Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Burton Away - 1st August

3 minutes ago, Quorndon_Fox said:

Chilwell, Iborra, Maguire, Gray - top quality tonight

ulloa, amartey, king, Musa - ****ing dreadful

Bennys tackle - what they hell went on for to him to pile in like that? Absolute shocker!

You thought Musa was dreadful?!

1st half- utterly dismal.

2nd half was actually pretty enjoyable; played with purpose, moved the ball quickly out to the wings, pressed high up the pitch.

Hopefully we can kick on now, we look far better when we attack and get at teams.

7 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

What did Shakey say about Benny? 

Shakespeare on Benalouane: “Reckless, would have been a red card for me. He’s got to learn from that. If he doesn’t he won’t be involved.”

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

Too many touches of the ball? Oh god this season is going to be so hard to watch :( I was really pleased when he said he liked to play with flair but that clearly isn’t the case. 

To be fair I think Shakey is right if by that comment he means we overplayed at times. I thought first half we were too elaborate on many occasions, ****ing up a number of half decent moves by playing one pass too many and un-doing some good work.

Second half we were much more direct. Got the ball out wide quicker and got balls in to the box much more frequently and we looked a lot, lot better. It was just lucky for Burton that Leo was always on hand to make some vital clearances.

Bit unsure about the love in for Iborra. Very good player no doubt but at the moment, does not suit us. Way too slow in terms of thought process and getting around the pitch. I understand he's been bought as calming influence but he has the quality to up the tempo and dictate play positively.

I think we have to write off the first half, other than that it was a good performance. Maguire is pure class, going to play for England one day and so is Gray if he plays like he did tonight. Could have won easily though, Ulloa free header straight at the keeper, hit the post, hit the bar, should've had a penalty, the keeper made two top saves. We have nothing to worry about judging of the second half.

2 minutes ago, DatfoxesKid23 said:

https://www.lcfc.com/match/22334#line-ups

mahrez and musa are listed as fowrads

https://www.lcfc.com/match/22332#line-ups

against wolves mahrez and albrighton are listed as midfielders

Well, to be honest, a 4-3-3 and 4-5-1 are pretty much the same formation, just more a 4-3-3 when attacking and then a 4-5-1 when defending.

Shite again. This has been a pretty shoddy pre-season so far based on performance.

The positives:

- The sun blocked my view for a while during that game. Based on what I saw, this can only be viewed as a positive.

- It's over.

- It wasn't a long journey.

- Maguire looks very good, Musa looked a bit more confident, Gray was very positive.

The negatives:

- Well, really, it can all be piled into one - why do we keep playing Ulloa, King and Benalouane? Those three shouldn't be close to our first team. How has Ulloa had more minutes than any other forward, King had more minutes than any other midfielder, and Benalouane had more minutes than any other defender, this pre-season? With just ten days until the first game, I find it completely baffling. Benalouane is a liability, after a short period last season where I thought "actually, maybe he isn't bad" he's confirming my fears that he is absolutely reckless. He shouldn't be anywhere near our side. King hasn't impacted a game in a long time and Ulloa just offers nothing these days other than free kicks to the opposition.

I hope Gladbach is a good performance and result. Pre-season results aren't the be all and end all but winning and losing are both habits - and we're well out of the habit of winning at the minute. The amount of basics we cock up is beyond belief.

Maybe it'll all make sense in a few weeks but so far I cannot figure out what our plan has been this pre-season.

People are worrying about a pre-season friendly in which Schmeichel, Simpson, Maguire, Ndidi, Drinkwater, Albrighton, Vardy, Gray, Okazaki and Slimani were missing from the starting XI; had Amartey at RB, Musa and Ulloa paired up front and against a team whose season starts in 4 days?

Really? 

Calm down people. 

54 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

People are worrying about a pre-season friendly in which Schmeichel, Simpson, Maguire, Ndidi, Drinkwater, Albrighton, Vardy, Gray, Okazaki and Slimani were missing from the starting XI; had Amartey at RB, Musa and Ulloa paired up front and against a team whose season starts in 4 days?

Really? 

Calm down people. 

There's every reason to worry...it's been a poor pre season and I think some people will be in for a nasty shock...I would consider us amongst the cluster of clubs that could be relegated. I'm not at all convinced...Should not have given he job to Shakey full time.  

28 minutes ago, Callabinho said:

There's every reason to worry...it's been a poor pre season and I think some people will be in for a nasty shock...I would consider us amongst the cluster of clubs that could be relegated. I'm not at all convinced...Should not have given he job to Shakey full time.  

Couldn't disagree more. 

For starters:

• We haven't seen anything close to our strongest XI yet
  • Nearest we've seen to ur strongest XI was in Hong Kong. Against Liverpool. In 30 degree heat and high humidity. Which was only our 2nd game. And we were beaten by a wonderstrike. 
  • We've learnt our lesson from last summer, played more games to get fitness levels much better and have recorded much less mileage & planned much better. 
  • We've signed a young English CB & nicked Sevilla's captain, who are both looking very good IMO
  • We're about to sign a young superstar with his own PL record already. 

I'm not worried in the slightest. 

That second half, and the spell against Liverpool showed we are going to do well this season.

Seriously people are worried about relegation with Mahrez/Vardy/Gray/Slimani/Iheanacho as our main attackers? There are ****ing goals there.

That's without factoring in Ndidi, who I think will have a massive season, Albrighton, Shinji, Musa and Lawrence.

Look we have some crap in our squad, but Shakespeare has quite rightly given everyone some game time in the pre season, he's not gone and fielded strong lineups, he's not gone demanding wins. He recognises that business really starts with Arsenal.

If you want to be worried about how shit we are then do it after 6 competitive games where it matters rather than 6 pre season games where it doesn't.

It's the start of a new season man, we have had some seriously good seasons in the past 10 years, so there's no reason not to be optimistic over this one. I don't give a shit about outplaying lower league sides, I give a shit about bloodying the noses of the big boys.

5 hours ago, Quorndon_Fox said:

Chilwell, Iborra, Maguire, Gray - top quality tonight

ulloa, amartey, king, Musa - ****ing dreadful

Bennys tackle - what they hell went on for to him to pile in like that? Absolute shocker!

Seriously I must have been watching a different game completely if Iborra was top quality and Musa dreadful.

Musa had a decent game for us, although I personally think that for all the game time he's had preseason he's not done enough to warrant staying with us, even if he has improved. 

Overall whilst the the result was poor and the first half dreadful, the second half was good and we should have scored a hatful. 

My my feeling is that Shakespeare has used preseason to give fringe players a real chance to stake a claim, hence why Ulloa, Musa, James etc have had so much game time. However, I hope he is now ruthless enough to bin the first two as they just aren't good enough. 

Our lineup versus Wolves is clearly our first team, but we were terrible and I worry that some key players like Vardy won't be fit enough for the first match. Our opening 6 games are brutal and we need to be at the races. 

Archived