters plug the bench at these two games coming up and then our main 20+ first teamers will start and try and complete 90 minutes.

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I am sure there'll be a few youngsters plug the bench at these two games coming up and then our main 20+ first teamers will start and try and complete 90 minutes.

I've just seen this, makes sense from his lack of activity with the firsts.

2 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

To be fair, Appleton's reasoning is much more clear than what I thought it would be and I don't have a problem with that. I can see why they're trying to get Musa and Lawrence all guns blazing, Barnes will benefit from a lot of football next season and then come and tear it up for us when he's back.

I mentioned it yesterday, I have a feeling it'll be a championship loan as part of a deal for Gibson from Boro or perhaps someone else we are looking at from that level.

Might be wrong but a lot of clubs are doing it now so would make sense. 

There's part of me that would rather keep him here and give him early cup game time, but we're a team that play 2 in midfield and already have five established footballers fighting for those spots, so a loan until january might well make sense.

25 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I mentioned it yesterday, I have a feeling it'll be a championship loan as part of a deal for Gibson from Boro or perhaps someone else we are looking at from that level.

Might be wrong but a lot of clubs are doing it now so would make sense. 

There's part of me that would rather keep him here and give him early cup game time, but we're a team that play 2 in midfield and already have five established footballers fighting for those spots, so a loan until january might well make sense.

Championship Loan? good idea.... give them the option of Musa,Mendy,Barnes,Ulloa,Okazaki.. or all lol  ...King:ph34r:

18 hours ago, shen said:

It was the Toulon tournament where England played a U-18 side. You make it sound like it was the senior World cup or something. He (and in turn the club) might be better served with a loan to a Championship club. But I understand the thirst for wanting a young Leicester lad to come into the team.

Fair enough, it wasn't the senior squad but it's still impressive nonetheless.

To be honest, it's no so much Barnes I want but a creative midfielder. Currently Shakey's bought in some solid new lads, but no one will who will link up play with our strikers. I'm worried we'll turn into the Stoke of a few season back, something more likely if we sell Mahrez. And Barnes seems to be one of the few players who could stop that happening.

Obviously if we sign a creative midfielder I'll care a lot less, but our transfer activity isn't even keeping up with West Ham's currently.

23 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

What tournament? When will we see him play? He's mentioned something on Twitter about getting up early in France but I can't see anything about it anywhere else.

Oh well, two weeks left until the start of a season to either pull a creative midfielder out of our arse or look to Harvey with steady eyes concealing mild panic: "You know Wilf, right? So... be like him, but... but... creates chances. Cool. Great. Onyougo!"

I doubt it though. If we seriously wanted to use him we'd use these matches to embedded him into the first team rather than send him to play some more football with the under 23s.

14 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

What tournament? When will we see him play? He's mentioned something on Twitter about getting up early in France but I can't see anything about it anywhere else.

Oh well, two weeks left until the start of a season to either pull a creative midfielder out of our arse or look to Harvey with steady eyes concealing mild panic: "You know Wilf, right? So... be like him, but... but... creates chances. Cool. Great. Onyougo!"

I doubt it though. If we seriously wanted to use him we'd use these matches to embedded him into the first team rather than send him to play some more football with the under 23s.

They're playing 2 50 minute matches today and then one tomorrow before moving in to a knockout phase.

Would much rather he was playing 90 minute games but oh well!

19 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Fair enough, it wasn't the senior squad but it's still impressive nonetheless.

To be honest, it's no so much Barnes I want but a creative midfielder. Currently Shakey's bought in some solid new lads, but no one will who will link up play with our strikers. I'm worried we'll turn into the Stoke of a few season back, something more likely if we sell Mahrez. And Barnes seems to be one of the few players who could stop that happening.

Obviously if we sign a creative midfielder I'll care a lot less, but our transfer activity isn't even keeping up with West Ham's currently.

Should Lawrence not get a chance ahead of Barnes though? The lad was player of the year for a Championship club after all. What signal does that send to Barnes and other aspiring youth players if you can't even get a look in having been acclaimed at a similarly sized club? I don't think either Lawrence or Barnes is the new messiah, but Lawrence has now constently proven to have end product at a pretty decent level, so he's likely not gonna drown when thrown into the deep end. Not saying Barnes would either, but he does represent a bigger risk.

Given our most recent campaign, I can understand if Shakespeare and the owners want to make sure we hit the ground running and dispel any relegation fears early. That should give breathing space for some experimentation later on.

5 hours ago, shen said:

Should Lawrence not get a chance ahead of Barnes though? The lad was player of the year for a Championship club after all. What signal does that send to Barnes and other aspiring youth players if you can't even get a look in having been acclaimed at a similarly sized club? I don't think either Lawrence or Barnes is the new messiah, but Lawrence has now constently proven to have end product at a pretty decent level, so he's likely not gonna drown when thrown into the deep end. Not saying Barnes would either, but he does represent a bigger risk.

Given our most recent campaign, I can understand if Shakespeare and the owners want to make sure we hit the ground running and dispel any relegation fears early. That should give breathing space for some experimentation later on.

Doesn't need to be either/or. We could try both of them.

On 26 July 2017 at 23:20, shen said:

I seem to remember him coming into central midfield against Porto, but haven't been watching him since tbh. Time will tell if it was a mistake not to involve him more than so far.

We do have Gray, Ndidi and Chilwell as U21s in the first team squad, so it's not like the management are refusing to play youths.

It was the Toulon tournament where England played a U-18 side. You make it sound like it was the senior World cup or something. He (and in turn the club) might be better served with a loan to a Championship club. But I understand the thirst for wanting a young Leicester lad to come into the team.

Can't help but feel he'd have been much better in behind Ulloa than Andy King tonight, 4-1-4-1 was as boring as James Milner's breakfast.

• 2 weeks later...

Rob Dorsett has tweeted saying Barnes is going on loan to Barnsley. Let's hope he has as good as impact there as he did at MK Dons - definitely the right decision for his development. Barnsley also did wonders for Matty James, I'm starting to like Barnsley!

23 minutes ago, Lichfieldfox. said:

Barnes will come good. I just hope we are loaning out until the start of the January transfer window. Bargain for Barnsley getting a player with Champions League experience.

I agree with you re the Jan bit but that highlighted part - it was about 15 minutes at the end of a dead rubber 5-0 down !! 

38 minutes ago, Lichfieldfox. said:

Barnes will come good. I just hope we are loaning out until the start of the January transfer window. Bargain for Barnsley getting a player with Champions League experience.

Half a season's experience in the Championship and back would be perfect since we're lacking creativity in midfield especially if Mahrez goes.

1 hour ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

That's a fantastic move for him, good club that play decent football at a steady level.

Lost all their decent players in the past year and look odds on for a relegation fight now though, wouldn't be the best move.

36 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

He'll do well for them. Sad he isn't part of the first team squad, but looks like we are mentoring him closely.

Club didn't go and see him once at MK up to CR leaving, possibly didn't after that also.....or if they did it was in hiding and didn't speak to him, even an 'hello' which is not normal.

Good move for him Barnsley

Archived