Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Burton Away - 1st August

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

They didn't win because of their tactics but because of our woeful finishing. 

This is the way i'm looking at it tbh, but luckily weve got a decent finisher in Vardy and another probably coming in with Nacho

3 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Anyone else remember a simliarly "poor" pre-season?

20 July 2013 Ilkeston 0 – 0 Leicester City XI [show]Ilkeston
24 July 2013 York City 0 – 0 Leicester City [show]York
27 July 2013 Corby Town 2 – 3 Leicester City XI [show]Corby
27 July 2013 Leicester City 0 – 3 AS Monaco [show]Leicester
31 July 2013 Coalville Town 3 – 1 Leicester City XI [show]Coalville

Remember what happened?

333FB6EA00000578-3554014-image-a-1_14613

CALM. DOWN.

I remember those games, we trialled 3-5-2 for most of pre season and then ditched it like one game in during the proper season and went on our run...

6 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Yep - Against Championship defenders. But I agree there is something there that might, with the addition of another conpatriot, might come up and show many of us we were wrong!

We've seen supposedly better players struggle plenty of times against championship players.

All I want are players that can cause problems to teams. I don't mind players like him and slim who sometimes make howlers, because they can make things happen.

Just on the way back from the game. Second pre season game after Wolves on Saturday..

first half was very similar to wolves in terms of tempo and creativity. For the most part we looked quite blunt. Chilwell was effective on the over lap and looked quite dangerous, Ulloa (I'll come back to him!) missed a sitter with his head from 6 yards.

The defending was miserable first half, Morgan as usual for a pre season looked very unfit and the distribution of Benny was appalling. Second half we were a different animal lead by Mahrez in particular who seemed on a one man mission at times and had them on toast a few times second half until he went off. Gray took the baton from Mahrez and looked dangerous all of the time he had the ball. He was unlucky not to score and was less much frustrating that he has been.

Magiore looked sharp and as previously mentioned it's a shame we won't see him with Huth for a bit. Looks like money well spend.

Finally Ulloa... I just don't understand the thought process in keeping him around, he was dreadful. Slimani is still surely the upgraded version here?

bottom line we really need to improve when the season starts and as previously said we can take the results with a pinch of salt... quite a enjoyable evening abusing the Burton keeper all in all! 

5 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

This is the way i'm looking at it tbh, but luckily weve got a decent finisher in Vardy and another probably coming in with Nacho

Slim instead of Leo and we'd have scored 4 at least with some of the great crosses into the box.

5 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

I can't comment on the game as I didn't watch it. Was it bad? 

Not that bad, Burton had about 4 chances all game and scored 2! We did control it but poor final ball or finishing again.

Positives - Maguire looked good, Musa has improved and looks decent, James decent, Chilwell good, Gray lively

Negatives - Im a fan of Ulloa but he was awful, Amartey clueless, Benalouane poor and embarrassing with that tackle, king not good

9 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Too many touches of the ball? Oh god this season is going to be so hard to watch :( I was really pleased when he said he liked to play with flair but that clearly isn’t the case. 

Just got back.

First half was horrendous, 2nd half much better (couldn't get worse).  Mahrez on the ball was different class, we're in trouble if he leaves.  Gray changed us 2nd half, finally a player to run at them.  Hit the bar and post, some awful finishes from good chances, should have got a draw at least.  Thought Musa was good 1st half.

Ulloa was dreadful.

We need to bin any formation that consists of 3 in the middle. We are quite frankly, awful when we play with 3 CM's. I hope Shakey is just using these formations in pre-season so everyone gets some minutes.

4-4-1-1 all the way.

12 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Too many touches of the ball? Oh god this season is going to be so hard to watch :( I was really pleased when he said he liked to play with flair but that clearly isn’t the case. 

But did you watch the game mate? The tempo in the first half was a joke bearing in mind we were playing a team in the league below and we've already played 5 matches of preseason. I don't think he means he wants to see us lump it up there but Tags was spot on with his analysis; bring the ball out of defence and move it quicker. Think that's what Shakey is getting at because I'll be with you if he wants up to be pumping up top.

That second half shows what we can do if we up the tempo just a little bit.

Please people stop reading too much into glorified training matches. Nobody ****ing cares about beating Luton, Wolves or Burton.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Why have we not got a proper replacement RB for Simpson? Why not?

Are we really going into a Premiership campaign, banking on Amartey to deputise for Simpson if he gets injured?

Please stop picking on Amartey. I'd say LB is the real concern. It's time for Chilwell to show he is the real deal, or Fuchs to recover from last season where he was awful.

Christian Fuchs: Was dribbled past more times (52) than any other defender in Europe's top 5 leagues last season

Thought that was a very positive workout. Poor finishing and a few defensive errors cost us, but we were up against a decent side who are about to begin their season. We managed the ball better than in any of our previous games. They should feel very upbeat.

If we take Amartey and Chilwell for what they are - namely, young developing full backs who are still learning the game - then I think there was promise. I was very impressed with Maguire at the back, James and Iborra in the middle, and thought Ndidi also had a positive contribution. There were lots of good wide options - Musa was excellent, Mahrez was sharp, Gray did fantastically, Ndukwu had an eye-opening cameo.

Obviously Morgan looks a way off, and King was inexplicably far less willing than many of his colleagues to go in for 50-50s, or commit forward. Benalouane has rightly received a slating. Ulloa was wasteful, though I wouldn't dismiss him just yet.

But having seen that game, a friendly though it may be, my gut instinct is that the biggest danger for us is placing too much faith in our perceived first teamers. We have to be willing to bring Chilwell and Amartey on in their respective roles, allow them the odd mistake. We have to be willing to look at the alternatives to Drinkwater. We have to consider alternative wide options. And we can't discount alternative formations (what was that? a 4-2-3-1 with Musa, King, Mahrez as the three?). I certainly saw a great deal more positivity in that game than in the supposedly first team outing against Wolves. If Shakespeare keeps an open mind, he has options.

22 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

But did you watch the game mate? The tempo in the first half was a joke bearing in mind we were playing a team in the league below and we've already played 5 matches of preseason. I don't think he means he wants to see us lump it up there but Tags was spot on with his analysis; bring the ball out of defence and move it quicker. Think that's what Shakey is getting at because I'll be with you if he wants up to be pumping up top.

I thought Maguire was very good at this.

Saw bits if the second half. Was ok but no threat to some of the established first 11. Maguire was a cracking signing. Looks brilliant. Think he'd be great alongside Huth and I say that as someone previously expecting us to go Morgan Maguire for the season.

35 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Yeh I did and completely get what you mean. I’m just concerned at the line ups we’ve seen so far indicate a tendency to lump. I think the only think that has actually prevented it so far has been Maguire being a class above and wanting to bring it out from the back.

On a brighter not I enjoyed his honest about Benny, I like a manager whose not afraid to speak out 

Archived