Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Burton Away - 1st August

6 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Anyone else remember a simliarly "poor" pre-season?

20 July 2013 Ilkeston 0 – 0 Leicester City XI [show]Ilkeston
24 July 2013 York City 0 – 0 Leicester City [show]York
27 July 2013 Corby Town 2 – 3 Leicester City XI [show]Corby
27 July 2013 Leicester City 0 – 3 AS Monaco [show]Leicester
31 July 2013 Coalville Town 3 – 1 Leicester City XI [show]Coalville

Remember what happened?

333FB6EA00000578-3554014-image-a-1_14613

CALM. DOWN.

Didn't we lose to Leamington in our first preseason game this year too? 

OMEN! 

(Sorry my font wasn't as subtle) 

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Couldn't disagree more. 

For starters:

• We haven't seen anything close to our strongest XI yet
  • Nearest we've seen to ur strongest XI was in Hong Kong. Against Liverpool. In 30 degree heat and high humidity. Which was only our 2nd game. And we were beaten by a wonderstrike. 
  • We've learnt our lesson from last summer, played more games to get fitness levels much better and have recorded much less mileage & planned much better. 
  • We've signed a young English CB & nicked Sevilla's captain, who are both looking very good IMO
  • We're about to sign a young superstar with his own PL record already. 

I'm not worried in the slightest. 

Thank f**k! For a minute there I thought we were in trouble.

I prefer it when we're not getting good results in pre-season. It's when we're hammering teams and it's all too easy that we should be worried.

I can understand giving the fringe players plenty of game time to assess things but what I don't understand is leaving Vardy out for 3 of the last 4 games. How is that beneficial to him or the team with the start we have?

We need him  match fit and firing on all cylinders if we're not going to be in the bottom 3 after the first 6 games.

9 hours ago, HoustonFox said:

You had some good preseason banter with Col.  Good run out from both of you I thought.  Looking forward to the new season! lol

?

Ive had Babylon on ignore for weeks. And will continue to do so. I haven't replied to one post of his in all this time

The second half was pretty good.  Created a lot of chances, just didnt find the back of the net.  No intensity in the first half, which needs to be improved at this point.  On Friday they need to play like they need to win.

And Musa was good, one of the best players on the pitch (not saying a lot i know)

James was good.  Gray was wicked and showed a bit of what he is capable of.  Back him all the way

Maguire is definitely a good addition.

Second half gave a few reasons to be cheerful i thought

Can we sack Benny off and bring in another quality centre back. He's genuinely terrible. Runs into the back of players because he can't win headers and gives away possession in our half with awful decisions at least 2 or 3 times a game. Shambles.

I was hoping we'd have Morgan and Huth as back up this year with Maguire and someone else coming in.

Second half much improved, good rhythm, playing the ball quickly is our game. Ulloa as a long striker never works, Vardy/Kelechi/Slimani would have finished more of those chances (22 vs 11 from Burton).

Having a ball playing CB (Maguire) makes a huge difference, would be nice to have another....

Iborra will struggle playing in a two man midfield away from home due to his mobility, in a 3 fine. 

Gray is learning to release the ball earlier, which is making a difference. Some nice early crosses that Slimani would have put away at least one.

Amartey isn't a right back (too narrow, gave Dyer too much room first half), CB backup is his position.

1 hour ago, Adster said:

Second half much better yes but more creativity is so desperately needed. 

Watching King at the no 10 role pass it back every time is so excruciatingly painful. 

Bit concerning how often King has been put at number 10 this pre-season. I think his attacking qualities have gone.

46 minutes ago, RoyFox said:

Second half much improved, good rhythm, playing the call quickly is our game. Ulloa as a long striker never works, Vardy/Kelechi/Slimani would have finished more of those chances (22 vs 11 from Burton).

Having a ball playing CB (Maguire) makes a huge difference, would be nice to have another....

Iborra will struggle playing in a two man midfield away from home due to his mobility, in a 3 fine. 

Gray is learning to release the ball earlier, which is making a difference. Some nice early crosses that Slimani would have put away at least one.

Amartey isn't a right back (too narrow, gave Dyer too much room first half), CB backup is his position.

Agree with all of that. Getting sick of Amartey playing 3 different positions.  Let him have his chances at CB and buy a right back

I gathered:

1) Amartey isn't a good right back - positionally he's poor and because of that he seems like he's not even as quick as Simpson. 

2) King is a dreadful no.10 - shock. 

3) Musa is clearly putting the yards in and worked really hard yesterday - to no avail.

4) James is very composed on the ball and could be a real asset to us this year. 

5) Iborra and Maguire are incredibly composed footballers - Maguire is a huge upgrade on Morgan and we became a serious threat when he actually aimed his passes at our players. I think once Huth is back from injury, Wes should be dropped. 

6) Ulloa... wtf. 

I honestly believe that Chilwell will be an excellent asset in the future. Going forward he is fine especially when paired with DG but in defence he is nowhere near ready to be in the first team. He is consistently out of position and gets on the wrong side of the winger. He is out muscled far to often. At the moment he would be liability in the prem. Just got to hope CF remains fit.  

Apparently there have been quite a few behind doors friendlies this year. And some of our first teamers have played in these for fitness purposes away from the lime light. Could explain why we haven't seen much of Slim, Okazaki and Vardes. 

Archived